C+E Training started today :)

I had my first lesson today and unlike I feared it went extremely well, due in no small part to John at Viamaster, Leeds.

I nailed the reverse exercise on my second attempt, and can now do it without prompting :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:, when I get a little out of shape early on I know what to do to bring it back, itā€™s also done in the new smaller area, which I think is easier.

The un/couple needs some work, I have my own way I want to do it but John has his, only small procedural differences (BLANCK vs BLACKN) but Iā€™ll come round to his way of thinking, he is the expert after all :wink: , Iā€™ve discovered that been a fan of Greggs doesnā€™t get the legs up/down very quickly :laughing: .

The road work went well Iā€™ve now got the idea of the right line to take, I just need to slow it right down earlier and hence get the lower gear earlier, the ā€˜weavingā€™ in and out of parked cars and driving like Iā€™m in a rigid got thrown out of the window after 5 minutes, I now ā€œglideā€ around obstacles, and as John puts it " allow the oncoming drivers to make the decision to let me through." Iā€™m going to blutack a drawing pin to the top of the gearstick on Monday, thatā€™ll stop me using it as an arm rest :blush: .

All in all, a good day, imo much better quality than the rigid training I did, even when Iā€™ve had time to reflect on the days proceedings and let the euphoria subside, John is very good at telling me what to do and instead of just ordering me about heā€™s also very good at explaining the reasoning, without being patronising nor sarcastic and at no time did I ever detect any exasperation, even when I got a bit flustered, although he did tell me off about my new found arm rest!

The truck is a 4x2, R reg, 430 bhp, DAF with 4 over 4 & splitter, coupled up to a 40ā€™ twin axle trailer, sheā€™s been to the moon & back and lacking toys, but sheā€™s well looked after and most importantly gets the job done without a fuss.

Looking forward to Monday :smiley: .

Brilliant day by the sounds of it your enjoying it and will learn better that way all the best with it and keep the updates coming until d day when we will all wait for the result :slight_smile:

all the best with it all

jenx

All the best with the training.

As I passed my C+E on the 28/3/12 its still quite fresh in my mind. Your right in that you do need to slow it right down on approach to roundabouts, junctions and where it gets quite snug between the stationary cars. On top of that you need to spend approx 60% of your time looking in to the mirrors, looking far ahead and so on and so forth. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Just try to relax and enjoy the time before the test, I know I did. Had a great time in fact.

Good post mate. I can feel your confidence oozing out of it - you will nail this, no problem.
(BTW, maybe a better choice of trainer than your previous thoughts :slight_smile: )
Alan

Thanks for the comments :smiley:

I have good vibes and am quietly confident.

Apologies to Pete Smythe, who I said I would be contacting regarding my training, but Viamaster was a company I hadnā€™t even considered until I was given 2 personal recommendations, They have a competitive price, 2 cpc modules as freebies, theyā€™re right on my doorstep, and training on an artic is a must for me.

Pleased you are enjoying it & have found a good trainer unexpectedly

Dont matter that the lorry is a bit on the older side less to go wrong :smiley: as you say get the job done with out fuss

Good luck with rest of training

Sounds like you are doing ok.

Best of luck this week and with your test on 4th. Hope kids keep their PS and TV :wink:

Apologies to Pete Smythe, who I said I would be contacting regarding my training, but Viamaster was a company I hadnā€™t even considered until I was given 2 personal recommendations, They have a competitive price, 2 cpc modules as freebies, theyā€™re right on my doorstep, and training on an artic is a must for me.

No apology needed - but thanks anyway. All the very best - sounds like itā€™s going fine. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Day 2 went well, gotta keep that bloody hand off the gearstick!!!

I did lots and lots of roundabouts & tight junctions today, visited the test centre, 4 reverses without drama, a couple of un/couples, forward planning is coming along and with it the anticipation & slowing down, just need to make my mind up on gear selection at junctions & roundabouts,

I did have one major drama in Middleton, Leeds, Iā€™m turning left at a T junction, taking part of o/s lane and need to take a bit of the oncoming lane of the road Iā€™m turning into, Iā€™d been waiting a short while and pedestrians had built up, off I went and just as the l/h side disappears from my mirrors some stupid bint puts her kiddy buggy on the road right where the trailer wheels are about to cut in :imp: :imp: :imp: , I stamped on brakes and told John, all Iā€™ll say is that he gave her a right proper roasting, many thanks to the oncoming skip driver that had also seen it and gave me time and room to get round.

Leeds city centre tomorrow :open_mouth: :confused:

These things are sent to try us and I bet you glad it wasnā€™t test day :wink:.

Another good day by the sounds of it.

Keep up the good work.

Ps. I also frequently use the gearstick as an arm or hand rest :smiley:

MADBAZ:
off I went and just as the l/h side disappears from my mirrors some stupid bint puts her kiddy buggy on the road right where the trailer wheels are about to cut in :imp: :imp: :imp: , I stamped on brakes and told John, all Iā€™ll say is that he gave her a right proper roasting, many thanks to the oncoming skip driver that had also seen it and gave me time and room to get round.

See, making like a Class 1 driver already, thinking of the children. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Bet Leeds turns out to be a doddle. Just keep your hand off your knob and you will be fine. :slight_smile:

My missus would never be at risk of getting a minor for leaving her hand on the knob thats for sure! :smiling_imp:

OnlyAlan:
See, making like a Professional Class 1 driver already, thinking of the children. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Bet Leeds turns out to be a doddle. Just keep your hand off your knob and you will be fine. :slight_smile:

FTFY, you missed out on bonus points there :laughing:

Iā€™m not too worried about Leeds to be honest, Itā€™s where I grew up, as long as I donā€™t get lost on the ā€˜highway in the skyā€™ like last time I was there Iā€™ll be fine.

John my instructor ā€˜finedā€™ me a fiver every time I kept my hand on the GEARSTICK, todays tab run to Ā£120 :blush: :open_mouth:

Sounds like going great , make a point of keeping your hands on the wheel when in your car as well at least for time being should sink in then , you can go back to your knob when passed as no instructor beside you then :wink:

all the best

Jen x

Jennie:
Sounds like going great , make a point of keeping your hands on the wheel when in your car as well at least for time being should sink in then , you can go back to your knob when passed as no instructor beside you then :wink:

all the best

Jen x

Tried that, it didnā€™t work, In all seriousness this is a huge problem and Iā€™m genuinely thinking of sticking something on top of that gearknob. I thought Iā€™d be really struggling with something obvious like mirrors or kerbs, not the bloody arm rest.

Once you pass your test Baz make the most of the gear stick there disappearing fast, they donā€™t want us to change the gears anymore they think a computer has a lot more experience anticipating gear changes, gimme an Eaton twin splitter any day.

MADBAZ:

Jennie:

all the best

Jen x

Tried that, it didnā€™t work, In all seriousness this is a huge problem and Iā€™m genuinely thinking of sticking something on top of that gearknob. I thought Iā€™d be really struggling with something obvious like mirrors or kerbs, not the bloody arm rest.

ok may sound daft but might work power of suggestion ,just keep repeating hands on steering wheel especially as you fall asleep if I need to remember somat I repeat it as im falling asleep and it works for me (look mad but you never know )
or get your instructor to tap your hand with a pencil when he sees your hand on gearstick , and trucky is right nearly all lorries have auto these days the newer they are but that wont help you pass this week eh !
all you gotta do is keep on steering wheel for about an hours drive im sure you can manage that and pass :slight_smile:
Jx

You could try placing an elastic band round said wrist trainer pulls it every time you leave hand on knob simple :laughing: :laughing: try you never know

Day 3,

Went okay I suppose, fluffed up my first reverse :blush: , forgot to check trailer brake before couple up :blush: , kissed a couple of kerbs on very tight junctions :blush: , started to move with a straight filter when I was going right :blush: However, anticipation is on cue, slowing down is also there (especially since the footbrake valve was changed last night), Leeds wasnā€™t that bad and best of all, I kept my hand off my knob all day :grimacing: :grimacing: .

Big day tomorrow, think I deserve a tot of brandy and a goods nights kip.

trucky1955:
Once you pass your test Baz make the most of the gear stick there disappearing fast, they donā€™t want us to change the gears anymore they think a computer has a lot more experience anticipating gear changes, gimme an Eaton twin splitter any day.

Your not wrong, we had most of our fleet of CF & LF replaced with Eurocargos and theyā€™re terrible, fortunately Boris has helped, as most of them have gone to london depots :grimacing: , and we got their 5/6 year old battered & bruised manual LFā€™s :laughing: