C+E training diary

Had my first C+E training this morning, 8am-1200, and overall did OK with it.

Having now been driving for a living for four weeks since passing Cat C, I thought I might struggle with getting back into the “learner” frame of mind on stuff like correct mirror checks, feeding the wheel etc but it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I think the fact it’s a different truck (and gearbox) again, with the addition of thinking about the trailer, helped to focus my mind.

Started off doing the reverse exercise, which was a bit of a learning curve. First attempt wasn’t too bad, but then had a couple of stinkers where I needed shunts to get things sorted out and I was getting a bit panicked, but then had a fourth go and took my time with it and got it in one so we left it at that for today - hopefully I can repeat the feat in the morning. Did the uncouple/recouple exercise - again, no problems just need to memorise the procedure - and then had a good couple of hours or so on the road around north Leeds and Wetherby. The only thing I need to pay more attention to is giving myself more space at junctions and roundabouts so the trailer doesn’t cut in too soon.

Got another four hours tomorrow, then my test on Thursday morning. Will update tomorrow if I get chance…

Good stuff.

Keep up the good work.

I’m looking forward to doing CE soon, probably be middle of May. Are you doing artic or wagon and drag? The latter seems more common these days.
Good luck with it, keep the reports coming.

doing artic or wagon and drag?

I need to pay more attention to is giving myself more space at junctions and roundabouts so the trailer doesn’t cut in too soon.

From the above, I think it’s probably artic. A properly matched wagon and drag needs no more space at junctions etc.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

It’s wagon and drag actually, I just meant extra room on junctions or roundabouts when turning rather than just following the kerb line as you would in a car or smaller truck

As Pete said, a WnD can be pretty much driven like a rigid if the combination is set up right.

dar1976:
As Pete said, a WnD can be pretty much driven like a rigid if the combination is set up right.

thats a reassuring thing to read as I’ll be doing C+E with Pete in a few weeks.
R

It’s not that it doesn’t follow the prime mover perfectly, as it does, or that it behaves strangely or unpredictably, as it doesn’t - it’s just a case of me remembering the extra length and size and adjusting my driving accordingly. It’s easy to forget the drag is even there, it’s that easy to get into!

Day Two went ok. Straight into reverse practice again and I nailed two perfect attempts so I hope I can repeat that in the morning. On the road was mostly fine, but I did end up covering a “keep clear” on two occasions which i need to watch out for tomorrow. Only other issue is remembering to check nearside mirror a bit more and watch passing vehicles through, and just concentrating on the test to make sure I don’t slip up.

Fingers crossed I can do it!

Good luck on your test, are you doing it at Thorpe arch? Doing mine from there on Friday. Who are you training with?

Yeah, at Thorp arch. Did class 2 there in Feb on test route around north Leeds.

Training with Elmet Driver Training from Sherburn

best of luck tomorrow

Best of luck Kev; I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you :slight_smile:

fingers crossed for you , :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You’ll be fine.

Go get that blue certificate :slight_smile:

PASSED!!! :grimacing:

Got nine faults, which isn’t great but it was a bit of a scrappy drive cos I was nervous and didn’t feel as relaxed with this examiner as I did with the last one. But no matter, a pass is a pass and I’m well pleased with myself! :smiley:

Cheers to Paul at Elmet Driver Training once again for getting me through it

That’s fantastic.

Well Done.

I knew you would do it :slight_smile:

Well done!!

Congrats Kev! No stopping you now. Happy days!

Congrats Kev :wink:

Spot on Kev. Nicely done indeed :wink: Hope to be reading about your exploits on the artics some point soon :grimacing: