C+E test - Wag 'n' Drag or Unit and trailer?

I’ve not even started my Cat C yet but interested in your views. I was reading a separate forum where the guy there said he had been driving class 2 and was wanting to do his class one but use a Wag ‘n’ Drag to do it in.

I wondered what advantages or disadvantages there would be in doing it this way ?

Adam27:
I’ve not even started my Cat C yet but interested in your views. I was reading a separate forum where the guy there said he had been driving class 2 and was wanting to do his class one but use a Wag ‘n’ Drag to do it in.

I wondered what advantages or disadvantages there would be in doing it this way ?

If you can it’s easier to go for a wagon and drag set up because you only need to learn one truck. When you then progress onto class 1 training it’s like driving with a burger van on the back and tbh you hardly notice it’s there as it follows the truck quite nicely. The disadvantage is that you won’t have driven an artic, but hey ho you can learn that after. The priority for you is to pass as quick as you can without spending too much on retests and a wagon and drag is certainly the best option to achieve this.

All imho of course.

I was wondering about this too. I’m going back to the same people I did my C with and they use the wagon and drag. I guess being used to the vehicle will help with the old jangly nerves. Getting that CE is the main thing. Itching to get into the artic though. Good luck with it Adam. When you hear the words “I’m pleased to say…” it’s the greatest feeling :smiley:

Seems to generally easier to do CE in W&D using the same type of vehicle you are used to

Can now get manual CE by doing it in auto which helps a little more - if already got car or LGV C manual

After passing it is recommended to do perhaps 4 hours on artic to get to grips with the differences especially in the coupling and reversing

Ive passed my class 2, I have the option of w+g or bendy to do the class 1. The instructor says wag n drag… It’s cheaper and easier to pass… I agree…BUT…The whole point of doing the class 1 is to get a job… Now, when you go for an assessment they will put you in a bloody huge bendy and expect you to drive it like you drive your car. This will end is a “Oh hell no , no way your driving for us”… So , how about getting your class 1 with a W+G and then some training on a bendy…4 hours here cost £140 and I would say that to pass an assessment you ideally need 8 hrs to be comfortable in knowing what you are doing and have a chance to pass the assessment and acquire the job… So 8 hours @£280 …

If you train on a bendy you will need 1 extra day to get used to the truck ( so to speak) @ £140…You might not pass first time and have to pay for the truck and test again @£255…£140 + 255…Thats nearly £400

So it all comes down to economics really … You have already passed in the class 2 so you know what your doing…The chance is high that you will pass first time…
Get a couple of days training in a bendy and cross your fingers at the assessment…

Thanks Richienic , done my Theory, hazard perception, cpc case studies, got my Module 4 on the 27th (my lucky number) then my lessons and test 1 st week of Feb. Coming from coaches and buses, I’m hoping that it will give me an advantage as I’m used to length (ooh matron) width and height etc.

Then hoping to do my C + E this time next year.

Personally, I would prefer to learn in a “bendy” simply because I’ve always wanted to drive one.

toshtwentythree:
Ive passed my class 2, I have the option of w+g or bendy to do the class 1. The instructor says wag n drag… It’s cheaper and easier to pass… I agree…BUT…The whole point of doing the class 1 is to get a job… Now, when you go for an assessment they will put you in a bloody huge bendy and expect you to drive it like you drive your car. This will end is a “Oh hell no , no way your driving for us”… So , how about getting your class 1 with a W+G and then some training on a bendy…4 hours here cost £140 and I would say that to pass an assessment you ideally need 8 hrs to be comfortable in knowing what you are doing and have a chance to pass the assessment and acquire the job… So 8 hours @£280 …

If you train on a bendy you will need 1 extra day to get used to the truck ( so to speak) @ £140…You might not pass first time and have to pay for the truck and test again @£255…£140 + 255…Thats nearly £400

So it all comes down to economics really … You have already passed in the class 2 so you know what your doing…The chance is high that you will pass first time…
Get a couple of days training in a bendy and cross your fingers at the assessment…

Or explain to a new employer the situation and if they are worth working for they will appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere. My new employers are sending an experienced driver out with me for a week to make sure I’m ok. I’ve never driven an artic but tbh I’m not that worried. Just take your time and get used to it innit. :wink:

w+d is easier. But most folks will end up driving artic. So I offer two ways of getting there: w+d then 3 hour conversion course on artic (certificate issued) or simply learn on auto full size artic from the outset.

IMO there is no right and wrong. This is why we offer the choice.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I had the option of artic or W+D and I went for artic. Passed first time and also as I have 15 hours driving artic under my belt so I now have the confidence to go and get artic work. Didnt see the point in training on something I wouldnt be driving after getting my license. For me the training was not just to pass the test but also to have somebody help with preparing me for the real world. Just my view and I’m glad i went down that route.

I quite fancy going on the timber lorries. A lot of them are wagon and drag so could come in useful.

What’s it like reversing in the w and d it’s easier tor reverse the arctic all a bit crazy for me I just want to is practice in the rigid first

You here people on here going from class 2 strait to class 1 that must be expensive in training surely no employer puts you strait in an arctic after passing 7.5 first eh

Passed in W+D.
Now holiday cover driver for my current work’s Artic (diary Is on here somewhere)

Didn’t find it any harder/easier. Just had to remember it didn’t bend in the middle but behind the unit.

Only downfall is I am yet to unhook/hook an artic. But I will get round to that some day.