C + E test, any advice please

Ok so i have just completed my second day of training, instructor says im doing really well and just need to polish up a few bits ready for my test. I just wish i had an extra day to go over all the dodgy junctions again. Have only got one more day of training left! Coupling and un-couping am feeling fairly happy with, driving on the roads in general confident-ish haha, hopefully go over the ones im worried about tomorrow, its just so easy to clip the curb with the trailer wheels and then its game over :cry: Tried the reverse excercise today and is harder than i imagined but am going to have a practice session again tomorrow and hopefully nail it. Find that talking to myself helps me remember what i should be doing, checking and looking for. On the whole im loving driving an artic but just wondered has anyone got any advice, i know im gonna be nervous as hell on the day!

Ok I’ll try and help. Firstly, forget the thing about touch the kerb and it’s game over. That’s too simplistic. Certainly you want to do your best to keep off them, but touching a kerb is NOT an automatic fail. It depends on the circumstances and what you did to prepare. To help with the tricky turns, just remember to make the unit go the long way round. Having done that, there’s nothing else you can do. The danger is in going too wide - so watch it carefully and drag it back towards the kerb as much as you dare. Avoid leaving room for a car up your inside unless there really is no choice. Aproach all turns steady. The lower the speed, within reason, the better and easier you make it. More time to observe and prepare properly in the gear and position departments. Rush it and it will lead to disaster more often than not.

Not going to get involved in the reversing as you’ve given no clue as to what you’ve already learned. But the speed advice is the same.

Talking to yourself is good. Advanced drivers give a commentary and that’s similar to what you’re doing. No examiner will be concerned about that.

No cure for nerves. Just imagine the examiner naked. I’m told that helps!

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Ok I’ll try and help. Firstly, forget the thing about touch the kerb and it’s game over. That’s too simplistic. Certainly you want to do your best to keep off them, but touching a kerb is NOT an automatic fail. It depends on the circumstances and what you did to prepare. To help with the tricky turns, just remember to make the unit go the long way round. Having done that, there’s nothing else you can do. The danger is in going too wide - so watch it carefully and drag it back towards the kerb as much as you dare. Avoid leaving room for a car up your inside unless there really is no choice. Aproach all turns steady. The lower the speed, within reason, the better and easier you make it. More time to observe and prepare properly in the gear and position departments. Rush it and it will lead to disaster more often than not.

Not going to get involved in the reversing as you’ve given no clue as to what you’ve already learned. But the speed advice is the same.

Talking to yourself is good. Advanced drivers give a commentary and that’s similar to what you’re doing. No examiner will be concerned about that.

No cure for nerves. Just imagine the examiner naked. I’m told that helps!

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

This was the reason given for me failing my first C+E test…just grazed a kerb with the trailer wheel as I approached a mini-roundabout… :cry: I thought…whoops…■■■■ up!!!

Perhaps the examiner thought there were other issues too. I wish he’d said so at the time!!

To the OP…Listen to Pete and your instructor as these lads know exactly what the examiner is looking for…good luck with the test!!

Thanks for your advice :smiley: my drive today went really well am feeling alot more confident on that, did alot of tricky manourvers today and they felt easyier thaN the begining of the week, can now see where i need to posistion myself for the turn. Not saying something wont go wrong on the test and i will make a silly mistake but if i drove like i did today should pass. The thing im worried about most is the reverse at the min, ran through it a couple of times today with the help from my instructor but didnt get chance to run through it totally un-aided. Im fairly happy with the first bit and the last bit its just the middle bit before you pick up the center cone in you driver’s mirror. Just hoping i can wing it tomorrow and pull it off, failing that gonna re-book it straight away while everythings fresh in my brain!

Good Luck for Tomorrow.

Just take it steady on the reverse so you have the time to correct.