C+E reversing arghhh

Started training monday I can drive it fine with trailer . Couple and uncouple. Not hit any curbs (wetherby has some unforgiving road) but can I hell get this trailer to play ball with me on reverse it just keeps making its own mind and end up needing massive corrections . Test thursday

What make truck you using?
Slow slow slow and little turns
Also don’t forget IT’S NOT A RIGID !

Its a man and its wagon and drag same rigid a done my class 2 in

Halliesdad:
Its a man and its wagon and drag same rigid a done my class 2 in

Auto or manual ?
if auto put it in the slow reverse setting
I’m doing mine in full artic daf

Yes auto mate in rm position get past post b then towards bay and all goes ■■■■ up lol end up with massive gap on os and too close to markers on ns

Halliesdad:
Yes auto mate in rm position get past post b then towards bay and all goes ■■■■ up lol end up with massive gap on os and too close to markers on ns

Just put it behind you mate.

listen to the instructors instructions 100%, and you will get it .

Slower you can go the better.
Never driven a drawbar but told they are exactly like artics so this advice might help.
Trick I used was if you see the trailer in your mirror steer into that mirror to get it out of the mirror. When it pops up in the other mirror do the same.
^ crude but effective, don’t think about what way to turn the steering wheel just use your mirrors.
I still use this method now, don’t even think about what way to turn the steering wheel, its all mirrors.

Also if you think thats hard pray you never get an A-frame trailer. :laughing: :laughing:

Hand at the bottom of the wheel, then turning the wheel left makes the trailer go left and right equals right.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Wetherby may have some unforgiving road but I can think of worse places to do a test, some of the routes out of Patrick Green, as a particular local example.

Slow and steady up there for the forward bits and should be no problem, its not particularly busy traffic wise

The major difference between w+d and artic is that the w+d will react much more quickly. This can be good or bad. It sounds as though you’re coming round B cone possibly with the outfit straight. That will send you to the perimeter line. Once B cone is “safe”, a little left hand down (remember, I said “little”) will bend it towards the garage. Then steer right to correct it and you should be in the garage. Now, giving bits of advice like this can often be helpful but, without seeing what you’re doing, I may not have helped you - but it’s worth a try.

For a failsafe method of getting into the garage, ignore the above!! Get it past B cone and go as far back as you reasonably can - but being sure you don’t trample the perimeter line. Now go forward, steering hard left and get yourself pretty well in a straight line. You must go forward to the level of A and A1 (the start cones). All that remains now is to shove it more or less straight back into the garage. Go steady with the steering. Very small twitches of the wheel and remember to catch it up again.

Don’t let pride get in the way of having a shunt. The vast majority of folks who screw up the reverse could pass if they just did this and use ALL the room.

Go steady, plenty of mirrors and good luck.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

The major difference between w+d and artic is that the w+d will react much more quickly. This can be good or bad. It sounds as though you’re coming round B cone possibly with the outfit straight. That will send you to the perimeter line. Once B cone is “safe”, a little left hand down (remember, I said “little”) will bend it towards the garage. Then steer right to correct it and you should be in the garage. Now, giving bits of advice like this can often be helpful but, without seeing what you’re doing, I may not have helped you - but it’s worth a try.

For a failsafe method of getting into the garage, ignore the above!! Get it past B cone and go as far back as you reasonably can - but being sure you don’t trample the perimeter line. Now go forward, steering hard left and get yourself pretty well in a straight line. You must go forward to the level of A and A1 (the start cones). All that remains now is to shove it more or less straight back into the garage. Go steady with the steering. Very small twitches of the wheel and remember to catch it up again.

Don’t let pride get in the way of having a shunt. The vast majority of folks who screw up the reverse could pass if they just did this and use ALL the room.

Go steady, plenty of mirrors and good luck.

Thats exactly what I’m doing it all goes wrong shortly after I’m not sure if its because trailer wheels are in centre of unit or just me

Using failsafe do I have to go as far as cones a

It’s foolish not to. A shunt of 2 feet is a driving fault. A shunt of 150 feet is a driving fault. Wish I had a pound for everyone who has thought they’ve done an adequate shunt - just to end up having to have another cos the first wasn’t big enough.

Put simply, having got the option of a very easy way of completing the exercise OR having to fight and struggle with it, which one are you going to choose?

Enjoy, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

It’s foolish not to. A shunt of 2 feet is a driving fault. A shunt of 150 feet is a driving fault. Wish I had a pound for everyone who has thought they’ve done an adequate shunt - just to end up having to have another cos the first wasn’t big enough.

Put simply, having got the option of a very easy way of completing the exercise OR having to fight and struggle with it, which one are you going to choose?

The 150 ft

Jimmy McNulty:
Wetherby may have some unforgiving road but I can think of worse places to do a test, some of the routes out of Patrick Green, as a particular local example.

Slow and steady up there for the forward bits and should be no problem, its not particularly busy traffic wise

Too true roads are dead and the only difficult part going forward is if they bring you back into the test centre via the long winding road with the awful junction at end lol

Peter Smythe:

Lets push the boat out and go 150ft haha

All you have to do now is to remember and don’t bottle on it. It doesn’t matter if you could have completed the exercise with a shorter shunt. It’s still just one driving fault - regardless.

The “150” feet is metaphorical. Just use all the available space and make it as easy as you can for yourself. Exactly the same as in the real world.

Go for it.