C+E Reverse! i'm 50/50

Hi all,

Training for my C+E at the minute, started on Saturday and have my test on Wednesday. When i’m doing the reverse sometimes i find myself getting the trailer all in the wrong place when it’s getting to the box and when i’m shunting forward i’m still ending up with it in the wrong place! However i still seem to manage to get it and it would be an acceptable pass, but the other 2 times i’ve hit the barrier slighty too though and once would of crossed the yellow line :open_mouth:

Any advice would be appreciated on how i could make life a little easier for me! once the trailer starts bending the wrong way I find myself sitting thinking which way do i need to turn the wheel to get it sorted out :exclamation:

I’m fine from starting off, it’s just once the unit and trailer is straight heading towards the box at about 45 degrees and getting the trailer to bend to the right to fit it in nicely.

I think i’m just having my “bad day” and i’ve only done the reverse 6 times, more practice tomorrow me thinks!

Martyn.

Generally, very little movement of the steering wheel is needed when the trailer and unit are most of the way in and the unit’s straightish with the trailer. Dont forget to give the trailer chance to react.

To help with getting the unit straight with the trailer, turn the steering wheel towards the mirror that has most trailer in it.

Hope that helps.

Hi Mate - It takes time but it will come to you.

My advise is - If you do need to take a shunt the most important thing is to get the back of the trailer pointing in the direction you want it to go. The position of the unit is less important.

MrMartyn1984:
Hi all,

Training for my C+E at the minute, started on Saturday and have my test on Wednesday. When i’m doing the reverse sometimes i find myself getting the trailer all in the wrong place when it’s getting to the box and when i’m shunting forward i’m still ending up with it in the wrong place! However i still seem to manage to get it and it would be an acceptable pass, but the other 2 times i’ve hit the barrier slighty too though and once would of crossed the yellow line :open_mouth:

Any advice would be appreciated on how i could make life a little easier for me! once the trailer starts bending the wrong way I find myself sitting thinking which way do i need to turn the wheel to get it sorted out :exclamation:

I’m fine from starting off, it’s just once the unit and trailer is straight heading towards the box at about 45 degrees and getting the trailer to bend to the right to fit it in nicely.

I think i’m just having my “bad day” and i’ve only done the reverse 6 times, more practice tomorrow me thinks!

Martyn.

Don’t panic - you just need more practice. You’re paying your instructor a lot of money to pass your test so don’t be afraid to ask him to help with any specific problem. I only passed a few months ago and can’t really help with the more technical part of your questions. But when it comes to correcting the path of a trailer, I have a simple tip that helped me not just for my test, but also in the real world and it goes like this - when the trailer goes the wrong way steer towards the mirror on that side.

This soon straightens the thing up. If you’ve gone too far, then you can take a shunt (or even 2) on your test. They’re not free, they cost you a minor, but at least if you have no more problems, then at least you won’t fail before you get out of the test centre.

Everyone has their own way of cracking the reversing. For those that struggle we use a basic plan that works quite well.

From the starting position between the 2 cones, when you start to move backwards turn the wheel a full 360 degree turn clockwise (to the right). When the truck wheels are about 12 inches from the yellow line turn the steering wheel 4 complete turns to the left.

This usually is enough to make the trailer miss cone B (the centre cone) at the same time not letting the truck get too near the line.

From there turn the steering wheel towards whichever mirror you can see the trailer in. This will straighten the vehicle up.

The secret is to not let the vehicle develop too much of a bend with the trailer.

Don’t be afraid to take a shunt or even 2 if needed. A minor fault is always better than a tick in the ‘S’ column for hitting a cone or crossing the yellow line.

As always practice makes perfect.

Regards

John

This is one hell of a topic. I have nightmares about reversing. When I was in Erp, Holland I asked my partner to Youtube some videos for me, I couldn’t watch them cos the internet kept dying on me:-

youtube.com/watch?v=IyXBhd6HO-I

youtube.com/watch?v=kH6fFjIZkB0&feature=fvw this is right hand drive

youtube.com/watch?v=Cmw-Rodz59U

youtube.com/watch?v=Cmw-Rodz59U you never know might help

youtube.com/watch?v=tv9vetgS … re=related watch the wheels (might help)

youtube.com/watch?v=0lcMsu5N … re=related right hand drive, but you can see driver and wheels