C + E or ADR

Afternoon all,

I have just passed my class C and looking at either booking on to class 1 or Adr to increase my opportunities of employment.

I know it’s hard at getting a job because of the lack of experience but which would you choose?

Thanks

IMO it’s a no brainer. Go for CE unless you have a job offer dependent on ADR.

With CE you are obviously qualified for artics, but you are “super” qualified for C and will open more doors. Operators with a mix of C and CE will sometimes only employ CE drivers so as to ensure flexibility.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
IMO it’s a no brainer. Go for CE unless you have a job offer dependent on ADR.

With CE you are obviously qualified for artics, but you are “super” qualified for C and will open more doors. Operators with a mix of C and CE will sometimes only employ CE drivers so as to ensure flexibility.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Pete, I have C and I am 55 just having my medical on Wednesday to put in the D2 and D4. If I take my C+E I will have a new licence so will this be beneficial to me or am I better off keeping to the C only in which I have no recent experience so agencies won’t touch me but at least I have 15 years experience of PSV/HGV in the 80’s/90’s?

Also if I do C+E will I have do do a load more theory tests and module 2/4 etc. or is it just a 4/5 day course with a test at the end?

4559danielk:
I have just passed my class C and looking at either booking on to class 1 or Adr to increase my opportunities of employment.

I know it’s hard at getting a job because of the lack of experience but which would you choose?

Hi Daniel,

Whilst I don’t disagree with Peter’s advice, I don’t think it’s quite as clear cut.

I think it’s going to depend on the availability of work (and the type of work) in your locality.
I also think it could/might depend on finances too.

If you’ve a reasonable prospect of ADR work (or other ‘normal’ Cat C work) AND your finances are low, then it might be an idea to get your ADR so that your finances recover before doing your Cat C+E.
It might even be that you just go for some Cat C work first.

I think that IF your finances are low, Peter might agree that an ADR course is probably cheaper than a C+E course.
A very rough guideline for an ADR course (without the tanker module) would be about £450ish, but maybe you might want/need DCPC too.

Yes, Dave’s right. In my haste, my reply was a little simplistic.

Back to bed!!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Daniel,

Personally, in your position (if the money isn’t too much of an issue as Dave pointed out), I would go for upgrading to C+E if possible. It will open more doors than Cat C with ADR. IMHO. :sunglasses:

All the best with what you choose to do.

LJ.

Thanks for the replays, as based in Bradford there is about a equal split between class 1 and class 2 adr jobs.

4559danielk:
Thanks for the replays, as based in Bradford there is about a equal split between class 1 and class 2 adr jobs.

Can you provide a link to these ? the only ADR jobs i see advertised are agencies speculatively touting around West Yorkshire offering shifts at Clarkes of Ossett and without 2 years experience and over the age of 25, you will not get a sniff of these, if they are indeed genuine which i very much doubt.

roadrunner:

4559danielk:

Can you provide a link to these ? the only ADR jobs i see advertised are agencies speculatively touting around West Yorkshire offering shifts at Clarkes of Ossett and without 2 years experience and over the age of 25, you will not get a sniff of these, if they are indeed genuine which i very much doubt.

Like with most jobs theses days its more about who you know within the industry.

roadrunner:

4559danielk:

jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob. … ID=2033783