C+E manual licence

Hi, everyone. Can anyone give me some advice on upgrading my licence please. I have had a licence for Class C automatic, since 1995. I am now thinking of upgrading to C+E manual. Will I have to pass the test for C with a manual gearbox, before taking the test for C+E manual. Thanks for your help.

Parsec:
Hi, everyone. Can anyone give me some advice on upgrading my licence please. I have had a licence for Class C automatic, since 1995. I am now thinking of upgrading to C+E manual. Will I have to pass the test for C with a manual gearbox, before taking the test for C+E manual. Thanks for your help.

How unusual for a driver to have passed C in an auto - how did that come about?

To answer your question - you can take CE in manual and on passing that will upgrade C to manual - AT THE MOMENT

In 2014 it seems a new rule is coming in where, if the driver has any manual pass then all others will get upgraded to manual so car manual and C auto will get C manual when the licence is sent to DVLA for any reason

Thanks for your answer, that’s a great help. I work for an emergency service and our vehicles are all automatics, so I passed the test in one. Thanks a lot.

Parsec:
Thanks for your answer, that’s a great help. I work for an emergency service and our vehicles are all automatics, so I passed the test in one. Thanks a lot.

You will have CE provisional on the paper part of your licence and all you need to get full CE is to pass the module 3 on road/reverse/coupling test

Do you have your DQC or how many of the 35 hours periodic dcpc have you done so far??

You may be able to get a day or two of periodic training from your upgrade. Check with the training provider to see if this is the case.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m doing just this. Got my C via Fire Service employment, auto only. I have my C+E test on Monday. It’s really not too dissimilar, or difficult. If you just wanted a manual C then, providing you have a manual car licence, you can simply send it in to DVLA next year and they will add manual entitlement to it.

cracker-bar:
I’m doing just this. Got my C via Fire Service employment, auto only. I have my C+E test on Monday. It’s really not too dissimilar, or difficult. If you just wanted a manual C then, providing you have a manual car licence, you can simply send it in to DVLA next year and they will add manual entitlement to it.

The last bit is still in the proposal stage so until it actually becomes law then I am still a little sceptical as to when it might start

The fire service is exempt DCPC so have you guys been preparing for that?

If doing C auto after 09/09/2009 and not having a pre 1997 car licence did you do the initial dcpc?

Rog, I passed my car test in 87, so no initial DCPC needed. The company I’m doing my C+E with do a week long course to cover all the modules for £290, so will probably do that sometime next year. With regard to the manual entitlement, my trainer seems to be of the opinion that it is definitely happening.

cracker-bar:
Rog, I passed my car test in 87, so no initial DCPC needed. The company I’m doing my C+E with do a week long course to cover all the modules for £290, so will probably do that sometime next year. With regard to the manual entitlement, my trainer seems to be of the opinion that it is definitely happening.

Your trainer is probably right , its just that I like to see it written in law or at least on a Govt site

290 not bad for 35 hours = £58 per 7 hours - many cheaper ones about but probably not that can be done in one week

I have not done any CPC training yet, or booked any lessons for C+E driving, I wanted to get some advice from those of you already working in the industry first. Like cracker-bar, I also passed the manual car test in 1987,I will retire from the fire service in a few years and I want to get qualified so I am ready to start job hunting when the time comes. I think I will book lessons soon after doing some research for a good driving school. This is a great forum and you are all very helpful with your quick replies.