c+e job offer

hi everyone, i passed my c+e in feb and havnt had a sniff of any work since until yest when i recieved a call from a job i applied for last week.The job is for a hgv 1 driver delivering plant equipment to customers on day shift.In the advertisment it never mentioned about money and it just said ‘competitive salary’ ■■? so who knows … The lady from the company which is Hewden in Luton sent me an email confirming the time and date of my interview and she also mentioned the money ,£7.96 an hour 39 h a week . I realise i have no exp but i cannot afford to live on that money if i was offered the job , so i feel let down by this i was earning more 12 yrs ago ffs dont know what to do■■?

What are your choices?A competative salary or the dole?
Times are hard and although it’s not a lot,there are a lot out there that would jump at the chance of a job.It’s unfortunate that some firms are taking the ■■■■ regards pay,but they are in the driving seat at the moment,if you’ll excuse the pun.
You could ask what is the chance of any overtime,but in your position,it’s the dignity of having a job and getting that all important experience!
Good luck.

Hi Ian , yes i understand i need the relevant exp i am dissapointed that the money is so low it doesnt give me much insentive to do the job for that money.By the time i have signed off and loose my benefits i will be worse off i will have no money to live on once i have payed my mortgage and council tax may aswell work in mcdonalds lol .

Dee34:
Hi Ian , yes i understand i need the relevant exp i am dissapointed that the money is so low it doesnt give me much insentive to do the job for that money.By the time i have signed off and loose my benefits i will be worse off i will have no money to live on once i have payed my mortgage and council tax may aswell work in mcdonalds lol .

I do not blame you for turning it down for that reason.

Seems pointless to take on a job and put your house etc at risk to do it.

Just one thing - If you took on the job, could you claim other benefits to make up the shortfall :question: - might be worth seeing an adviser on this :bulb:

Hi Rog, i havnt been offered the job yet i got an interview nxt wk with them , i wanted some feedback on the money side of things .I cant get my head around the fact i would be doing a fairly stressful job for that kind of money it scares me cos i cant justify going to work for that .My missus earns more and she struggles big time on her wages how can i work for less ? dont know what to do at the mo, im not sure if i would get any help i would have to look in to that one??

Dee34:
Hi Rog, i havnt been offered the job yet i got an interview nxt wk with them , i wanted some feedback on the money side of things .I cant get my head around the fact i would be doing a fairly stressful job for that kind of money it scares me cos i cant justify going to work for that .My missus earns more and she struggles big time on her wages how can i work for less ? dont know what to do at the mo, im not sure if i would get any help i would have to look in to that one??

As there are many more drivers than jobs, employers can offer what they want and get drivers.

My advice to you is to go to the CAB or similar and find out what you would gain or lose by taking on a job at a certain wage before committing yourself.

Ask if the money is negiotiable, or will go up after 3 months or whatever. Overtime? Hewden pays (IIRC) time and a half after 8 hours although they are on a bit of a clampdown on it.

Luton is access equipment so I don’t know too much about it, but I would imagine they have a pay structure for drivers across the company. I was offered a Class 2 job with them last year at more money £9 ish ph at a depot inside the M25. I’m better off working for someone else still and working there as a contractor from time to time when they are busy.

If you can make the money work it’s not a bad organisation, plenty of opportunity to move up and around.

Dee34:
hi everyone, i passed my c+e in feb and havnt had a sniff of any work since until yest when i recieved a call from a job i applied for last week.The job is for a hgv 1 driver delivering plant equipment to customers on day shift.In the advertisment it never mentioned about money and it just said ‘competitive salary’ ■■? so who knows … The lady from the company which is Hewden in Luton sent me an email confirming the time and date of my interview and she also mentioned the money ,£7.96 an hour 39 h a week . I realise i have no exp but i cannot afford to live on that money if i was offered the job , so i feel let down by this i was earning more 12 yrs ago ffs dont know what to do■■?

If i was in your shoes i would take it and just gain the experience, plus its better earning then being on the dole eh?.

and Good JOB in finding a job that quick in the HGV business

Dee34:

Go back to what you were doing then :unamused: Poach our jobs and still moans. :unamused:

go see ur adviser at th e job center mate and ask him/her how much working tax credits ull get and any other benifits ull get

although if irc it depends on how long uve been claiming jobseekers allowance or what ever it called nowadays

but there should be some help available

plus think about the experiance ull gain

any way best of luck hope u get the job

DAFMAD:

Dee34:

Go back to what you were doing then :unamused: Poach our jobs and still moans. :unamused:

not poaching anybodies job mate , if you wana work for peanuts your welcome to it thanks for your input

Would it possible to claim tax credits to top the income up,and still do the driving job.You can claim for workwear like boots,and clothing from the jobcentre office.

The first thing that you have got to do is forget all about wages at this moment in time,you haven’t even been for the interview yet.If you go to an interview with money preying on your mind the interviewer will pick up on this and you’re going to come across with a negative attitude and they will not be impressed.It is far better to be positive and actually be offered the job.That switches your bargaining power and once you know they want you then you are in a position of strength and can try to negotiate better terms and conditions.Getting any job is obviously a confidence boost so you should try your hardest to get it,you can always turn it down.
£8.00 per hour for Class 1 does not sound much but it is all relative,maybe you will only need to travel one mile to get to this job,are you better off if you take a £9.00 an hour job that is 30 miles away ?

You need to forget what you were earning last year,its now that counts.The market has changed and you have to change with it.As a man without experience they are doing you a favour ,though it might not look like it to yourself just now. They will have no difficulty in getting a driver,depending on your circumstances you might qualify for working families tax credits.

Peanuts? shut up, I would love to get that per our. yes it’s still low but you take what you get and look at it this way, if you don’t take it, it might be a year before you get another offer.

If you don’t want it give them my name and number, in this climate a newbie CANNOT afford to find objections to someone offering you an interview, because interviews lead to jobs, obviously. If it’ll cost too much to travel etc then think long and hard about turning down any offer of employment they may offer you, you can’t tell when the next break might come along for you

use a site called entitledto.com.
Put in all all the info it asks for and it will tell you how much, if any benefits you will be able to claim if you take this job.

cheers everyone for your comments and sugestions on this topic.I went for the interview and the job sounds good ,its the money i had the issue with.There is no overtime and the money stays at that rate, but after reading different peoples comments exp is everything and i appoligise for sounding ungrateful for getting a job interview i know people are struggling to even get to that stage.The trucks are 08 and 58 plate with auto boxes they look fantastic, just got to wait and see if i get the job , and yes if offered the opportunity i will defo take it, thanks again :smiley:

The trucks are 08 and 58 plate with auto boxes they look fantastic

If they are little Stralis units with silly 2 axle plant trailers I’m reliably informed that they are utter crap, every Hewden driver who has got one hates it. I know one driver who is covering 2 vehicles, 1 of these and a well shagged 53 plate 6 wheeler, he’d rather drive the rigid.

8wheels:

The trucks are 08 and 58 plate with auto boxes they look fantastic

If they are little Stralis units with silly 2 axle plant trailers I’m reliably informed that they are utter crap, every Hewden driver who has got one hates it. I know one driver who is covering 2 vehicles, 1 of these and a well shagged 53 plate 6 wheeler, he’d rather drive the rigid.

that doesnt sound gd mate , what else did they say about the firm?