C+E fail

So I took my C+E test yesterday, failed it on one thing, took a left turn too wide, so a car snook up inside me, and the instructor failed me on my positioning because the car was able to do this. The setup was a dual-carriage-way with a cycle lane on the near-side, then not much before the crossroads for where I wanted to turn left, another lane starts, well I stayed in the left hand lane of the dual-carriageway (middle lane at the lights) I was waiting behind two cars, so my trailer blocked off this dedicated left turn lane, but as soon as I set off a car comes into the lane and forces me to slow down, as too not hit it when I turn left, and to show the examiner I saw it, got back to the test station and accepted the fail, this is where my issue lies; The day before, I had done the same junction with my instructor who told me to take the junction wide as I did on my test, and not to go into the bike lane, obviously I was going to do as taught on my test. The examiner after the test said I should of covered the bike lane to stop any cars coming down the side of me, so too me it appears ive been taught wrong and this has caused me to fail? My question is, should I book my test with somebody else and maybe have a few lessons, because I’ve had a few doubts about this instructor but I felt like I could pass the test, but after this fail it’s left me feeling really angry on having failed on something I was taught how to do in a specific way. What’s everyone’s opinions on this and should i use somebody else? Thanks

Assuming you did it exactly as you had on training then you need to inform the instructor - the instructor should then approach the examiner and discuss how they want it done on test

I had a similar issue with a left turn in Gloucester on a test route and after a discussion with the examiners that turn was taken off the test routes for artics

I did it exactly as taught, because if i was taught it, then id expect it to be the right way, when i spoke with my instructor about it, they said, that if i wanted i could cover the bike lane, even though they’d told me not to the day before, once i said to my instructor that they’d specifically said not to cover the bike lane, they went all quiet and started talking about something else, i presume to try and take some of the blame away from themselves, i whole heartedly admit it was me that did it wrong, and it did seem a wide turn but i was taught to do it that way, so thats why i did, and failed.

IMO this is simple. When turning left one of the most dangerous situations is having a car (or anything else) on your left. You have placed too much emphasis on the white paint (bike lane) and this has allowed the dangerous situation to develop. This is so elementary I’m surprised this has come up on the forum.

Plain and simple, you were instructed incorrectly. Sorry.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I understand the whole turning left situation so dont think that i was trying to take as wide a turn a possible, i was doing as taught for the particular corner. In your opinion, with being taught wrong for this, and a few other issues i have with the instructor, is it a wise choice to change instructors to a much larger more reputable company over say a one man band instructor?

There are a number of larger and recommended trainers in your location - if you are unhappy - ring around and if possible visit them to see the set up and make a decision from there.

Good luck with it

John

There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with dealing with a “one man instructor”. But if you’re not happy you should change. I would also consider changing to a w+d where these issues are virtually non-existent.

Check for DSA Instructor registration. At least you will be assured of correct instruction.

As Chevmac has said, have a look around and make sure you’re comfortable with the set up.

There are massive differences between the worst trainers and the best trainers.

Don’t part with any money before visiting; the only exception to this should be booking on rock solid recommendation.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Check for DSA Instructor registration. At least you will be assured of correct instruction.

I can cite instances where that is not the case

I got failed for similar but the car was on my right, the examiner had told me to take a specific route at some lights so I positioned as per those instructions then just as I was coming to a halt the examiner changed his mind (we were approaching som e traffic lights) I was positioned so as to go left when he now wanted me to go right…it just so happened I was almost in the correct position to go either way but a car forced itself up my right side (even though I was indication right, and I was stationary) and I got failed for htat. I appealed but it came to nothing

You get brain surgeons who make mistakes. Fact is, DSA reg instructors have jumped the hoops and proved they are capable. There is also redress via DSA in cases like this. I look on it as quality assurance.

The training received by the OP is incorrect. If, by some remote chance, the trainer is DSA reg the DSA would like to know about it. If he isn’t DSA reg, then the OP and everyone else takes their chances.

Clearly, there are some non DSA reg instructors who do a perfectly good job. It’s just that they cant demonstrate it by qualification.

The error described is, IMO, a schoolboy error. Too much concentration on white paint to the cost of the whole situation and the safety of other road users.

I can cite instances where that is not the case

So cite them to DSA. They are, in this case, the regulating authority and they DO have teeth.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: