C + E chance!!!!

Hi all,

I joined this forum a few weeks ago and have been constantly reading new drivers stories etc etc. I have finally got my chance driving an artic.

I passed my test in January this year and have just reached my 25 birthday.

I have left my CV with lots of haulage companies in the east Yorkshire region and finally got the chance with an agency.

I am starting on Monday at 00:30 with DPD i have to basically shunt trailers around in the yard and back up to the bays to get unloaded.

If anybody has any thoughts as to what this will be like and if anyone has done it before I would be gratefull for any idea.

Also I was thinking of taking a head torch for the coupling/uncoupling, does this sound a good idea?

Yes, take a torch.
With shunting you’ll get loads of experience of reversing, which you’ll want.
Reverse on your good side so you can hang out of the window to see whats going on.
This is essential practice for the summer, when you can hang of the window to check out the women. :grimacing:
Best of luck with the job.

There is a thread somewhere on here about shunting

You can take a torch but most units for shunting have a god light on the back switch in cab

congrats on getting a start, good luck to you, :grimacing:
cheers weeman

Well done on the pass and the start!

Yea I use a head torch and although they’re a bit of a fashion disaster, they are the best thing to use for coupling up.

Cheers, much appreciate all the advice