C&E assessment advice

Hi
I’m sure this has been covered and asked countless times so I do apologise.

I’m currently applying for class 1 work (new pass welcome etc)
However I actually passed my test in wag n drag, I did have a lesson in an artic recently and was suprised how different it was.
I gradually got used to driving/corners etc however I really think my reversing will let me down in an assessment.

I know there is no simple answer but to just give it a go, but wondered if anyone had any advice or words of wisdom

Many thanks

PT14:
Hi

However I actually passed my test in wag n drag, I did have a lesson in an artic recently and was suprised how different it was.
I gradually got used to driving/corners etc however I really think my reversing will let me down in an assessment.

I know there is no simple answer but to just give it a go, but wondered if anyone had any advice or words of wisdom

Many thanks

When I passed my Class 2, I used to see artics going down tight roads and reversing around bends, and thought ’ that looks difficult '.

You won’t believe how quickly you get used to them. The key is not to get worried about the reverse, but to see it as an enjoyable challenge. Start slowly with smooth steering inputs and give yourself as much room as you THINK you need and then add 25%.

Before you know it, putting it in a bay gets pretty easy. The next challenge is Motorway Service Areas. Don’t pick a really tight spot, pick one that isn’t too easy, yet offers a challenge. You feel great once you can slot your wagon between others :wink:
(There is an overly irrational fear of smacking another cab at first :laughing: ) And the best bit of advice above all others; If you are not sure, get your fat arse out of the cab and go and have a look! :grimacing:

eagerbeaver:

PT14:
Hi

Many thanks

When I passed my Class 2, I used to see artics going down tight roads and reversing around bends, and thought ’ that looks difficult '.

You won’t believe how quickly you get used to them. The key is not to get worried about the reverse, but to see it as an enjoyable challenge. Start slowly with smooth steering inputs and give yourself as much room as you THINK you need and then add 25%.

Before you know it, putting it in a bay gets pretty easy. The next challenge is Motorway Service Areas. Don’t pick a really tight spot, pick one that isn’t too easy, yet offers a challenge. You feel great once you can slot your wagon between others :wink:
(There is an overly irrational fear of smacking another cab at first :laughing: ) And the best bit of advice above all others; If you are not sure, get your fat arse out of the cab and go and have a look! :grimacing:

Thanks

PT14:
Hi

Many thanks

Once you get some experience you should be fine, dont worry. But to pass an assessment you may need a bit more time in an artic. What feedback did you get after that one lesson? Would a few more hours be a good investment in getting through that assessment and into a first artic job? An assessor shouldnt be looking for a perfect drive from a newbie, but how good are you at the moment?

Franglais:

PT14:
Hi

Many thanks

Once you get some experience you should be fine, dont worry. But to pass an assessment you may need a bit more time in an artic. What feedback did you get after that one lesson? Would a few more hours be a good investment in getting through that assessment and into a first artic job? An assessor shouldnt be looking for a perfect drive from a newbie, but how good are you at the moment?

Yeh I think I’m gonna sell some stuff to pay for a big lesson, I feel confident driving, but I’d like some more reversing practice and bit of uncoupling wouldn’t hurt

I agree when I went from class two to class one I see it as a challenge. But then I had abit of an advantage over some my dad was a trucker and I spent many a summer holidays tramping over Europe and rope and sheeting. The trick when reverse is go slow remember when reversing left is right and right is left and just take your time. No doubt you will ■■■■ up at some point we all do but just take it in your stride and keep going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk