C+E 1st attempt FAIL

Did my C+E yesterday …… Fail ….9 minors, 1 serious.

‘Bout halfway through the test route, left turn approaching. I had a narrow left hand approach lane (Traffic island on the o/s) onto a wider undivided two-way road.

I sat as wide as I could in the approach, no problems so far, and put the o/s wheels of the tractor unit out, and running down the centre line of the two-way on the exit. The trailer was following on a ‘tight’ but reasonable line on the n/s kerb. Approaching from the opposite direction was a 7.5t builder’s lorry. He was far enough away to see the driving line I was taking, and I thought it would be a nice gesture if he moved to his left slightly to allow me to get round the corner on my line. (His side of the road was at least half the width of his lorry again, so a manoeuvre on his part would have been no bother), but No…. he stuck to his driving line… o/s wheels JUST on his side of the white line.

As he wasn’t for moving I had no option but to steer slightly to the left to avoid possible contact. As I did, I checked the mirror, in time to see the trailer wheels ‘just’ rise up onto the kerb. The examiner was looking as well. ”Aw ■■■■■■■■” thought I …. Game over…. Bummer!.. All I needed was another 20 feet on the line I was taking, and I’d have cleared the corner no problem.

Anyway, finished the test route, with no more major problems, but my heart wasn’t really in the drive from here on, so I think this is when I picked up most of the minors.

At the end of the test, the examiner (nice bloke) said that if the 7.5 had moved over even 2 feet, everything would have been fine, but unfortunately I had incurred the serious. He said that he noticed my head drop when I clipped the kerb and knew that I knew the ultimate test result, but he picked me up slightly when he said that overall, the drive was ‘reasonable’ and to do a re-test a.s.a.p.

The de-brief …

When I got to the test centre, my Instructor was talking to another Instructor from a different company, whose trainee was on test at the same time as me.

I showed my guy my result sheet, and explained what had happened. He ate the Jacobs Crackers off me, saying that I should have stuck to my line and made the 7.5 move. I said, in real life… maybe… but in this situation, I left it as long as I dared, and decided I had to steer away from him rather than getting a ‘dangerous’ for forcing him off line.

The other Instructor showed my guy his trainees result sheet. My guy told me, the other trainee had
25 minors, and 10 serious recorded (and no, the numbers are not typed wrongly). His Instructor smiled when he asked if he could get a re-test for the following Friday.

Anyway… made me feel slightly better about my misdemeanour.

Have checked, but don’t think I can get a re-test ‘till sometime-ish in June, so looks like another 2 days artic hire. A run-out on day 1 and test day 2. (Must raid the Piggy Bank to see how much is in
there !! This is starting to get expensive!!)

Aw well. At least I have taken a ‘test’ under test conditions, and have an idea what to expect the next time.

Here’s hoping ‘take 2’ goes a bit better than ‘take 1’

On a final point, does anyone know if test centres keep a copy of results (i.e. minors, serious, and dangerous logged) and if so, do the examiners refer to them before a re-test is carried out? If they do, then it’s maybe just as well I opted for the ‘serious’ rather than playing chicken with the 7.5t’er.

**NEXT TIME =** :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: **NEXT TIME =** :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: **NEXT TIME =** :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: **NEXT TIME =** :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: **NEXT TIME =** :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: **NEXT TIME =** :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As he wasn’t for moving I had no option but to steer slightly to the left to avoid possible contact.

What should you have done :question: :question: - what was your other option :question: :question:

PS - previous test results are not kept as each test is taken on it’s own merits

Rog said
What should you have done :question: :confused:

Sorry Rog… brain not totally in gear at the minute. but if I’ve read you right, I don’t think I could have done anything else other than I did.

My unit was already on the centre line, (both front and back wheels) I was just waiting for the trailer to come out of the corner. The 7.5t was far enough away when I started the turn but approaching fairly quick, there was ample time for him to adjust his position if he wanted.

The 7.5t didn’t move and if I had of stuck to my intended driving line, at the very least the mirrors of both would have met, possibly both vehicles

I’m not trying to blame my fail on anyone else. I made a decision and messed up… my fault…simple as that.

i hope it goes right for you next time, im sure it,ll be alright.

Tetley:
Rog said

Sorry Rog… brain not totally in gear at the minute. but if I’ve read you right, I don’t think I could have done anything else other than I did.

The 7.5t didn’t move and if I had of stuck to my intended driving line, at the very least the mirrors of both would have met, possibly both vehicles.

Then it would have been game over.

If you had applied the brakes and stopped… :question: :question:

ROG:

Tetley:
Rog said

The 7.5t didn’t move and if I had of stuck to my intended driving line, at the very least the mirrors of both would have met, possibly both vehicles.

Then it would have been game over.

If you had applied the brakes and stopped… :question: :question:

AH, hang on, I’ve now got the picture - I think - you came around the left bend/corner and mis-judged the intention of the oncomming 7.5 tonner and instead of having the alternative driving plan of ‘stopping before committing’, you kept to the only plan you had formed in your mind - - - did I get that right :question: :question:

Sorry Rog… just edited the last post…you might have to re-read it.

There would have been no point in stopping, because both o/s wheels of the unit where on the centre line of the two lane undivided, just waiting for the trailer to follow through. I was already ‘out’ on my exit line and the other guy was heading straight towards me.

I honestly don’t think I had any other option open to me other than do what I did.

When you first saw the 7.5 were you committed at THAT point :question:
If yes, then I fail to see what else you could have done but stop and let it hit you BUT if you saw the 7.5 and then committed and ASSUMED that it would yield then it was totally your fault for not thinking ’ WHAT IF’ IMO

Rog said
AH, hang on, I’ve now got the picture - I think - you came around the left bend/corner and mis-judged the intention of the oncomming 7.5 tonner and instead of having the alternative driving plan of ‘stopping before committing’, you kept to the only plan you had formed in your mind - - - did I get that right

I think so…

I was already committed to the line I was on and because the Tractor unit was already on the centre line waiting for the trailer to follow, I couldn’t have stopped, I had to keep going. I don’t think I misjudged the his intention, because at the end of the test, the examiner was happy that the 7.5t had plenty of time to move his position if he had wanted to, but realised I could only have done what I did do, without forcing the other driver to move, thus probally getting a dangerous.

As said I’m not trying to blame the other driver for my test ‘fail’ but in my defence, he was far enough away to see the line I was taking, and there would have been no doubt in his mind that there was a 45 foot curtain sider following behind me.

An approach time at this junction of a second or two either way, may have seen a different test result, but I’ll chalk this one down to experience, and get the re-test arranged.

ROG:
When you first saw the 7.5 were you committed at THAT point :question:
If yes, then I fail to see what else you could have done but stop and let it hit you BUT if you saw the 7.5 and then committed and ASSUMED that it would yield then it was totally your fault for not thinking ’ WHAT IF’ IMO

When I committed into the ‘two way’, both sides of it were totally clear. There were no ifs, buts, maybes, or what ifs required consideration. The 7.5t came bailing over the brow of a hill towards me travelling rather quick. By this time I was already exiting the corner on what was a clear road when the other guy came into view, and because of his position on the road I had to come off line slightly quicker than I would have liked, hence the trailer cut in on me.

I couldn’t have stopped

You should always be able to stop Tetley! I was always taught that if it’s clear when you start the manouvre, you’re in the right. If the vehicle approaching stops/gives way, you won’'t be marked down. (Rog?) I failed on my class 2 for hitting the kerb for doing almost the same thing. The only option is to stop & let them decide what to do. As you rightly said, if you keep going & force them over, it’s a serious. Of course with nerves & having to think about gears & all in a split second decision it’s an easy reaction to tug the wheel left.

Jab:

I couldn’t have stopped

You should always be able to stop Tetley! .

Jab… I fully understand and appreciate what you have said. I’m afraid I’m not overly brilliant getting words from brain to keyboard at times, so I’m sorry if I’m repeating the same thing again… The tractor unit had already exited the corner… and I had positioned both o/s wheels were on the centre line of the exit road, just waiting for the trailer wheels to pass the apex of the nearside kerb. Up to this point the road was clear, so yes I take it that I would have been in the right…

However, it was at this time that the other lorry appeared over the brow, and as you’ve said, it’s a split second decision. Trying to weigh up his speed, his position on the road, my position, where’s my trailer at… etc.

The only option is to stop & let them decide what to do.

If I had taken the decision to stop, this would have left me in a situation of… “I’m stopped on the white line, facing him, and have to hope that the other driver will take avoiding action”, because if he wasn’t going to, the two outfits would have met in some shape or form.

If I hadn’t made it out to the white line when he appeared, then yes… I could have stopped short, and let him come across the front of me, and then completed the turn.

As it was, it’s as well I did ‘tug on the wheel’ slightly more, because he didn’t alter his position, just kept on the same line, at what looked like the same speed, so because of me ‘avoiding’ him… I failed, and you’re most likely right, the butterflies were more in attendance than they were during my ‘C’ test.,

What I did cost me a pass, but better that than having PC Plod arrive to deal with a head on smash.

Jab:

I couldn’t have stopped

You should always be able to stop Tetley! I was always taught that if it’s clear when you start the manouvre, you’re in the right. If the vehicle approaching stops/gives way, you won’'t be marked down. (Rog?) I failed on my class 2 for hitting the kerb for doing almost the same thing. The only option is to stop & let them decide what to do. As you rightly said, if you keep going & force them over, it’s a serious. Of course with nerves & having to think about gears & all in a split second decision it’s an easy reaction to tug the wheel left.

You are correct Jab :smiley:
If you start to do something and at that point it is safe to do so, then, if another vehicle appears and now prevents you from safely completing what you intended, you STOP and let the other vehicle sort it out.
You do not get marked for that.

The tractor unit had already exited the corner… and I had positioned both o/s wheels were on the centre line of the exit road, just waiting for the trailer wheels to pass the apex of the nearside kerb

I undertstand what you 're saying. You did what you thought best at the time, which was potentially avoid an accident. The thing to take from this is to know for next time :slight_smile:
What would have happened if you’d needed the whole of the exit road to get the trailer around (and straight) ? Or if there had been railings or worst still pedestrians on the nearside? The emphasise is on the other driver to be able to stop (on his side of the road) in the distance he can see to be clear. Clearly the 7.5t couldn’t. You weren’t in the wrong mate.
(Ruddy 7.5t drivers eh!) :imp: