Buzzlift

I came across a trailer the other day with motor driven legs. One button to lower the legs and another to raise them. It seemed to be a retro-fit assembly which clamps onto the normal winding shaft and has a couple of locating pins welded to the trailer chassis, as well as an additional air tank to drive the unit.

The manuafacturer was Busby Holdings but I can’t find any reference to the company. Are these type of units still available? Who from? How much do they cost?

Any pointers please.

don’t know anything about them but google found

Busby Holdings Ltd Power Drive
bhlpowerdrive.co.uk
B.H.L. Power Drive Supplies Air Powered Articulated Lorry Landing Legs. One of a kind, Able to lift and lower a fully laden Trailer.

I came across a trailer the other day with motor driven legs.

U lucky devil! My arms ache!

A company I worked for pulled ferry trailers out of Hull, years ago. we had some dutch trailers with air operated landing legs :question:

You had 2 levers on each leg! and you had to lift them seperately. It was a very weird idea, and the legs normally jammed or froze up :confused:

The later trailers came with normal winding legs with folding feet for the trains

Thanks Denis, that’s the one.

And having now used one, it’s so simple, and quick!

Ideal for anyone with a small fleet of trailers, and it’s virtually a ‘one off’ fee because everything apart from the brackets holding the extra tank, can be unbolted and transferred to any replacement trailer.

No idea on price, but certainly something for people to consider.

These types of legs (air/elec operated) are about to become very popular becase there are new Manual Handling Regs due in soon (not sure of date) that say the physical effort of winding the legs up will be in excess of the limit due in (about 15kgs I believe) :open_mouth:

north surrey haulage:
These types of legs (air/elec operated) are about to become very popular becase there are new Manual Handling Regs due in soon (not sure of date) that say the physical effort of winding the legs up will be in excess of the limit due in (about 15kgs I believe) :open_mouth:

I hope you have specced a Stannah Stairlift on that new motor Sean, These pillocks will soon make it illegal to climb three steps into the cab.

It’s a mad world :open_mouth:

From the Busby website.

Taken from June 2001 Truck Magazine

Danger winding landing legs

Safety
According to Loughborough-based IMS the force normally required to operate manual landing legs could exceed Health & Safety Regulations.

IMS says that even high quality landing legs supporting a typical load of about 16 tonnes require a winding force of about 25kg to operate in low gear. With negligible load and in high gear the force is still put at about 5kg. But because of the awkward posture and positioning demaded by the winding action, IMS says the maximum allowable force on the winding handle to comply with the H&S Regulations would be only 4kg for a man, and 2.4kg for a woman.

IMS has recently launched the Buzzlift, an air-operated device that takes the sweat out of operating landing legs and which, the company says, can be fitted to most makes.

I think I might have a look at their share price. :laughing:

Did these guys not have a stand at last years truckfest, I’m sure I remember looking at something similar…

Why pay for something you can do yourself. And with whats on offer you need to do all your trailers. The easy way is to tap into your air tank - most have a threaded bung with an allen key half way down so to speak! - and fit a suzie connector. Then get a length of suzie hose, a windy gun, and an adaptor to fit the leg winder and bingo! every trailer you hitch up to has powered legs. I know it works we did this 20 odd year ago when we delivered newbies for York.
Oh bugger I should have kept quiet and gone for a patent!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink:
Sorry in advance for the naughty word!!!

Robert Pardoe:
Why pay for something you can do yourself. And with whats on offer you need to do all your trailers. The easy way is to tap into your air tank - most have a threaded bung with an allen key half way down so to speak! - and fit a suzie connector. Then get a length of suzie hose, a windy gun, and an adaptor to fit the leg winder and bingo! every trailer you hitch up to has powered legs. I know it works we did this 20 odd year ago when we delivered newbies for York.
Oh [zb] I should have kept quiet and gone for a patent!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink:
Sorry in advance for the naughty word!!!

yes but yor going back to the days when trailers didn’t have a winding handle, and every unit carried a handle and a bolt or inlet valve in the step :smiley: