Buying diesel in bulk [Merged]

Any small hauliers or owner drivers give me any advice on buying my own diesel tank and then buying my fuel to be delivered to my unit where i keep my truck■■? Is it any cheaper this way■■? Next part of the message is NOT for the genuine people on here…but anyone have any sarcastic comments please refrain from leaving them here!!! I’m just after some genuine help or advice, regards Jason.

I’ve merged your two topics with the same titles into one. dd.

In my opinion No, its not worth it. I find having a few fuel cards works for me, usually find using the cheapest one for a week, will go up the following week, but the others are keen for your business so usually come in keen with their prices. And it would be bad enough having the contents of your truck tank robbed, but the contents of your bulk tank would be reality bad.
Comparing prices with some one who buys in bulk the is not much difference some times my price is better some times not.
Convenience would be they main thing in bulks favour, but again for me I try and leave it low on fuel while parked up, and the fuel cards I use can all be used in local 24h garages with hgv pumps.

We always had a bulk tank it was handy for tanking up late at night or early morning and if price of fuel went up you could save some money but when buying in bulk it is the cost of filling up the tank so a lot of cash is being held in the tank and also its the security of the tank has to be taken into consideration .A fuel card is better for you a small haulier you pay for the fuel as you use it and only security to worry about is the tank on the lorry

I wouldnt fancy having 1000’s of ltrs sat in my yard all week and me being away for days or weeks at a time. If you were getting a tanker in there every week it might be worth it, but running one or two units id stick to fuel cards.

i reckon you can save maybe a penny a litre buying about 5000 litres at a time. How much will a bonded tank and pump cost? I keep about 6000 litres and its a pain ordering it at just the right time. I was given the tank but had to have a wall built for a bund. The pumps a cheap thing and it took a bit of mounting then had to get a plumber to cut the threads on the steel pipe. It is convenient though,the local filling station has a small forecourt so it can take an age to get a truck in.

Pursy

Also bear in mind there isn’t just the theft risk, if it leaked or even if there was just some sort of mishap refilling you could have a cleanup bill of ££££s.

Ok guys thank you for all your advice much appreciated, I’ll stay with my fuel cards then, just out of interest i have 3 cards and struggle to get any of them to give me monthly billing ( they all want fornightly) ive been established 11 years this march ive got a uk fuels card, an esso card and a texaco fast fuel card, besides these are there any that eould offer a one man band monthly payments■■?

I use bulk mainly and use about 23000 litres per month or one tanker load. I also have fuel cards for emergency use. The bulk price is between 4-5 ppl cheaper than the card price, I have monthly terms with certas for the cards.

JASON280:
Ok guys thank you for all your advice much appreciated, I’ll stay with my fuel cards then, just out of interest i have 3 cards and struggle to get any of them to give me monthly billing ( they all want fornightly) ive been established 11 years this march ive got a uk fuels card, an esso card and a texaco fast fuel card, besides these are there any that eould offer a one man band monthly payments■■?

If theres a morisons/tesco/sainsburys you can get into then fuelgenie offer monthly payments