Buying a Wrecker (HGV Recovery vehicle)

Morning all,

Asking for a quick confirmation / opinion(s). I’m buying a wrecker, fully loaded all singing and dancing, have contracts set up etc (but would like opinions on how to obtain more work to maximise the work load).

My question is… (Ill be calling VOSA to confirm) Do you need to put the wrecker on the operators licence if it is only used to move / recover disabled vehicles / machines?

Cheers guys

I had one up till 3 years ago and back then it was O licence exempt and not mot but a road worthiness cert.
Can’t guarantee its the same now but not heard any different.
What you getting?? Still got a thing about recovery trucks!

Hi bud,

She’s a 1989 Leyland DAF 95-400 Sleeper Cab 6x4

Tried to upload pics but it wont let me!

Just looking for work now, doing usual AA, RAC etc, local HGV garages, police, dealers and recovery companies, I’m open to opinions and advice!!

Plus the pricing, don’t want to be greedy so I’m not used often but also don’t want to cut my own throat! I’ll work 24/7 to make it work, it’s just a huge gamble as these beasts ain’t cheap!! As long as I cover my overheads, pay my wage and support my family, ill be a happy man!!

Cheers for the reply bud

I was charging out at £50ph back then but tbh it was only a toy for me and got my haulage co where I earn my money.

Guessing these days you’d want to be £60-£70 per hour? plus call out between 18.00-06.00.

Have you done the IVR course?

I had a 1989 Foden 8x4 with 450 Cat, it was awesome, got busy with my trucks so it just sat there gathering dust in the end so sold it to a bloke from Zimbabwe. Wish I still had the ol girl though.

Wish you the best of luck and hope you make a go of it!

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, been non stop!

Yeah IVR and PAS43 getting sorted along with two slide bed units with crew cab etc, wrecker and now decided secure yard for storage so I can get the AA, RAC and police contracts. Getting the website up and running so all going in the right direction!

Never really thought of how much revenue can be brought in just from the storage of vehicles!

Spoke to a few companies, its varied the way they set up their prices. I think ill look at the nearest competition and either work with them or under cut them until they agree to work with me! But obviously not under cut to much to put myself out of pocket, I’m thinking fair all round.

Cheers for the replies, hopefully in a matter of weeks ill be updating to say most of it is working out!!

Thanks again!!

Try speaking to the insurance companies and some of the bigger hauliers in your area. Some of the XPO sized guys arrange their own recovery or the insurance will drag it into the local depot but it needs to go to a different yard to be repaired so a second move is needed. You might not get much but any work is better than leaving the truck standing.

As for the slide and tilts, try local car dealers, you might be able to pick up some work on dealer transfers, collecting sold cars from other sites and bring them in. They are usually pre-booked, reasonably paying bits of work and if you find yourself too busy to go, you can always sub it out to a transit beavertail and take a little for yourself.