Buying a used vehicle

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a 2001 DAF LF 12t for a driving school and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type/manufacturer and could suggest any well known issues or things to check for when inspecting it? I will have it inspected independently to flag any issues before we start using it but would like to try and flag up any potential serious issues before purchasing due to the distance I am travelling to get it!

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Paul

edit: The vehicle has done less than 97,000 miles so hopefully I shouldn’t be dealing with anything too serious.

Don’t know about that particular model so will leave that for others to comment on. I will just say that when an elderly vehicle which has had an easy life and covered a low mileage suddenly starts having a difficult life and covering a high mileage, they don’t normally like it.

Interesting, will keep that in mind. Thanks

Probably has the zf 6 speed box …input shaft bearing fails ,30 in job with the box out ,maybe wise to do it before learner get to grips with it …I would say with a vehicle of that age your biggest gremlin will be wiring …on early LFs which you will have make sure the gearlinkage is well lubricated and delatches when the cab is tilted …on the 5 speed box it will rip the turret off and on all boxes it can bend the linkage ,you may not notice a bend ,but gear selection is impossible…Check brake calipers are free ,Make sure sump isn’t porous ,Also very very very important make sure the bobbins that secure the Engine EUC and cooling plate to the engine are not worn ,it can cause ECU failure ,and make sure if the boobins are loose they have eleongated the plate they go through as that will require renewing .Check where the rear shocks top mounting cross member isn’t cracked at its mounting screws ,again easy to replace…Mta cooling pipe on O/S where it goes round intercooler rots…They are not as bad as I have probably made it sound ,as all trucks that age will have problem

isn’t that a bit old , surely it won’t encourage trainees if the vehicle is past its sell by date ?

Denis F:
isn’t that a bit old , surely it won’t encourage trainees if the vehicle is past its sell by date ?

I thought that but refrained from saying it, but since you’ve mentioned it then I agree, a 14 year old truck won’t be much of an advert for a driving school.

While we’re having a go :grimacing:

With the loading requirements being 10tonnes (and if I read it right the minimum weight being 5 full ibc’s ) wouldn’t that make the 12 tonner struggle ? Maybe a 15 tonner would be easier to drive for the trainees ?

Flip side of the argument is a training co running new vehicles might put people off picking up the phone if they think it’ll mean expensive fees.

Think my main criteria for a training vehicle would be respectable looking, complies with DVSA requirements and smooth gearbox.

Harry Monk:

Denis F:

I thought that but refrained from saying it, but since you’ve mentioned it then I agree, a 14 year old truck won’t be much of an advert for a driving school.

Keep it clean and tidy with a set of private plates and few would know.