Buying a Tractor Unit at Auction

Well, anyone done it?

I’ve bought many cars at auction before and always seemed to get a reasonable deal, even after factoring in the cost of potential problems with the vehicle. Now I’m wondering about buying a truck that way, since that’s where most of the dealers get them from anyway before adding their mark up for costs of staff, premises etc.

Anyone care to suggest how much cheaper it tends to be? As an example, take an ex-fleet Daf XF 95 Spacecab and an FH12 Globetrotter on an 07 or 57 plate with 400,000km on the clock, how much would one of these go under the hammer for?

I know the general auction stuff, visit one before you go to bid, have someone else there to signal you if bids are being bounced off the wall, set your limit rigidly etc, but does anyone have any advice or comment?

Also, where are they held in the South-east?

I’ve bought a few trucks at auction over the years Harry but it was late 90’s last time & even then, I was buying ‘unfashionable’ Iveco Turbostar’s so I always stood a better chance than if I’d been buying Volvo’s, Scania’s etc.

Also, it only tends to be the higher mileage, rough & tired stock that ends up ‘under the hammer’ so unless it’s a closing down fleet sale I wouldn’t bother mate. Most dealers don’t buy a large prportion of their stock from Auctions, they tend to follow trends there (so can often be seen at them) but the vast majority buy their stock usually comes from contacts in the main dealers, leasing companies & direct from fleets.

Good luck bud, & if you do have a look at an auction, ask at the desk how much a private buyers premium is before ‘putting your hand up’!!! You might get an unpleasant shock.

Ross.

Thanks for the advice Ross, ideally I’d like to be going to an auction at a fleet that has gone bust, I know that sounds a bit mercenary but it isn’t. I do feel sorry for the drivers who have lost their jobs, have been there many times and got all of the T shirts!

But someone has to buy those trucks.

I wasn’t aware that there was a private buyer’s premium, so thanks again for the info. What kind of amount are we talking about for that?

Harry Monk:
Thanks for the advice Ross, ideally I’d like to be going to an auction at a fleet that has gone bust, I know that sounds a bit mercenary but it isn’t. I do feel sorry for the drivers who have lost their jobs, have been there many times and got all of the T shirts!

I wasn’t aware that there was a private buyer’s premium, so thanks again for the info. What kind of amount are we talking about for that?

If its a receivers sale, a fair old bit, possibly 15%

Harry Monk:

No probs bud, the main Auction houses BCA etc will have different ‘indemnity’ percentages for private & trade & the smaller auctioneers working for receivers will place a buyers premium on top as well. You can end up paying another 20% on top of your bid then VAT!! so ALWAYS check out the cost before bidding.

One other thing, I went to a ‘closure’ sale once & I recognised at least 3 of the north wests truck dealers there, most of the trucks made more than retail price as some dealers like to play “I’ve got bigger balls than you” & just keep bidding to prove to the other guys how strong they are, also, to stop their competitors buying good stock. It’s just a game to them, for you, it’s a livelyhood!!

Ross.

ye can get a bargain but may take ye a few visits to find and get ye price.

As always there is alway a buyers premium or % and its sliding scale… if ye buy from BCA, you have x amount of time to verify all is ok… so take a mechanic, if ye are not sure and win. he can check it out to verify… ye will get your money back if its a dud.

Also have a look at Malcolmharrison auctions not just BCA…I’d also check the CM to see who has lost their O licence or is about to go pop… ye may get a bargain!

Best of luck to ye.

routier:
if ye buy from BCA, you have x amount of time to verify all is ok… so take a mechanic, if ye are not sure and win. he can check it out to verify… ye will get your money back if its a dud.

Be very carefull, that’s ONLY if the truck is sold “with Warranty”, most of the stock at auction is ‘sold as seen’!!

Ross.

Thanks again Ross.

For you personally, where would you source a tractor unit from if you were looking for one?
Euro 4 6x2, 07 reg, that sort of thing?

bigr250:

routier:
if ye buy from BCA, you have x amount of time to verify all is ok… so take a mechanic, if ye are not sure and win. he can check it out to verify… ye will get your money back if its a dud.

Be very carefull, that’s ONLY if the truck is sold “with Warranty”, most of the stock at auction is ‘sold as seen’!!

Ross.

If its sold as seen then yep , ye right, there will be a notice on the window saying that is the case…sold as seen… best to check via phone… also you can also phone BCA up and ask them for the CAP guide… that will give you an indication of what BCA expect the truck to be sold for… I’ve done it so can verify

Harry Monk:
Thanks again Ross.

For you personally, where would you source a tractor unit from if you were looking for one?
Euro 4 6x2, 07 reg, that sort of thing?

H, You need to explore all avenues… really…its getting the best priced truck & deal where you can… auction, dealer, ebay…internet…

No hard and fast rule in my book… but correct me if I’m wrong

Harry Monk:

Malcolm Harrison do a lot of auctions such as the one you mention

www.malcolmharrison.co.uk

they are from Shropsire, but they hold the auctions at customers premises all over the country

Dont go to saturday auctions, full of people who told the wife there going to buy a bargain and feel they have failed if they come back empty handed…

shuttlespanker:
Malcolm Harrison do a lot of auctions such as the one you mention

malcolmharrison.co.uk

they are from Shropsire, but they hold the auctions at customers premises all over the country

They also have the occasional collective sale at their premises at Prees, Whitchurch, close to the Mid-Way Truckstop. They always seem to have a lot of 3/4 year old ex A.W.Jenkinson FH13 460/480’s with 300/400 kms. They seem to get up to around £15k before being withdrawn, presumably this is the reserve and the Auctioneer runs them up hoping someone will take them further. MH is also a Truck Dealer amongst his other enterprises with a site at Stone, Staffs.

richmond:
Dont go to saturday auctions, full of people who told the wife there going to buy a bargain and feel they have failed if they come back empty handed…

fools and their money are swiflty parted… I’ve been to a few auctions on a Sat and did ok… but once witnessed 2 mates spread in the crowd biddin against each other on a blown utility fridge and didnt realise! sold for 5K+ more than it should have…Comical

Having worked in the motor trade must pups are sold in the “BLOCK” Block it, is a garage term for something you dare not put on the forecourt, it has generally been through the workshop, it runs fine but they don’t want it on their books.

Ye can go and bid on any thing ye fancy, and cross their palm, ye can give them a couple of pound for luck, or ye can look into their eyes and take a bit o trust out of an honest man.

Unless it is a fleet or lease sale from someone like Malcolm Harrison, ye will regret ever dealing with BCA or the like, to be sure, ye will.

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction.

Top of the morning to ye!

Unless it is a fleet or lease sale from someone like Malcolm Harrison, ye will regret ever dealing with BCA or the like, to be sure, ye will.

Now then Boss…ye takin the mick with the YE and my post now? I write how I speak… but in fairness I respect what ye sayin…ye one of few who I do respect an contribution I do value…

… i bet ye think am thick as 2 short planks tho…

So you’re thinking of buying a lorry from an auction eh?

Oh dear :unamused:

What are your going to base the decision on? The colour? The tread depth? If it ‘sounds/looks’ right?

You’re about to invest a significant sum of money on a machine that will need to be reliable so you can get a return on that investment, the last place on earth you should be getting it from is an auction house FFS. You should be armed with a lot of information about the lorry you choose to buy before you even think about writing a cheque, kicking the tyres in a car park ain’t going to tell you anything :bulb:

Same as buying a £30k car from an auction is it ?
You can buy a lemon anywhere inc a dealer

newmercman:
So you’re thinking of buying a lorry from an auction eh?

Oh dear :unamused:

I am soliciting advice and opinions about buying at auction, yes. That’s what this forum is for. :wink:

routier:
Same as buying a £30k car from an auction is it ?
You can buy a lemon anywhere inc a dealer

But…You can perform due dilligence checks at a dealer, you can’t at auction :bulb:

With Harry looking at buying an LEZ compliant lorry there are a number of factors that should be checked before splashing out the cash, number one being all the emission control crap that’s been added to the engine, EGR has a lot of problems, they don’t shut you down like SCR problems, but they will murder mpg, SCR problems will derate the engine and they’re bloody complicated and complicated means expensive, a simple ECU download will advise of any previous issues with either system, if there’s been problems then there will always be problems, that’s the way those systems are :wink:

And Harry, my opinion is what you’re getting, you solicited it and I obliged :grimacing: