Butty vans

May have been covered before but did a search and couldnt find anything,
So good or bad?
I remember one in a layby on the A59 near Memwith hill near Harrogate in the late 90`s the guy used to bake his own pies and cakes in his butty van on the day, another on the A19 SB that did the square sausage, you had to get there in the morning or he didnt have any left by lunch time, used to be a time you could only get square sausage doing scotch.
The one on the A64 SB seems to have disappeared recently.

TBH I wouldnt use them, primarly because I self cater and can do without the additional expense. There are a few Id like to see shut down, or dragged into the 21st century regarding standards. The 1st of which is “margerets diner” on the A19 south bound between boro` and dishforth

Going off subject here
Iv seen a burger van style barbers in a lay by “Barton near luton way” before and often see the odd tipper or artic behide it :slight_smile:

marsden:
So good or bad?
I remember one in a layby on the A59 near Memwith hill near Harrogate in the late 90`s the guy used to bake his own pies and cakes in his butty van on the day, another on the A19 SB that did the square sausage, you had to get there in the morning or he didnt have any left by lunch time, used to be a time you could only get square sausage doing scotch.

The one Nr Menwith Hill was Mick & Peg’s … fantastic couple … think they lived at Otley … if i remember ( and it’s going back a few yrs ) … Mick got cancer and sadly died.
But … yes the grub was legendary around here … lots of folks still refer to that parking as " stoping @ Mick & Peg’s".

The Rustler:

marsden:
So good or bad?

The one Nr Menwith Hill was Mick & Peg’s … fantastic couple … think they lived at Otley … if i remember ( and it’s going back a few yrs ) … Mick got cancer and sadly died.
But … yes the grub was legendary around here … lots of folks still refer to that parking as " stoping @ Mick & Peg’s".

Mick and Pegs lives on but not as good as it was.It’s a nephew or something who runs it now ,looks as if he’s doin decent trade.Peg used to bake something she called sausage savoury,like a sausage pie with cheese and onion, may sound weird but was great! I haven’t stopped there for years but go past a lot.
PS dare I mention Greasy Normans at Brotherton ? !

Pop in and see John and Jacqui at Mill Lane Croydon you won’t get much better than that I can promise you, chicken and bacon wrap or homemade burger are my recommendations :smiley:

Wouldnt touch them wae a barge pole! Watch what they do with their hands really watch and have a think about it. Like touching raw meat then the very next second putting brown sauce on your roll. Look how many times they touch their face or hair without washing their hands. I thought they are supposed to do food hygiene courses to get a license?

Same with takeaways if i stand and wait on something and watch them it puts me right off, if i order it by phone i can just play dumb and pretend all is rosey but they have actually been feeling their baws whilst putting the spicy chicken on my pizza.

Then there is the ingredients that should be chilled but are just left out tell you what i see some sights a certain customer food is left out for hours without seeing a fridge. Hours!

Im a freaking bassa, i know :grimacing:

Some places can be like that Mr Merc, but some do take great pride in what they do, the only time I have been poorly by eating out was at a fish and chip shop, and they dont touch the food after it has been cooked cos its to bloody hot.
In my line of work now (fire safety) I get to see lots of establishments, kitchens etc, some truly disgusting, a chinese buffett establishment at a local eXtreme sports centre in Yorkshire was fine in the public areas but once inside in the storage areas, well I wont be eating there, but on the other hand the best curry I have ever had was from a run down bit of a restaurant in a one up one down sort of house really in Bradford. I guess its the luck of the draw really.

JFC999:

The Rustler:

marsden:
So good or bad?

Mick and Pegs lives on but not as good as it was.It’s a nephew or something who runs it now ,looks as if he’s doin decent trade.Peg used to bake something she called sausage savoury,like a sausage pie with cheese and onion, may sound weird but was great! I haven’t stopped there for years but go past a lot.
PS dare I mention Greasy Normans at Brotherton ? !

I remember Mick & Pegs, was very nice indeed, but afterwards it may have been a relative that took over with a different smaller van, wasnt Mick & Pegs a cream coloured trailer with, well Mick & pegs written on it, but the chap that carried on afterwards was in a smaller plain white trailer and had a standard domestic cooker inside that he did loads of home baking as it were, used to do a lovely bacon egg & cheese aswell

Yeah but go to most cafes, tearooms, pubs etc etc and its all the same with regards to hygiene. I saw it all when i was on 3663. very rarely did people wash their hands between taking orders, customers money, putting deliveries away and signing using my pen and then touching food they were preparing. Pubs are the worse for kitchen cleanliness trust me!

AaronR

Me and my brother have been thinking about getting a van or trailer and setting up near to Southampton docks. We are both trained chefs and would be very clean and hygienic trouble is its just having the money to get set up

Surely the job centre or a new business start up government funding will help with a grant if you have a business plan.

merc0447:
I thought they are supposed to do food hygiene courses to get a license?

We do a test too , and there are still idiots driving :open_mouth: