Buttons on a trailer

Hiy,

Can anybody please explain to me:

There are two buttons on a trailer. One button (red one) needs to be pulled out when you’ve parked the trailer or pushed in if you’ve coupled and wanna move off. Is it always like that? Pulled out for parking, pushed in for driving. Is this button always red?

What is the other button for? (I’ve come across black or blue ones)

Cheers,
Simon

more or less, the other is a shunt button as in it releases the trailer brakes without having to connect airlines.

ajdavis64:
more or less, the other is a shunt button as in it releases the trailer brakes without having to connect airlines.

providing that there is enough air in the trailers air tanks :wink:

It’s usually seized up anyway.

cheers guys

Simon_1982:
Hiy,

Can anybody please explain to me:

There are two buttons on a trailer. One button (red one) needs to be pulled out when you’ve parked the trailer or pushed in if you’ve coupled and wanna move off. Is it always like that? Pulled out for parking, pushed in for driving. Is this button always red?

What is the other button for? (I’ve come across black or blue ones)

Cheers,
Simon

god i havnt used a parking brake in about 2 months now lol

i just use the park button to ■■■■ the shunters off

red one is almost always red unless it’s relic that’s been botched with any old button. the black/blue one is to release the trl brakes when there isn’t a red line attached. With the latter the best advice is if you’re not sure what it does then leave well alone lol

One client I occasionally go to insists that drivers use the shunt button at one particular drop where there’s a really tight turn because they got fed up with drivers phoning in having snagged & snapped the airlines. perfectly safe to use as they pop back out as soon as you reconnect the airline. They are also one of many where it’s a disciplinary to not apply the park brake when dropping a trailer.

tallyman:
They are also one of many where it’s a disciplinary to not apply the park brake when dropping a trailer.

gogzy:

That is the problem when you arrive at one of these sites Gogzy and there are several :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:

tallyman:
They are also one of many where it’s a disciplinary to not apply the park brake when dropping a trailer.

gogzy:

That is the problem when you arrive at one of these sites Gogzy and there are several :open_mouth:

It can be a pain when hooking up but it’s the norm here not to use it

Most of the time the ‘red’ or ‘parking’ button is redundant now as trailer brakes lock on once the emergency sussie is disconnected. Very rarely is there any air left to use a shunt button if a trailer has been left standing, plus they also seize up because they are hardly ever used. Some ‘black’ buttons lift up an axle on the trailer or even are used to slide a trailer (skelly) used for containers to a smaller size. The most important thing though is this… There is a notice on a board where I go in which it outlines the dangers of not pulling the parking brake first before disconnecting the emergency sussie. A lot of trailers that are used in Europe do not lock the brakes on when the sussie is pulled (different couplings too for European trailers (Palm couplings which are basically rubbish !!)). Also if they are very closely coupled it can be awkward to get behind the truck and between the trailer to disconnect the sussies, some drivers pull the unit out like this one guy did, needless to say, he didn’t apply the parking brake, then pulled the air lines and the trailer rolled forward and jumped the fifth wheel killing him. Also depending on where you park, the trailer can also start to run backwards and you will have no way of stoopping it once you pull the line. So really, it’s always a safe to pull the brake first no matter what, shunters will just have to get used to it, but at least you wont kill anyone.

The black button might also be for dumping the air suspension where the trailer hasn’t got
one of those handles (forgotten what it’s called!) near the back for doing it.

Steve-o:
red one is almost always red

I love the helpful advice gained on this site lol

Mr B:

Steve-o:

Sarcasm does not become you, Mr B :slight_smile:

Kerbdog:

Lets disect this load of ■■■■■■■■ shall we?

Most of the time the ‘red’ or ‘parking’ button is redundant now as trailer brakes lock on once the emergency sussie is disconnected.Trucks are required to have a mechanical system to apply brakes in case of loss of air pressure, it is air pressure that releases spring brakes

Very rarely is there any air left to use a shunt button if a trailer has been left standing, plus they also seize up because they are hardly ever used.More the reason to use them and defect the air leak on your circle checks

Some ‘black’ buttons lift up an axle on the trailer or even are used to slide a trailer (skelly) used for containers to a smaller size.In case of confusion. RTFM

The most important thing though is this… There is a notice on a board where I go in which it outlines the dangers of not pulling the parking brake first before disconnecting the emergency sussie.

Pulling off the red line does not put on parking brakes, nor does coupling the emergency line release parking brakes.

A lot of trailers that are used in Europe do not lock the brakes on when the sussie is pulled

EC 71/321-98/12 The parking braking system shall enable the vehicle to be held stationary on an up or down gradient even
in the absence of the driver, the working parts being then held in the locked position by a purely mechanical device.

(different couplings too for European trailers (Palm couplings which are basically rubbish !!)).

Palm Couplings or Glad Hands are used in every other EU and American State. When fitted and maintained correctly they are better than C Type

Also if they are very closely coupled it can be awkward to get behind the truck and between the trailer to disconnect the sussies,

stop-gapcoupling.com/Docs/sp … edures.pdf

some drivers pull the unit out like this one guy did, needless to say, he didn’t apply the parking brake, then pulled the air lines and the trailer rolled forward and jumped the fifth wheel killing him.

Check Trailer height against pin, raising or lowering suspension or landing legs.

So really, it’s always a safe to pull the brake first no matter what,

hse.gov.uk/workplacetranspor … upling.htm

shunters will just have to get used to it, but at least you wont kill anyone.

But they might!

thanks a lot

I wondered this when i first started driving with our trailers at work, curious i just asked another driver and told me what it was (the shunt button) Although you’re lucky to have a shiny button for the trailer brake, we’ve got ratchet ones on the flat bed trailers. Don’t know if it’s because they are ex tilts, but 1999 made i’d have thought it would be air, unless someone got bored in the Rolfo factory one friday afternoon :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

Mr B:

Steve-o:

Sarcasm does not become you, Mr B :slight_smile:

made me laugh…nearly as good as “For those viewers watching in black and white, the pink ball is just behind the green”

If there’s a sign that says dont push this button

Push it :smiley: