Business start-up

hi all thanks for taking the time and any relevant advice (good/bad) taken

planning to start on my own in about 12 months
would you say that it would be a good idea to start a ltd co now and get fuel card account sorted so i can build up some banking history ■■
or would you advise waiting till i get my own vehicles
i currently put quite a bit of my own cash in fuel and reclaim at end of week so could clock up a few hundred pound of fuel in a week £600 in a week is not unknown.
could also get my brother to do the odd run for me in a hire van ■■

all constructive comments welcome
many thanks

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

sounds like a very good plan to use the fuel card to build up trust and get your credit limit built up. If your going to do that then i think a ltd company and vat registration are a must then if an opportunity should arise you can grab it.

Wouldn`t that also mean you get your fuel at a discount and able to claim the tax back? if so go for it and good luck.

mpj81:
Wouldn`t that also mean you get your fuel at a discount and able to claim the tax back? if so go for it and good luck.

You can only register for Vat if your annual turnover exceeds £35k (I think thats the minimum limit)

Would need a lot of fuel to justify it, along of course with other business expenditure income and costs.

You can only register for Vat if your annual turnover exceeds £35k (I think thats the minimum limit)

Didnt know that. Thanks for the education. :smiley:

There is no lower limit on VAT registration. You don’t have to register for Vat if your turnover is below £67,000. However you can register, regardless of turnover.

Have a good look on here:

Business Link

jc69817:
all constructive comments welcome
many thanks

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

in all honesty… no joke retrain and become a plasterer instead. how much is a bucket, trowel and bag of plaster compared to truck, tax, insurance and diesal. :laughing: im not joking all the money you saved for your venture put into retraining and become a plasterer instead.

work to suit yourself your at home every night and earn a boat load more than driving. dont forget all the cash in hand and also every job is at least £200 for a days graft.

mpj81:
Didnt know that. Thanks for the education. :smiley:

I had a hell of a job registering for Vat this time round compared to the first time, basically you’ve got to prove what your expected Minimum Turnover is, anything below £35k and you cannot take advantage of the reclaiming of VAT.

Its still not something somebody should let putting them off, the only advantage of being Vat Registered is the thought of getting one over on the tax man when in reality they still get it back

I.E you buy something say stock for £1k and reclaim the Vat £175.00 but when you sell it for £1500 you pay the Vat man the tax for £1500 :frowning:

Tax on Fuel can be reclaimed but you have to show where its used etc :frowning:

Plastering doesn`t earn that much these days. My brother is time served for at least 20 yrs and has been working as a general builder instaed

Derv-head is exactly right. You are only REQUIRED to register for VAT when your turnover exceeds 35 grand PA, but you can voluntarily register if your turnover exceeds 50p…(or any other tiny figure you care to mention) When I ran a computer company, we were VAT registered, and I don’t think our annual turnover exceeded 20k at any point.

Davey Driver:

mpj81:

Would need a lot of fuel to justify it, along of course with other business expenditure income and costs.

the amount is currently 67k but you can register voluntarily

You CAN register if you so wish,as Allikat has said.

I have registered,and it has paid me personally to do so.

Ken.

The best advice I can give you is get the info from the horses mouth, not the back end. Questions regarding VAT registration, in my humble opinion, should only be directed to a qualified, chartered accountant, or in fact Customs & Excise themselves. I have (very recently) gone through the process of VAT registration. Both my accountant and C&E’s Advice Line were instrumental in ironing out any problems.

With regards to fuel cards, I would talk to one of the many established providers.

For any other advice (such as the construction of business plans, etc.), Business Link offer free, impartial and often invaluable guidance.

^^^^ Agree with FOTO, plenty of information is available from Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs website.

FOTO:
The best advice I can give you is get the info from the horses mouth, not the back end. Questions regarding VAT registration, in my humble opinion, should only be directed to a qualified, chartered accountant, or in fact Customs & Excise themselves.

Cant agree more…
Me and the inland revenue have not always seen eye to eye in the past :wink: :wink:
but the advice/help they give now to self employed and freelancers is easy to understand, (even I got it :unamused: ) and they will give advice without wanting to know your inside leg measurement like they did in the past.

In short the Inland Revenue are making huge efforts to HELP people register, understand the rules and alowances and pay, rather than the old way of just screwing them over with mind numbing baffling forms