buses

my class 1 is not getting much work so iam looking for a perm job but so worried about my future
Applied for stagecoach manchester and been offered a trainee palce and i could do with some info
I need to earn at least 8.50 per hour durring the week, is it double time on sundays
Does any one have a spare job description and induction programme because i cant find one on the net
And what happens if i fail the pcv be it the theory or the driver element after the third attemp or how many they allow do i become unemployed.
s it worth the risk of loosing my income and perhaps my house regards

the current economical climate is on a downer people arnt buying,
things are not moving businesses are closing fuel is esclauting eveything is having aknock on effect but transport of people is on the increase so is this not a good time to bail out, we all have our own personal credit crunches and i think mine is snapped

Couldnt give you exact pay details but i doubt that you will get double bubble on a sunday with any bus company. I used to be with First and weekend work was often and long, and all you would have to show for it was about a £1 an hour more than the weekday rate which i would be very surprised to hear (other than London) would be over £8.50 an hour. Steer clear if i were you

Does any one have a spare job description and induction programme because i cant find one on the net

stagecoachbus.com/western/ca … ?jobid=126

Job Description :stuck_out_tongue: above and below…

Smile sweeltly at urine soaked grandmas and drunken chavs as you cart them around. Do not worry if they are sick on the bus, or that the kids carry guns and knives.

Have you thought about driving in Iraq, it is probably easier :wink:

I lasted a month on the buses, I was bored with it.

A bit off topic but,
Why the hell should a hgv class 1 or 2 with years of experience need to pass a pcv test? Surely a class 1 or 2 driver could drive a coach, Just as a coach driver could drive a class 2.

And what happens if i fail the pcv be it the theory or the driver element after the third attemp or how many they allow do i become unemployed[/quote

Most bus scompanies use their opwn in house examiners and from what I have seen of this in practice there is little or no hope of you failing.I have also sadly witnessed the stadard of some of the drives that have been ‘trained’ and passed in this way :open_mouth:
If they want ten drives on the road by next week thats what they get.
Dont worry about failing - you wont.

If i could make a suggestion - take a gallon of unleaded,pour it on your scrote and light it !!! This would be a far less painful experience than going on the buses as i found in my 6 VERY VERY long years on the buses.

As for double time :open_mouth: arriva drivers in the area i live in are paid 25p an hour more on saturdays and sundays which incidentally are the longest shifts you work all week.

Its your choice but unless you have the patience of a saint and dont mind getting one full weekend off a month(if you`re lucky), I would strongly advise against it

limeyphil:
A bit off topic but,
Why the hell should a hgv class 1 or 2 with years of experience need to pass a pcv test? Surely a class 1 or 2 driver could drive a coach, Just as a coach driver could drive a class 2.

LGV experience dont count for nothing - different tests and the same applies for people moving the other way too

A bit off topic but,

Driving stadard (if test taken at DSA test centre) is the same as LGV but with questions relating to passenger safety etc and also included in the driving test is topping at bus stops - not as simple as it sounds and lots get it wrong - and in the moving off procedure the same as with LGV but also using inside mirror to make sure all passengers are seated and so on.
So it the same - but different.
:LGV for carrying ‘stuff’ and PCV for carying people

Mothertrucker:

A bit off topic but,

Driving stadard (if test taken at DSA test centre) is the same as LGV but with questions relating to passenger safety etc and also included in the driving test is topping at bus stops - not as simple as it sounds and lots get it wrong - and in the moving off procedure the same as with LGV but also using inside mirror to make sure all passengers are seated and so on.
So it the same - but different.
:LGV for carrying ‘stuff’ and PCV for carying people

Could a competent class 2 driver pass a PCV test with no or little instruction?

the only difference between bus driving and truck driving is that with bus driving the crap loads and unload itself :astonished: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

mrpj:

Unlikely

gratefully recieved comments but the country is on its knees and it will take another five years of rebuilding how many job loses will we endeavour or low pay rises that will be asked of the trucking industry due to emploers having to cut their costs

A hgv licence may only be vocational and renewed for five years but a mortgage is for life.

out of interest if i were to go ahead with psv the hgv aspect will remain under grandfarthers rights as to the cpc wont it. A thought as the bus indusrty starts theirs on sept 10 2008

Got to agree with ROG here, a pal of mine with 40 years class 1 experience decided to do his PCV, borrowed a coach, failed miserably, just had one days instruction, to show him how to pass a test, and passed no problem at all.

I don’y know about bus companies, but for what coach companies pay I would have trouble getting motivated to get up in the morning. Round here it varies between, £6.50 and £7 depending on the company, thats the same rate, seven days a week, days and nights, bank holidays, same rate straight through. Oh and they only pay for what you do, so 5 hours work is 5 hours pay, do the school run, start at 7am. finish at 6pm, but you go home for 5 hours during the day, thats 6 hours pay, or £42!

No wonder they are always looking for tips.

mrpj wrote:

Unlikely

Highly unlikely - I have to agree.
Problem is that mosts people get into bad habits when driving - not necesserily dangerous but just not ‘to the book’ - and apart from those of us who work in Driver Training and are in Test Mode all the time I think most drivers would have their work cut out to re-pass the test. and of course with PCV its the extras as I mentioned earlier that you would have to swot up on.
although as I said earlier - with the in house training all sorts get through the test - which is a sore point with me so please dont set me off :imp: :imp:

tell me if the training is done in house then does that mean that the hazaed and teory test that i did at my local dvla for the hgv is also done in house or will that again be done at my local dvla. Personally i think its unfair that i have to retake it again

tell me if the training is done in house then does that mean that the hazaed and teory test that i did at my local dvla for the hgv is also done in house or will that again be done at my local dvla. Personally i think its unfair that i have to retake it again

I am not 100% sure about the answer to this one but I very much doubt that you would have to take them again.
I think it is only the practical that is done in house.

many moons ago when I lived in glasgow I did the bus driver thing with first group as I was short of cash, stuck it for 4 months and then chucked it go back driving 7.5 tonners as I was fed up,of getting the friday/ saturday /sunday night shifts on the fighting bus from glasgow city centre to paisley as it was known

the medical, theory test and the driving instruction and the test was all done i n house by their team of trained chimps, and training on elderly leyland atlantean buses that were nothing like the scania and volvo buses that were the in service ones

not a job I would consider doing now

most companys now only train you up in a auto bus… and you need another test with a stick to drive some coaches.
its all crap.
i have class 1, 2 and auto bus, but i cant drive a manual bus!! without another test…