Buses to trucks?

Hi all. It’s been a while but I’m hoping you can help. My cousin has had enough of bus driving and wants to change over to trucks. He has class 1 for coaches so I was wondering whether a class 2 for trucks would automatically entitle him to class 1.I seem to remember that it works one way but not the other. Can anyone enlighten me?

Not sure what you mean by class one for coaches.
The PCV entitlement which allows him do drive buses and coaches is a ‘D’ entitlement and to drive trucks he would need a ‘C’ category. In order for him to tow a trailer over 750kgs (what most people would refer to as an articulated truck) he needs his ‘E’ entitlement.
He may have a restricted E entitlement for a coach which limits the weight of the trailer he can pull, most likely a luggage trailer

He has D+E for driving bendy buses.

richvanho:

You don’t need D+E for driving bendy buses…

richvanho:

Because the engine drives the rear wheels on a bendy bus and it’s not actually a trailer you don’t need the +E for a bendy bus.

We’re being a little pedantic here aren’t we?

Hey, I’m not particularly qualified to answer, being new to everything but here’s the following advice from the government (Adding categories to your driving licence - GOV.UK)

As a guideline:

lorry entitlements can upgrade bus entitlements
bus entitlements can’t upgrade lorry entitlements
both lorry and bus entitlements can upgrade car entitlements

Thank you little car. As I read that it would suggest to me that he would not be able to upgrade from D+E to C+E.As for the “help” from the others I’m really not interested in how clever you are and you have provided a solid reminder of why I stopped using this site.

LittleCar:

Hey, I’m not particularly qualified to answer, being new to everything but here’s the following advice from the government (Adding categories to your driving licence - GOV.UK)

As a guideline:

How does a lorry entitlement upgrade bus entitlements? I have my C+E, and I was considering getting my D license.

Now I think about it, why would you need to take another test for a bus if you already have C? Buses are just a rigid vehicle that carries people. Surely all you should have to do is take the bus orientated CPC?

Endgame:

LittleCar:

As a guideline:

How does a lorry entitlement upgrade bus entitlements? I have my C+E, and I was considering getting my D license.

Now I think about it, why would you need to take another test for a bus if you already have C? Buses are just a rigid vehicle that carries people. Surely all you should have to do is take the bus orientated CPC?

at a guess it could be that you can’t restrain passengers with load tension bars, ratchet straps, a dolly knot or chains (but in private someone may) :grimacing:

Ha, yeah - I’ve heard from a few drivers, bus and truck, that buses/coaches are a pain in the backside solely because of passengers. The bus routes where I live though look fairly chilled. Newton Stewart to Ayr, running Stranraer, Ballantrae and Girvan. I could drive that route (literally) all day long!