Buses, coaches, & lorries

Duple 1967.

Click on pages twice.

Robthedog:
This old gal was chugging along today

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . BUSES,MOTORCOACHES & LORRIES .Page 55. Leyland Titan PD2,POU 494,King Alfred Motor Services,Winchester . Bradford Trolleybuses.
Monday,15th June,2020 . VALKYRIE

First of all,I listed several member’s names together in my Ripponden & District Motors Post,and I
intended to list Fodenway,but in the rush I somehow forgot :blush: :unamused: Sorry Fodenway :slight_smile:

King Alfred Motor Services was named after King Alfred:-

WIKIPEDIA:Alfred the Great (Old English: Ælfrēd, Ælfrǣd,
```c
** ‘Elf-counsel’ or ‘Wise-elf’; between 847 and 849 – 26 October 899) was King of Wessex from 871 to c.  886 and King of the Anglo-Saxons from c.  886 to 899. He was the youngest son of King Æthelwulf of Wessex. His father died when he was young and three of Alfred’s brothers, Æthelbald, Æthelberht and Æthelred, reigned in turn before him.UNQUOTE.

To read his full history:-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_the_Great

Robert Chisnell,Senior,first got in to the road passenger transport business in 1915 transporting troops,
and founded King Alfred Motor Services in the early 1920s,his first motorcoach excursion was on
Whitsuntide Monday,24th May,1920 and bus services began on Monday,9th October,1922.King Alfred
Motor Services remained a family business throughout its existence. It was taken over by Hants & Dorset
in 1973,this motorcoach and bus operator was part of the National Bus Company:-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hants_%26_Dorset

Friends Of King Alfred Buses preserve the history of King Alfred Motor Services and maintain a
collection of preserved King Alfred Motor Services motorcoaches and buses:-
kingalfredbuses.org.uk/history

Leyland Titan PD2,24,East Lancs L27,28R Double Decker Bus,CN.560374,BN.5297,POU 494,Hampshire,10-1956,preserved King Alfred,Winchester.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Robthedog.3#

Preserved by Friends Of King Alfred Buses :slight_smile:

Leyland Titan PD2,24,East Lancs L27,28R Double Decker Bus,CN.560374,BN.5297,POU 494,Hampshire,10-1956,preserved King Alfred,Winchester.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Johnzebedee-Flickr.6#

Book:The history of King Alfred Motor Services,QV below:-

King Alfred Motor Services.The Story Of A Winchester Family Business,J.D.F.Freeman,Robert E.Jowitt,R.J.Murphy,1984.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.CountryBus.Co.UK.3#

.King Alfred Motor Services.The Story Of A Winchester Family Business,J.D.F.Freeman,Robert E.Jowitt,R.J.Murphy,1984.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.CountryBus.Co.UK.3#.jpg

A symbolic image of King Alfred,as seen on the front cover of the above book,was painted on the sides
of most if not all of King Alfred motorcoaches and buses :slight_smile:

In July 1971 King Alfred Motor Services bought three new Scania Metro-Scania BR110MH/MCW B47D
Integral Single Decker Buses,AOU 108J.AOU 109J and AOU 110J,all of which eventually passed on to
Hants & Dorset Motor Services. In honour of these Scania Metro-Scania’s an ex-London Transport
Scania Metro-Scania BR111MH,PGC 204L,London Transport MS4,was re-painted in King Alfred Motor
Services livery and took part in the King Alfred Running Day of Sunday,25th April,1993,QV below:-

Scania Metro-Scania BR111MH/MCW B41D Integral SD Bus,CN.542162,PGC 204L,8-1973,ex-London Transport MS4 in King Alfred M.S.livery,25-4-1993.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Stephen Day-Flickr.4# Note
the King Alfred statue.

Bedford VAL14/*Plaxton Panorama C49F,6x2 Twin Steer Chinese Six,SD Motorcoach,CN.1819,BN.672478,CCG 704C,6-1965,King Alfred Motor Services.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Transport Illustrated,Blog.4#

*Re-bodied in March 2001 with Plaxton Panorama C52F motorcoach body of Bedford VAL,
Chassis No.7826570,LAL 547E,ex-Leon,Finningley,Doncaster.Number of original motorcoach body
was 652492.

One of two preserved AEC Renown’s that was operated by King Alfred Motor Services,Winchester:-
AEC Renown 3B2RA084/Park Royal H44/31F Double Decker Bus,CN.QV,BN.B50637,596 LCG,Southampton,6-1964,King Alfred Motor Services.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Transport Illustrated,Blog.3#

Albion Valkyrie CX9/Reading B36F Single Decker Bus,CN.58079D,HOR 491,Hampshire,1-1950,King Alfred Motor Services.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.KingAlfredBuses.Org.UK.3#

Bedford SB3,Petrol-Engined/Harrington Crusader C41F Motorcoach,CN.88245,BN.2504,326 CAA,Hampshire,8-1961,King Alfred Motor Services.A rare motorcoach model.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.FriendsOfKingAlfredBuses.4#

.Bedford SB3,Petrol-Engined,Harrington Crusader C41F Motorcoach,CN.88245,BN.2504,326 CAA,Hampshire,8-1961,King Alfred Motor Services.A rare motorcoach model.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.FriendsOfKingAlfredBuses.4#.jpg

One of two preserved AEC Renown’s that was operated by King Alfred Motor Services,Winchester:-
AEC Renown 3B2RA083/Park Royal H44/31F Double Decker Bus,CN.QV,BN.B50636,595 LCG,Southampton,6-1964,King Alfred Motor Services,and King Alfred statue.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Geoff Sheppard-Wiki.3#

I’ll finish this part of the post with a real gem of a preserved historic motor vehicle,which is one of the pioneer motorcoaches of Bus And Motorcoach Preservation:This beautiful Albion Victor/Abbott
Motorcoach,AAA 756 has been in preservation since 1959! :exclamation: :smiley: - the late 1950s and early 1960s were the pioneer days of bus,motorcoach,trolleybus and tram preservation - no wonder why I referred to this grand vintage Albion motorcoach as a pioneer! :exclamation: :slight_smile:
Its also the first ever King Alfred Motor Services public service vehicle that I encountered :slight_smile: QV below:-

Albion Victor PK114,Normal Control,Petrol-Engined,Abbott C20C Motorcoach,CN.24001C,AAA 756,6-1935,
King Alfred Motor Services.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Friends Of King Alfred Buses.4#

.Albion Victor PK114,Normal Control,Petrol-Engined,Abbott C20C Motorcoach,CN.24001C,AAA 756,6-1935,King Alfred Motor Services.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Friends Of King Alfred Buses.4#.jpg

Ramone » Monday,15th June, 2020 12:53 pm

QUOTE:-
Valkyrie , the Bradford trolleybus looked in a very “original” state and my guess when i saw it would be Keighley. UNQUOTE.

Hello Ramone :slight_smile: Here is a complete list of Bradford Trolleybuses that are in the stewardship of the
Sandtoft Transport Centre.This is copied from the Sandtoft Transport Centre Preserved Trolleybus List.

Bradford 562
Bradford 562 1929 KW 6052 English Electric B—F ■■■■ Kerr
Owned by the Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft.

Latterly used as a holiday caravan.

Restoration of the bodywork is in progress.

Can be viewed at the Museum.

Bradford 706
1945 DKY 706 Karrier W4 East Lancs. (1960) H37/29F Metropolitan Vickers
Privately owned.

Awaiting recommissioning.

Bradford 743 Bradford 743 1949 EKU 743 B.U.T. 9611T Roe H33/25R English Electric

Latterly used as a driver training trolleybus in Bradford.

Awaiting restoration and not on public display.
Bradford 746
Bradford 746 1949 EKU 746 B.U.T. 9611T Roe H31/25R English Electric Privately owned.

Bradford 758
Bradford 758 1951 FKU 758 B.U.T. 9611T Weymann H33/25R English Electric
Owned by the Bradford Trolleybus Association.

Currently undergoing extensive restoration at Keighley Bus Museum.

Bradford 792
Bradford 792 1944 GHN 574 Karrier W4 East Lancs. (1958) H39/31F English Electric/ Metropolitan Vickers
Privately owned.

Formerly a Darlington trolleybus with single deck body.

Bradford 834 Bradford 834 1949 LHN 784 B.U.T. 9611T East Lancs. (1962) H37/29F English Electric

New to Darlington, later sold to Doncaster and finally sold to Bradford, where it was re-bodied.

Bradford 845 Bradford 845 1950 JWW 375 Sunbeam F4 East Lancs. (1962) H37/29F British Thomson Houston

On permanent loan to Keighley Bus Museum.

Bradford 846 Bradford 846 1950 JWW 376 Sunbeam F4 East Lancs. (1963) H37/29F British Thomson Houston

New to Mexborough & Swinton as a single decker. Purchased by Bradford and rebodied.

Not normally on view.

Bradford 847 Bradford 847 1950 JWW 377 Sunbeam F4 East Lancs. (1963) H37/29F British Thomson Houston

On permanent loan to Keighley Bus Museum.

sandtoft.org.uk/vehicles

So it could be Trolleybus No.5 - that is Bradford No.758 that you saw being towed on the westbound side
of the M62 Motorway :slight_smile:
Have you any idea of the vehicle that was towing it and who operated this vehicle? :question:

There are small photographs of each trolleybus in the above Sandtoft list.

VALKYRIE**
```

Going by the colour it looked very similar to 846 in the photos. I didn"t notice what was pulling it i just saw the very faded Bradford crest on the o/s . I didn’t realise until it passed what it was it happened that quick. I lived not far from the Duckworth Lane bus garage in Bradford where the last trolleybus operated from. Were Bradford the last users over here?

ramone:
Going by the colour it looked very similar to 846 in the photos. I didn"t notice what was pulling it i just saw the very faded Bradford crest on the o/s . I didn’t realise until it passed what it was it happened that quick. I lived not far from the Duckworth Lane bus garage in Bradford where the last trolleybus operated from. Were Bradford the last users over here?

They could have been? I know that a few of Reading’s later front entry trolleys went to Teeside when our system closed in 1968 (I think), I have a pic of Reading’s final one at the bus stop in our front garden, and Teeside’s finished in 71 and Bradford a year later. My former neighbour in Reading is the Manager at Sandtoft museum.

Pete.

windrush:

ramone:

They could have been? I know that a few of Reading’s later front entry trolleys went to Teeside when our system closed in 1968 (I think), I have a pic of Reading’s final one at the bus stop in our front garden, and Teeside’s finished in 71 and Bradford a year later. My former neighbour in Reading is the Manager at Sandtoft museum.
Yep i think you could be right 1972 rings a bell 
 no pun intended

Pete.

ramone:

windrush:

ramone:

no pun intended

I bet they wish they had kept them and the system

ramone:
 no pun intended

I’m not sure about keeping them, they were a blooming nuisance at times! :laughing: Obviously they couldn’t be used on routes with no overheads if their route was closed for any reason such as roadworks etc, and when the poles dropped off which was a regular occourance on one island in Reading (Cemetery Junction which was the main A4 route through town pre M4) they caused long holdups especially if traffic had built up and the conductor couldn’t access the pole to refit the booms due to vehicles close behind! Plus there was a big power station based at the depot which wasn’t very eco friendly, they had their time though and were better than the previous trams.

Pete.

windrush:

ramone:
 no pun intended

I’m not sure about keeping them, they were a blooming nuisance at times! :laughing: Obviously they couldn’t be used on routes with no overheads if their route was closed for any reason such as roadworks etc, and when the poles dropped off which was a regular occourance on one island in Reading (Cemetery Junction which was the main A4 route through town pre M4) they caused long holdups especially if traffic had built up and the conductor couldn’t access the pole to refit the booms due to vehicles close behind! Plus there was a big power station based at the depot which wasn’t very eco friendly, they had their time though and were better than the previous trams.

Pete.

Leeds have been trying for a tram network but keep getting knocked back for funding , as for the poles falling off there was once an horrific accident when a pole came off at Four Lane Ends in Bradford killing a baby in a pram whose mother had just gone into a shop . I prefered the MK V Regents to the trolleys

Ramone:

Ramone:

Windrush:

Ramone:

no pun intended

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . BUSES,MOTORCOACHES & LORRIES . Page 55. Last British Trolleybus System:-
Bradford. Tuesday,16th June,2020. VALKYRIE

Hello Ramone and Windrush :slight_smile: Bradford had a Tram System before it had trolleybuses.Britain’s first Trolleybus System was the joint Bradford and Leeds system - Leeds started on Tuesday,20th June,1911 -and Bradford started on Saturday,24th June,1911. Leeds abandoned their trolleybus system in 1928,concentrating on buses and trams instead. Bradford expanded their trolleybus system before closing it on Sunday,26th March,1972.It was Great Britain’s last trolleybus system :imp: :frowning: :unamused:
I’ve always said that it was ironical that trolleybus and tram systems were closed in favour of diesel-engined omnibuses,and yet just around the corner from the closure of the Bradford trolleybus system,up leapt the World Oil Crisis in 1973! :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: Which is typical of the lack of credibility in human affairs and is also shortsightedness! :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: Poetic irony! :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused:
Ramone QUOTE:I bet they wish they had kept them and the system UNQUOTE Well said Ramone :slight_smile: You’ve hit the nail right on the head! :exclamation: :slight_smile:

Bradford Trolleybuses.Ticket for Final Trolleybus Operation In Great Britain.Sunday,26th March,1972.A Collectors Item! TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Bancrofts.3#

Bradford Trolleybuses.Sunbeam F4/East Lancs Double Decker Trolleybus,CN.50567,BN.5890,FWX 914,9-1948,Bradford 844,Bradford’s Last Trolleybus at Thornbury,Sunday,26-3-1972.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Telegraph&Argus.4#

.Bradford Trolleybuses.Sunbeam F4,East Lancs Double Decker Trolleybus,CN.50567,BN.5890,FWX 914,9-1948,Bradford 844,Bradford's Last Trolleybus at Thornbury,Sunday,26-3-1972.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Telegraph&Argus.4#.jpg

Exactly eleven years earlier,on Sunday,26th March,1961,Bradford 844,QV below,was made redundant as Mexborough & Swinton Brush B32C Single Decker Trolleybus,FWX 914,Fleet No.30 because this trolleybus system closed down on that day! :exclamation: It was then sold,along with some
other Mexborough & Swinton trolleybuses in chassis form,to Bradford.These trolleybuses were then re-bodied with new East Lancs bodies as double decker trolleybuses in 1962. :slight_smile:
Bradford Trolleybuses.Sunbeam F4,Metro-Vick 95 HP,/1962 East Lancs H37/29F Double Decker Trolleybus,CN.50567,BN.5890,FWX 914,9-1948,Bradford 844,Bradford’s Last Trolleybus.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Bancrofts.4#

.Bradford Trolleybuses.Sunbeam F4,Metro-Vick 95 HP,1962 East Lancs H37,29F Double Decker Trolleybus,CN.50567,BN.5890,FWX 914,9-1948,Bradford 844,Bradford's Last Trolleybus.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Bancrofts.4#.jpg

Bradford Trolleybuses.Line up of some of the preserved Bradford trolleybuses at Sandtoft Transport Centre,near Doncaster.TNUK,OTL-Buses,M & L,55.6-2020.Transport Illustrated,Blog.1#

YouTube Film-Videos on Bradford Trolleybuses:-

Bradford Trolleybuses 1970,1971,1972 including closure:-
youtube.com/watch?v=alfVccj_E1c

Bradford Trolleybuses 1971:-
youtube.com/watch?v=TAU4YrOGv4I

Bradford’s Last Trolleybus,1972. Bradford Archive Film-Video:-
youtube.com/watch?v=NaAdRNt40k4

The Trolleybus Lament Jim Jarratt 2011
wmv :-
youtube.com/watch?v=0iLzgs13UTs

Bring back trolleybuses ! :exclamation: :smiley:

VALKYRIE

Leyland bus STF 90 was a prototype which led to the production of the Atlantean.
Its engine and transmission was transversely fitted across the rear of the chassis
beneath the staircase. The bodywork is by Saunders-Roe, and is seen in 1954 as
a demonstrator with Southdown. Pictures by Michael Dryhurst.

STF 90 ....jpg

Lowland Motorways in Glasgow owned Leyland prototype STF 90 from 1957. Picture by Geoffrey Morant.

Leyland Atlantean demonstrator reg number 281 ATC was built in the Autumn of 1956 with low height
Bodywork by Metro-Cammell. It is seen here on demo with Ribble Motor Services at Skelhorne Street
near to Lime Street railway station in Liverpool on route L3 to Crosby.
Picture from " The Leyland Atlantean " by Gavin Booth.

281 ATC.jpg

Between STF 90 and 281 ATC, there was XTC 684, and which still survives in St Helens:

Leyland Motors - XTC684 - St Helens by East Midlands Rail & Bus, on Flickr

Ray Smyth:
Leyland Atlantean demonstrator reg number 281 ATC was built in the Autumn of 1956 with low height
Bodywork by Metro-Cammell. It is seen here on demo with Ribble Motor Services at Skelhorne Street
near to Lime Street railway station in Liverpool on route L3 to Crosby.
Picture from " The Leyland Atlantean " by Gavin Booth.

Although 281 ATC resembled the final Atlantean layout, with the set-back front axle, it was actually of unitary construction.

The uneven gaps between the windows reveal where the structure was stiffened:
281ATC A prototype for the Atlantean. by alan farrow, on Flickr

A second one was built but, apparently, never registered for the road, and both were scrapped.

The production Atlantean reverted to a conventional chassis frame

I heard recently that Jim Stones of Leigh ceased trading earlier this year, having provided
excellent services with very smart buses. Some, if not all of his buses are now with the
fleet of " Warringtons ", formerly Warrington Corporation Transport. I have seen lately
some of these buses in Warringtons livery operating routes 640 and 641, which used to be
operated by Diamond Transport. Not my pictures.

JS 1.png

A couple in their natural environment Valkyrie

FB_IMG_1592567102431.jpg

1949 Scania-Vabis 2B21 D 606 (9.0 D 131 hp) at The Hague.
Oily

Bus 1949 Scania-Vabis 2B21 D 606 (9.0 D 131 hp) at The Hague. Guillaume Vachey in PD 44887338201_a5a164bdb4_k.jpg

oiltreader:
1949 Scania-Vabis 2B21 D 606 (9.0 D 131 hp) at The Hague.
Oily

What a cracking looking bus!

Dennis Pax bus courtesy of Clive A Brown one of two new in 1968 to Llandudno Urban District Council.
Interesting article here dailypost.co.uk/news/local- 
 ry/7013054 running on the Great Orme Circular and also restoration.
Oily

Bus Dennis Clive A Brown cc by nc 2.0 3279719998_58d911a2a1_k.jpg

Tuesday June 30th 2020. A Warringtons bus on route 641, a circular journey via Standish, Shevington,
Gathurst, Orrell, and Pemberton, departing from Wigan Bus Station. Route 640 does the circular journey
the other way round. I believe that Warringtons is what used to be Warrington Corporation Transport.
A bus from the Diamond fleet is at the rear on route 132 to The Trafford Centre in Manchester.

Ray Smyth.

Warringtons 30.6.2020..jpg