Buses, coaches, & lorries

A Liverpool Corporation AEC Regent Mk V heading down Lord Street in Liverpool City Centre
in the early 1970s, on route 73A to Naylorsfield, a postwar housing estate, 5 miles to the South.
Buses like this one with a sliding cab door were good to drive in warm weather with the door open. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Ray Smyth.

Hello

This my 2nd attempt at uploading photographs, the 1st seems to have disappeared somewhere, I have a quantity of black and white photos from the 30’s 40’s and 50’s of wagons and a few buses, if this is successful I will upload the rest.

Regards

John

Hello Again

The attached photo’s where given to me as a child by my Uncle, who himself was into wagons, back then you could write to a manufacturer requesting photo’s and badges, which they would supply without cost, I still have the lapel badges.
Regards

John

Hello Again

A Carless fuel tanker and a Bartons Leyland loaded with barrels

Hello

A Lye Trading, Leyland eight wheeler and an Eddison plant Leyland

Regards

John

Hello

Cannot make out the owners names on the brick wagons, The Leyland Recovery wagon belongs to Isles Ltd from Pudsey in Leeds, this looks a fine piece of kit.

Regards

John

I’d have a 6p bet that yon brickworks was Elland Rd. Leeds, almost opposite Leeds Utd. football ground. The brickworks is long gone.

J.F.G:
Hello Again

The attached photo’s where given to me as a child by my Uncle, who himself was into wagons, back then you could write to a manufacturer requesting photo’s and badges, which they would supply without cost, I still have the lapel badges.
Regards

John

The Leyland Steer cattle wagon is S J Morris of Llansantffraid Powys ,was montgomeryshire ,thank you Trevor

I think the Leyland Comet with stacked bricks is lettered The Accrington Brick & Tile Co when this image is blown up. This this company had a few such Comets to transport their NORI bricks. (Iron) but the guy that built the lettering into brickworks chimney spelt the word the wrong way up.
Cheers Leyland 600

Scotland 1965

Click on pages twice to read.

Dean, I drove up the access road to the dam one evening in 1965 in my Mini without any restriction, no NO ENTRY signs or anything like that and took these photos. I visited the power station and did the official tour with a coach party when on tour to Oban with my Leyland Leopard about 1990.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Ribble Leyland PD2 passing the “Old Roan” Pub on the A59 at Aintree. The terminus for Route 311
for most of the day was the Ribble bus station at Skelhorne Street in Liverpool, the destination
blind on Ribble 1728 is showing “Black Bull”, which is a big pub about 1 mile ahead of the bus.
In Ribble language, this would have been a “Short working turnback”.
Ray Smyth.

Ray 1728 was allocated new to Carlisle depot, it was still there in 1966. I must have driven it a time or two back in 1964 when I worked at Carlisle.
I have a photo taken on Caldew Bridge but copyrighted.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Ray 1728 was allocated new to Carlisle depot, it was still there in 1966. I must have driven it a time or two back in 1964 when I worked at Carlisle.
I have a photo taken on Caldew Bridge but copyrighted.
Cheers, Leyland 600

The Jap car appears to have an L plate, so the bus was going to Liverpool 1972 at the earliest.

used to travel on that route as a child. “One and a half to the Black Bull,” my Mum used to say to the driver. Ta for reminding me.

Hi All
I would say a little later still as the allegro didnt come out until 73 and that one doesnt look brand new

Cheers

Rich

Trucky Mc truckface:

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:
Ribble Motor Services had an L Reg. Leyland Leopard with the same “M Type” Alexander bodywork,
whether it was built to “Night Running Spec”, I do not know.

It led quite a chequered career, ending up being retained (and scrapped) in lieu of default on payment for recovery

Ribble 0701 Frenchwood by maljoe, on Flickr

Rennies - RTF 561L by Andy Campbell, on Flickr

RTF561L by B58 Mate, on Flickr

She was based at Hulme hall road for along time. Her regular driver was Chalky White. He would fight anyone to get her on his duties. later he bought her and his company was called Sports Tours. Not a big success from what i gather.Prob why she was scrapped. I believe that Chalky is still around today. Can anyone confirm ? .

Hello Trucky, could your Chalky be no other than John Whitehead. :unamused:
If it is the same bloke he was an Oldham Athletic fanatic who ran Sports Tours to take the fans to away matches. He organised one away trip on a train and blagged his way onto the footplate of the train so you won’t be surprised to hear that the train crashed. I believe that the train ran into the buffers, I can’t remember where it happened but I am sure that it was just a coincidence that John had been talking to the driver.

If it is the same bloke then click on the link and look away now. :unamused:

youtube.com/watch?v=y2HNDx70hJI

Leyland600:
Dean, I drove up the access road to the dam one evening in 1965 in my Mini without any restriction, no NO ENTRY signs or anything like that and took these photos. I visited the power station and did the official tour with a coach party when on tour to Oban with my Leyland Leopard about 1990.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Great pics “Leyland 600” small world ! :smiley: Nice mini chap :laughing:

A piece from 1966.

Click on page twice.

East Kent Road Car Co Leyland Atlantean.

East Kent Leyland Atlantean.jpg

J.F.G:
Hello

Cannot make out the owners names on the brick wagons, The Leyland Recovery wagon belongs to Isles Ltd from Pudsey in Leeds, this looks a fine piece of kit.

Regards

John

Shouldn’t these excellent photo should be Past and Present

Tony