Buses, coaches, & lorries

North Western Leyland Tiger Cub at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland.
Peter Kenrick tells me that there will be a “Leyland Gathering” on July 7th 2019. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Liverpool Corporation AEC Mk III Regent on route 24 at Stanley Road, Bootle, Liverpool,
on its way to Old Haymarket terminus in the city centre, which is opposite the entrance
to the first Mersey Tunnel.

It looks like a MKV from the front

ramone:

Ray Smyth:
Liverpool Corporation AEC Mk III Regent on route 24 at Stanley Road, Bootle, Liverpool,
on its way to Old Haymarket terminus in the city centre, which is opposite the entrance
to the first Mersey Tunnel.

It looks like a MKV from the front

Hi Ramone, Yes, it is an AEC MKV, must be the festive alcohol. I could have cheated and said it
was “Spot the deliberate mistake”, I will correct it right away. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Regards, Ray.

This bus is the first Leyland Atlantean for Wigan Corporation Transport, seen at the
Commercial Motor Show at Earls Court, London in 1968. The picture quality is not
very good from my Kodak Brownie 127, trying to illuminate an enormous exhibition
hall with a tiny flash bulb. The bus, fleet No. 166, Reg. No. FJP 566G is seen arriving
in Wigan town centre from Kitt Green on route 21C when still fairly new.
Click on first picture for a better image, it has been improved by Oily, Thank you.

Ray Smyth.

Apologies in advance for the quality of the pictures that were taken with my Kodak Brownie
127 camera at the Commercial Motor Show in Earls Court, London, in 1968.
Ribble Leyland Leopard 946 HRN 946G was one of many coaches with the then new
Plaxton Panorama Elite bodywork. Standerwick 50S, Reg. No. F CK 450G was the first of many
Bristol VRL double deck coaches with Eastern Coachworks bodywork for the services
from and to the North West of England to London. They were a rather unreliable machine,
and they were withdrawn and sold after about 5 years. The last picture is a coach
for Eastern Scottish, a Bristol RE with bodywork by Alexander of Falkirk.

Ray Smyth.

Standerwick Bristol VRL fleet No. 50.S at the same location as in the above pictures.
Commercial Motor Show at Earls Court, London in 1968. A better picture than mine.
I have not printed the Reg. No. because either my Laptop or Trucknets system thinks
that the letters are a “Naughty Word”, :wink:
Ray Smyth.

Liverpool Corporation A40 was one of 100 AEC Mk III new buses around 1953. With the exception of
A39 and A40, they had bodywork by Crossley of Manchester. However, A39 and A40 were bodied
by Saunders Roe at Beaumaris in Anglesey. A40 arrived and went into service at Prince Alfred Rd
depot with the aluminium bodywork unpainted. It soon became known locally as “The Silver Ghost”.
In its later life, A40 received green paint on the centre band between the lower and upper decks.
During the next few years, several more new buses were supplied unpainted, including Leyland PD2
No. L295 from about 1955. Unpainted A40 is still here today, with Merseyside Transport Trust.
Ray Smyth.

L295 VKB 271.jpg

Hi Ray, I needed a better look at the Eastern Scottish so tried a tweak or two.
Oily

From fellow flickrites.
Oily

Bus Martin49 cc by 2.0 Jersey 10361594445_d70a5cb06f_M49 k.jpg

Bus Martin49 cc bt 2.0 14639508414_4ba0cb548c_M49 k.jpg

oiltreader:
Hi Ray, I needed a better look at the Eastern Scottish so tried a tweak or two.
Oily

Hi Eddie, Thank you for tweaking my pictures, your digital/techno skills are much better than mine.
With regard to the Bristol RE with Alexander bodywork for Eastern Scottish, I seem to remember that
it was built with special bodywork to suit the night time Edinburgh to London and return journeys,
the smaller side windows were double glazed and shaded in order to reduce light and noise, so that
it could be easier for the passengers to get a few hours sleep on the 400 mile journey.

Ribble Motor Services had an L Reg. Leyland Leopard with the same “M Type” Alexander bodywork,
whether it was built to “Night Running Spec”, I do not know. Meanwhile, I am so grateful for your
pictures and info on this thread, and all of the other threads to which you contribute.

Best wishes and Happy Hogmanay to you and Mrs McDonald. Ray.

Ray Smyth:
Ribble Motor Services had an L Reg. Leyland Leopard with the same “M Type” Alexander bodywork,
whether it was built to “Night Running Spec”, I do not know.

It led quite a chequered career, ending up being retained (and scrapped) in lieu of default on payment for recovery

Ribble 0701 Frenchwood by maljoe, on Flickr

Rennies - RTF 561L by Andy Campbell, on Flickr

RTF561L by B58 Mate, on Flickr

Ray Smyth:
Standerwick Bristol VRL fleet No. 50.S at the same location as in the above pictures.
Commercial Motor Show at Earls Court, London in 1968. A better picture than mine.
I have not printed the Reg. No. because either my Laptop or Trucknets system thinks
that the letters are a “Naughty Word”, :wink:
Ray Smyth.

Standerwick 050 London Victoria by maljoe, on Flickr

Aston ■■■450G 800427 Kempsey [jg] by maljoe, on Flickr

Here’s an oldie, Buzzer

Leyland PD2 with Massey bodywork was new to Birkenhead Corporation in 1966.
It is seen here in its later days, the Birkenhead fleet having become part of the
Merseyside fleet, along with the buses of Southport and St Helens Corporations.
L427 looks rather dour with its black painted radiator, and lack of cream paint
around the windows that most other Merseyside buses had in the 1960s & 1970s
as it passes Linacre Lane gasworks in Bootle, Liverpool. It would have looked a
lot better if it was still in its original Birkenhead Corporation livery, as seen on
preserved No, 10, seen here at Leyland. Ray Smyth.

Leyland PD2 L427.jpg

Ray, yes these ex Birkenhead PD2s with their Massey bodies looked great in their original livery but when transferred over to Liverpool I think the painters were slap happy a bunch of kids could have done better, why on earth paint that aluminium cast radiator shell black ? Yuck.
Happey New Year, Leyland 600.

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:
whether it was built to “Night Running Spec”, I do not know.

It led quite a chequered career, ending up being retained (and scrapped) in lieu of default on payment for recovery

Ribble 0701 Frenchwood by maljoe, on Flickr

Rennies - RTF 561L by Andy Campbell, on Flickr

RTF561L by B58 Mate, on Flickr

She was based at Hulme hall road for along time. Her regular driver was Chalky White. He would fight anyone to get her on his duties. later he bought her and his company was called Sports Tours. Not a big success from what i gather.Prob why she was scrapped. I believe that Chalky is still around today. Can anyone confirm ? .

This Picture of Ribble DP 898, Reg No. ECK 898E is one of my favourite pictures.
During my time with Ribble in the late 1960s, I drove 899 and 900 which were
based at the Wigan depot of Ribble. The picture is from Alan Snatt Collection.

ECK 898E 898.jpg

The Latest Addition to Lothian Buses Fleet.

Volvo Chassis Built by Alexanders 100 Seater Tri Axle

Click To View Video:
youtu.be/lGewNffXGc8

The floating roadway at Liverpool Pier Head enabled the Mersey ferries and the Isle Of Man boats
to berth alongside at the Princes Landing Stage at any state of the tide. The tidal variation could
be as much as 20 feet. The Liverpool Corporation buses seen here at the Pier Head were mainly
Leyland PD2s. It must be about 1962, the back end of a Leyland Atlantean can just be seen on the
right of the picture, and a Ribble Leyland is at the rear, setting off on one of the Northern routes.
Ray Smyth.

Floating Road.jpg

These courtesy of fellow flickrite Phil Parker.
Oily

Bus Phil Parker cc by 2.0 6973571129_9c49f8b67e pp o.jpg