Buses, coaches, & lorries

Yes Oily The Shalder Caetano Bedford appears to be parked alongside Alastair Rosies Ford Plaxton Supreme in your initial photo and the Shalder Bedford GBS 84N was the coach allocated to my group on our first extended tour to Orkney in 1996 when I left my own coach at John o Groats, crossed the Firth on John o Groats Ferries “Pentland Venturer” (passenger only) to Burwick South Ronaldsay where my group boarded this coach driven by a very competant Ocadian lady. One of my group who was also a lorry driver for a ■■■■■■■■ Feed Mill remarked "Hell I did’nt think a Bedford could travel so fast as we roared along the straight undulating road up to St Margarets Hope our lady driver waving her hands about pointing out all the various points of interest and giving her very well informed commentary in a good strong Orcadian dialect which was easily understood by us ■■■■■■■■■ all being of Viking extraction. The coach performed well until we reached Skara Brae the Neolithic 3180BC village in the north of the West Mainland. I happened to glance under the coach and noticed water dripping rapidly from the water pump, consequently another replacement coach was sent from the Stromness depot to continue the tour.
All the later tours I organised were operated with my Plaxton Paramount bodied Leopard. GBS 84N soldiered on for a few more years at the hands of the same driver although she could handle almost all the other coaches available at that time.

This is the A59 at Warbreck Moor in Liverpool. One mile ahead of the blue coach is Aintree Racecourse.
The two Liverpool Corporation Leyland Atlanteans and the blue coach have bodywork by Alexander of Falkirk.
Ray Smyth.

Black Bull Aintree.png

One of several Leyland Royal Tiger buses for the journey to and from Liverpool Airport.
They operated from the main railway stations in the city centre, and also from Princes
Landing Stage at the pier Head, to cater for passengers arriving from and departing to
Montreal with Canadian Pacific, New York with Cunard, and Douglas on the Manx Ferries
of the Isle Of Man Steam Packet Company. These buses had a large luggage compartment
at the rear. This bus XL172 is seen in Skelhorne Street, beside Lime Street Station.
Ray Smyth.

XL172 Airport.jpg

I don`t know too much about buses but how did the AH760 Reliances compare with the opposition and why did they downrate them to 165 bhp ?

The AH 760 was downrated for the Reliance because the input torque rating of the single reduction rear axle was insufficient.

William Brown Street in Liverpool in the early 1950s. The Liverpool Corporation tram on route 13
is on its way to the Pier Head, having started its journey at Lower Lane, not far from “Arthurs Café”
on the East Lancashire Road, A580. The Daimler bus on route 57 is also heading for Pier Head,
its journey started at Netherton, near where nowadays, the M57 & M58 commence. The Leyland
Ribble bus in the distance could also be on route 57, a joint service with Liverpool Corporation.
The Daimler bus is one of 50 from 1949/1950 with bodywork by Northern Counties, Wigan.

Ray Smyth.

cav551:
The AH 760 was downrated for the Reliance because the input torque rating of the single reduction rear axle was insufficient.

Could they not uprate the axle , and how did it compare with the competion , probably the Leopard?

All the “big” lorry engines used in PSVs of that era were down rated. It was believed at the time that the extra power wasn’t necessary. Depending on the body a Reliance at 165 bhp was running at 10 or 11 bhp per ton, easily comparable to a fleet spec 44 tonner today, so they were plenty powerful enough.

ramone:

cav551:

Could they not uprate the axle , and how did it compare with the competion , probably the Leopard?

AFAIK British Leyland didn’t have an in-house single reduction axle for either a fully rated AEC 760 nor a similar Leyland 680. All the heavyweight trucks used a secondary reduction or a proprietary unit. The Leopard and the 760 Reliance would be much of a muchness, athough I would hazard a guess that there were considerably more Coach Reliances than Bus Reliances with the big engine, while Leopards would probably be more or less equally split.

cav551:

ramone:

cav551:

AFAIK British Leyland didn’t have an in-house single reduction axle for either a fully rated AEC 760 nor a similar Leyland 680. All the heavyweight trucks used a secondary reduction or a proprietary unit. The Leopard and the 760 Reliance would be much of a muchness, athough I would hazard a guess that there were considerably more Coach Reliances than Bus Reliances with the big engine, while Leopards would probably be more or less equally split.

And the Reliance model series offered various engine options with the AH505. I don’t think the Leopard offered anything other than the O.680, but I could be wrong. As CAV551 says the Leopard and Reliance were very similar in comfort and performance. On the subject of the back axle AEC did have a double reduction axle for higher weights (don’t know its torque rating) used in the single drive Marshal six-wheeler, and Mercury tractor unit, the latter had a maximum gtw of 26 tons.

Froggy55:

rastone:
Ford Trader with Duple Marriner body 1964

Interesting! I had neverd heard that coaches had been built on Ford Traders chassis.

Quite a few in fact.Here is one from Tim Jeffcoat’s. collection and I’m sure he will confirm this Ask him.The one in the picture did Stevo’s well

Tony

H07-T01995.jpg

Another Thames Trader coach, seen at Toddington on the Gloucester and Warwick Railway. July 1985

A variety with thanks to Dave Fawcett for permission to use.
Oily

Bus Dave Fawcett JOO 987 (1962) Ford 570E . Plaxton Embassy C41F . Ex-Verrall & Freeman . Loughton . 45521897241_f404f832dc_df o.jpg

I am sure this is the bus station that was at the bottom of High St West in Gateshead. The entrance onto the High Level Bridge would be about 200/ 300 yards to the right.

Tyneside

Rastone:

Froggy55:

Rastone:

Interesting! I had neverd heard that coaches had been built on Ford Traders chassis.

Quite a few in fact.Here is one from Tim Jeffcoat’s. collection and I’m sure he will confirm this Ask him.The one in the picture did Stevo’s well

Tony

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Buses,Motorcoaches & Lorries . Ford Thames Trader Motorcoach . VALKYRIE . Wednesday,12th December,2018 .

Ford Thames Trader 570E/Duple Yeoman C41F Motorcoach,Chassis No.510E38981,Body No.1126/147 ,4799 RF,Stafford CC,June 1960,Stevensons,No.12.New to April 1975. Sold to an unidentified Staffordshire motorcoach and bus operator in 1975.

QUOTE: OilTreader » Tuesday, 11th December, 2018 7:41 pm

A variety with thanks to Dave Fawcett for permission to use.
Oily UNQUOTE.

I’ve got a great interest in fairground buses and motorcoaches,and the Bristol H as featured below is a classic example,and a rare survivor of
the Bristol H model,of which only 107 examples were built.

Bristol H5G,Chassis No.H160, FJ 8967,was originally built as a H4B with a Bristol petrol engine and a Brush B32R body.It was was re-engined
with a new Gardner 5LW Diesel-Oil Engine in 1939 - making this bus a H5G - and was re-bodied with its present Bristol body in November 1942.
Western National,No.137 became a showmans fairground vehicle in April 1957 with a Mr.Jones,Plymouth.
Became part of the West of England Transport Collection, Winkleigh,in November 1967.
In October 1996 Colin Billington,Fifield,Maidenhead,bought this Bristol for preservation and restored it.It is in Western National World War Two
livery. With it’s general styling,rear roof-mounted luggage rack and ladder,it could be easily mistaken for a motorcoach :slight_smile: generally similar
to Royal Blue motorcoaches of the mid-1930s,for example…I presume Western National Omnibus Company operated many rural bus and motorcoach services,some of which were long distance,so employed FJ 8967,No.137,and sister vehicles of the fleet on these long distance rural motorcoach and bus services.In other words they were Dual Purpose Vehicles.
Bristol H5G/11-1942 Bristol Single Decker Fairground Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Flickr-OilTreader.1#

Bristol H5G/11-1942 Bristol Single Decker Fairground Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Flickr.FNV.Flicker.1#

Bristol H5G/11-1942 Bristol B35R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Restored.FNV,Picssr,John G.Lidstone Photography.1# Its styling is largely influenced by the motorcoaches of the mid-1930s,such as
those operated by Royal Blue,Eastern Counties,Ribble Motor Services,Valiant Direct Motorcoaches,etc,etc.

.Bristol H5G,11-1942 Bristol B35R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Restored.FNV,Picssr,John G.Lidstone Photography.1#.jpg

Bristol H5G/11-1942 Bristol B35R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Restored.FOV,FocusFlickrTransport.1#

.Bristol H5G,11-1942 Bristol B35R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Restored.FOV,FocusFlickrTransport.1#.jpg

Bristol H5G/11-1942 Bristol B35R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Restored.RNV,Picssr-John G.Lidstone Photography.1#

.Bristol H5G,11-1942 Bristol B35R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Restored.RNV,Picssr-John G.Lidstone Photography.1#.jpg

Bristol H5G/1-1942 Bristol B35R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Restored.ROV,Rail Traction Photos-Richard Smith.1#

Bristol H5G/11-1942 Bristol B35R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Restored.FFV,Flickr,Mick Spencer.1#

.Bristol H5G,11-1942 Bristol B35R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.H160 ,FJ 8967,Exeter,7-1933,ex-Western National,No.137.New as Brush B32R.Preserved.Restored.FFV,Flickr,Mick Spencer.1#.jpg

VALKYRIE

rastone:

Froggy55:

rastone:

Tony

Thanks! I maybe even travelled on board of one when I was a schoolboy in London (1965-73). The bodywork is good looking.

KUF 700 an unsucessful Southdown PD2 which still managed to survive for 16 years in service.

old-bus-photos.co.uk/?p=31212

Froggy55:

rastone:

Froggy55:

rastone:

Tony

Thanks! I maybe even travelled on board of one when I was a schoolboy in London (1965-73). The bodywork is good looking.

Thier was a Ford R226 ,the 36 ft chassis to match the Bedford VAL,Trevor

In 1951 The Maidstone and District Motor Services Ltd purchased its flagship vehicle, NKN 650,“The Knightrider”, a petrol-engined Commer Avenger. Designated internally as LC1 (Luxury Coach 1), the name refers to the company HQ, Knightrider House in Knightrider Street, Maidstone. The body was built by Thomas Harrington Ltd, of Hove who along with Beadles of Dartford were the favoured choices at the time. The interior specification was designed by the company’s fleet engineer, being in luxury pullman style with just 16 seats arranged in 1+2 around tables, and with a cocktail bar at the rear. A generous luggage locker allowed for continental touring, but it was also used on short trips, such as to the races at Epsom. The vehicle survives into preservation.

About the tricentral ford coach on the previous page…does this company still operate ?. I did a little part time work for their Loughborough garage in 1977 just before I left for Canada . I drove a small minibus and a Bedford coach only worked a couple of times .