Buses, coaches, & lorries

ERF-NGC-European:

LYF 104 RTL 1163 was withdrawn from service in December 1962 and sold for spares. This is it now. There are more recent pictures as well.

onlineweb.com/buses-coaches … 201163.htm

flickriver.com/photos/tags/ … teresting/

A gathering of Leyland PD2 buses at Old Haymarket terminus in Liverpool.
The green ones are Liverpool Corporation Passenger Transport and the red
ones are Ribble Motor Services. The bus routes from this location served
the northern area of the city. The little Bedford artic on the left of the
picture is a mobile canteen for bus crews, one of several ex London Transport.
Immediately to the right of the picture is the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel.

Ray.

I have never seen this photo before, so I thought that it might be of interest to you Ray, as the article mentioned Ribble Garage, Wigan.

RIBBLE GARAGE, WIGAN..jpg

Yes, Mr M, This Leyland PD3, fleet number 1760, was transferred to the Ribble depot at Wigan in 1969.
From a drivers point of view, it was in a bad state. After about a month, it was sent to Ribble workshop
at Preston for a major overhaul, engine, transmission, bodywork, seating, etc. When it arrived back at
Wigan depot, it looked excellent in its Ribble livery, and it was a treat to drive. A few years later, 1760
took on this, in my opinion, dreadful advertising appearance. My time at Ribble as a PSV driver was from
early 1968 until early 1970. During my time with Ribble, the new rules regarding HGV drivers licensing
was introduced, and despite having driven artic lorries before I joined Ribble, I didnt qualify for a HGV
licence through what I believe was " Grandfather Rights ". What I thought was strange was that I could
drive any HGVs until my present licence expired. I started at the Wigan depot of Robert Baillie & Co
from Portsmouth early 1970,and went through their driving school for one day at their Horndean depot,
and passed the HGV Class 1 driving test the following day. Cheers, Ray.

These 2 pictures are of Ribble Leyland PD3 1760, first photo I think is at Preston
in its early days, and the second photo in later days on its way to Southport,
showing National Bus Company lettering.
Cheers, Ray.

An Arriva bus at Wigan bus station earlier today on route 113 to Preston.
In my opinion, it has an unusual mix of colours. Ray.

Photo0992.jpg

Bedfords, credit to kitmasterbloke for the photos and information.
Oily

Couple more this time credit to SCP for the photos.
Oily

Bus SCP 51413425643_13faa0730e_z.jpg

At St Marys Isles of Scilly credit to Rodtuk for the photo.
Oily

Bus St Marys Isles of Scilly Cornwall 09-09-2011 Rodtuk cc bys nc sa 2.0 6168932437_c793dae878_o.jpg

Last of the Bedfords for now, credit to Sludge G for the photo.
Oily

Right then where/what town is this Yelloway AEC Reliance? the year 1974, credit to John Ward for the photo.
ps no googling :laughing:
Oily

oiltreader:
Right then where/what town is this Yelloway AEC Reliance? the year 1974, credit to John Ward for the photo.
Oily

Can’t tell you the town
But 5hats a mk3 Cortina and guessing a Hillman Avenger waiting to join the roundabout

oiltreader:
Oily

Well, googling…XXXX…gives a result in a couple of clicks.

Facades are the same, and the pub seems to have the same name, although it has a paint job now.
Driver has 2 or 3 hour drive to do?

blue estate:

oiltreader:
Oily

Can’t tell you the town
But 5hats a mk3 Cortina and guessing a Hillman Avenger waiting to join the roundabout

Looks like a Cortina and a Capri and possibly Corsair and an …Avenger parked behind.
Ind Coope did Double Diamond from memory

Maroon Cortina with a grey roof behind the r/a and I’m going for a mk1(very difficult to see but the MK1 had a slight bulge in the bonnet behind the Cortina name and a narrower rear quarter panel with ventilator. MK3 Cortina and a Capri waiting to join the r/a , red Corsair parked or leaving the R/a and I think that is a maroon ■■■■■■ in front of it.

cav551:
Maroon Cortina with a grey roof behind the r/a and I’m going for a mk1(very difficult to see but the MK1 had a slight bulge in the bonnet behind the Cortina name and a narrower rear quarter panel with ventilator. MK3 Cortina and a Capri waiting to join the r/a , red Corsair parked or leaving the R/a and I think that is a maroon ■■■■■■ in front of it.

I didn’t zoom in enough thought it was an Avenger , now I can see it’s a Capri

oiltreader:
Oily

Google, William Barber Leather goods shop, comes up as 87 London Road Derby, Google earth the post code DE1 2QS, it shows the pub as The Royal Telegraph, the whole area has changed since the 1974 photograph, Did I get it correct ■■

Regards

John

Been to Wells next the sea today and this old girl is still working today taking people from the town to the beach. It’s a 1951 Leyland Tiger. Sounded superb.
According to the driver it started its life operating in the Mersey tunnel?

J.F.G:

oiltreader:
Oily

Google, William Barber Leather goods shop, comes up as 87 London Road Derby, Google earth the post code DE1 2QS, it shows the pub as The Royal Telegraph, the whole area has changed since the 1974 photograph, Did I get it correct ■■

Regards

John

Derby it is.
Oily

mushroomman:

ParkRoyal2100:
Back at you MM

youtube.com/watch?v=A4NlHJeBND0

AFAIK Denning were based in Acacia Ridge (Brisbane) but you can get a lot more info on the Bus Australia forums.
Incidentally, I’d forgotten that Denning made deckers as tour coaches: busaustralia.com/forum/down … p?id=72416

Thanks for that P.R. I enjoyed that. :smiley:

I hope that you haven’t been affected by the floods down there, so I hope that you don’t need one of these.

youtube.com/watch?v=83lwedVFFeg

Lots of lads will remember the Top Deck double decker’s that toured Europe and Asia in the 70’s and 80’s. I took these while we were waiting to go over to Fraser Island a few years ago.

Thanks mate. I’m OK here despite it chucking it down (again :unamused: ) but those living at lower elevations nearby are inundated again and a bit sick of it (think Forbes, Moree, Dubbo, Nyngan, Gunnedah, Wagga etc.).

Top Deck used to run (pensioned-off) Lodekkas if memory serves me.