Buses, coaches, & lorries

pyewacket947v:

Ray Smyth:
In addition to the posts above regarding Finchs Coaches, they now own this ex Wigan Corporation
Leyland PD2 with bodywork by Massey Bros of Pemberton, Wigan. I believe it is hired regularly
for wedding parties. It was owned previously by Doug Smith, a mobile crane driver/operator.

Ray Smyth.

They need to clear that undergrowth out of the guttering before it does serious damage.!!

Hi, The reason that this ex Wigan Corporation Leyland was photographed at this location was because the building was about
to be demolished. This enormous building was the Corporation bus garage at Melverley Street, not far from Wigan town centre.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:

pyewacket947v:

Ray Smyth:
In addition to the posts above regarding Finchs Coaches, they now own this ex Wigan Corporation
Leyland PD2 with bodywork by Massey Bros of Pemberton, Wigan. I believe it is hired regularly
for wedding parties. It was owned previously by Doug Smith, a mobile crane driver/operator.

Ray Smyth.

They need to clear that undergrowth out of the guttering before it does serious damage.!!

Hi, The reason that this ex Wigan Corporation Leyland was photographed at this location was because the building was about
to be demolished. This enormous building was the Corporation bus garage at Melverley Street, not far from Wigan town centre.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Thanks Ray, I wondered about that pic. For a minute I thought that Brian had won the Euromillions and given his yard a makeover :laughing: :laughing:

Hants & Dorset 1969

C69772EF-44A4-4D43-A881-3C4F07A1F4DA.jpeg

Wigan Corporation Transport only started buying Leyland Atlantean buses toward the end of the 1960s.
This Leyland, fleet number 163 with bodywork by Northern Counties is in a traffic queue toward the
top of Market Street in the centre of Wigan, on its way to Kitt Green, not far from M6 Junction 26.
The Leyland PD2 further down Market Street with bodywork by Massey Bros is D Reg from 1966.
Picture from Wigan World Forum.

Credit to Douglas Sinclair for the photo.
Oily

So

93033A01-D7DC-4399-81DD-8101553D1CBA.jpeg

robthedog:
So

Hi Rob, I have tried and tried to identify this location, but I am getting nowhere.
I think that the buses are all Guy. Perhaps it is Walsall . Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

robthedog:
So

Hi Rob, I have tried and tried to identify this location, but I am getting nowhere.

Seeing Docks destination I did a bit of sleuthing Ray and fairly sure it is Southampton with Guy Arabs back in the '50s. The 3 panel destination make up another clue.
google.com/search?q=1950s+S ā€¦ era&hs=r5e
Oily

oiltreader:

Ray Smyth:

robthedog:
So

Seeing Docks destination I did a bit of sleuthing Ray and fairly sure it is Southampton with Guy Arabs back in the '50s. The 3 panel destination make up another clue.
Oily

Correct itā€™s Southampton

Hereā€™s another

36570D68-793B-4219-B761-BD854BB02A6F.jpeg

oiltreader:

Ray Smyth:

robthedog:
So

Oily

Thank you Eddie for your information regarding the Guy buses, Your computer skills are far better than mine. Cheers, Ray. :smiley:

robthedog:
Hereā€™s another

The first bus is a 1946 Guy Arab followed by an 1939 Leyland TD5. Both bodied by Park Royal.

The two conductors look as if they are collecting mail sacks in the same way that the trains used to.

Dennis Javelin:

robthedog:
Hereā€™s another

The first bus is a 1946 Guy Arab followed by an 1939 Leyland TD5. Both bodied by Park Royal.

The two conductors look as if they are collecting mail sacks in the same way that the trains used to.

Hi DJ they are left turning hand signals all part of a conductor/clippies job back then and terminus turn round with reversing was also their responsibily with a blast on the whistle to stop they also did destination handle winding.
Oily

oiltreader:

Dennis Javelin:

robthedog:
Hereā€™s another

Hi DJ they are left turning hand signals all part of a conductor/clippies job back then and terminus turn round with reversing was also their responsibily with a blast on the whistle to stop they also did destination handle winding.
Oily

I was never aware of that Oily. What happened if they were upstairs collecting fares and the bus was turning left - serious question?

Dennis Javelin:

oiltreader:

Dennis Javelin:

robthedog:
Hereā€™s another

Oily

I was never aware of that Oily. What happened if they were upstairs collecting fares and the bus was turning left - serious question?

They would be well clued up on the route and the hand signal would/should be priority. Now the driver right hand signalling was via sliding door or as in this photo the small sliding window specially for signalling purposes. Yes this Albion has indicators but would have been added for preservation. The conductor was in charge of the bus tho the pay structure gave the driver a better wage.
Oily

Dennis Javelin mention the conductor being upstairsā€¦well a wee tale during by time on the Oxford buses and morning rush hour. Instructions from the conductor (a canny Geordie and good egg) sitting at the terminus ā€œdonā€™t leave on time and weā€™ll get a full load by the time we get to city centreā€
He took the bottom deck fares and didnā€™t go upstairs at all, city centre and heā€™s on the platform bottom of the stairs taking top deck passenger money people are in a hurry donā€™t wait for him to ring a ticket. Now then ā€œwe have the tea money and some, what da ya reckon bonny ladā€ :laughing: I used to have a pint with him long after I left the buses.
Oily

oiltreader:
Dennis Javelin mention the conductor being upstairsā€¦well a wee tale during by time on the Oxford buses and morning rush hour. Instructions from the conductor (a canny Geordie and good egg) sitting at the terminus ā€œdonā€™t leave on time and weā€™ll get a full load by the time we get to city centreā€
He took the bottom deck fares and didnā€™t go upstairs at all, city centre and heā€™s on the platform bottom of the stairs taking top deck passenger money people are in a hurry donā€™t wait for him to ring a ticket. Now then ā€œwe have the tea money and some, what da ya reckon bonny ladā€ :laughing: I used to have a pint with him long after I left the buses.
Oily

That reminds me of of a story told to me by my (at the time - late 60ā€™s) future brother in law. At that time Central SMT used to employ students part time as conductors, one of them being my BIL. I was going by bus to secondary school and had a choice of two buses - either Central SMT or Glasgow Corporation. On the Central SMT service I used it was normal to tell the conductor to ā€œkeep the ticketā€ and you would only pay half fare with the conductor pocketing the other half so naturally we would wait for that bus if possible.

However, according to my BIL, one day a new start didnā€™t want to play by these rules and charged everyone full fare. Naturally, when he got back to the depot to cash up, his takings were a lot greater than the normal take for that route so the management were alerted to what was going on. Now, as the management were all former drivers and conductors, they knew fine well what was going on - probably having done the same when the were on the road themselves but they had to be seen to be appalled at this. Cue a crackdown on this practice with more checks by inspectors - much to the annoyance of everyone.

Needless to say the George Washington of conductors didnā€™t stay long in the job and normal service was resumed within a few months.

Couple more

791BBC3F-E7A8-4C08-9711-38989F4E715A.jpeg

686D4500-4CE8-48B1-BEC9-7B8BD98656CF.jpeg

Hi Oily, the Albion Lowlander would have been fitted with flashing indicators from new, buses were fitted with them standard from about 1957-58.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

19 February 1989
Glos and Warks Railway
Toddington
Gloucs
Eng

HDG 448.
Albion Venturer CX 19/Metro Cammell.
Built 1949.
Fleet No 72
Chetenham and District.