Buses, coaches, & lorries

coomsey:
NMP off FB

That appears to be a Portuguese Saviem coach parked outside the Torre Belem near Cascais. :wink:

14 August 1988
Wythall Transport Museum
Chapel Lane
Wythall
Worcs
Eng

Again i know nothing about this old relic, other than i believe it is a Tilling Stevens.?

This yard at the side of the Liverpool & Leeds canal in Bootle, Merseyside is occupied by
Maghull Coaches. This site was for many years, the depot of Jarvis Robinson Transport.
Found this picture on the Bootle Times Forum. Ray Smyth.

English I may be, but I’ve lived in Oz for years (more than I care to mention) and I miss the sight and sound of a Detroit-engined Denning Landseer coach.

youtube.com/watch?v=VL2YphPm01k

That’d make it puff and pant a bit!

ERF-NGC-European:

Leyland TS7. New to Alexanders in Dec 1937. Bodied in house.

18 November 1989
M42/M6
Coleshill
Warks
Eng

KJW 88W
a Bowens Bedford coach keeping a low profile.

181189.jpg

Dennis Javelin:

ERF-NGC-European:

Leyland TS7. New to Alexanders in Dec 1937. Bodied in house.

Leyland continue to offer to body its buses into the late '40s with the advent of Titan PD1s. When exactly did they stop bodying buses?

Leyland stopped bodybuilding in 1954.
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Cheers Leyland 600

Thank you!

Ro

Leyland600:
Cheers Leyland 600

Did Leyland not do the bodywork on some Olympians in the late 80’s?

No, Leyland built the chassis at Lilyhall, Workington then the chassis were transported to Eastern Coachworks at Lowestoft, Northern Counties at Wigan not sure if Alexander bodied any at that time.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
No, Leyland built the chassis at Lilyhall, Workington then the chassis were transported to Eastern Coachworks at Lowestoft, Northern Counties at Wigan not sure if Alexander bodied any at that time.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

ECW’s last body was built in 1987 on Leyland Olympian chassis no ON2645. The body was serial no 26600 and was supplied to London Buses under reg no D263FUL.

According to Bus Lists On The Web body no’s DD1001 - 1197 were built between Jul 88 - Aug 92 exclusively on Leyland Olympian chassis (presumably at Workington) to the former design of ECW/Roe with slight modificatons.

I suppose whether this constitutes a Leyland body or not is a matter of conjecture. During the period Jul 88 - Aug 92 both Northern Counties and Alexanders supplied a large number of Olympians to their own design. I’m not saying it wouldn’t have happened but I would find it strange if they built any bodies to ECW/Roe’s design but as always I’m willing to be corrected. I do seem to recall reading during that period that Leyland were bodying Olympian buses at Workington but I may be suffering from the Mandela Effect. They also were building the Lynx at Workington between 86-92 with only a few being bodied by outside bodybuilders. You also have the National which was bodied at Workington in the 70’s and 80’s.

A Volvo double deck bus frim Finchs Coaches from Higher Ince, Wigan.
The company has approx 12 double deck buses mainly involved in school
children journeys. This vehicle was new to one of the London bus fleets,
and I think that the bodywork was by Northern Counties of Wigan.

Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
The company has approx 8 double deck buses mainly involved in school

Ray Smyth.

Its been a long time since I was down at their place but the last time I was there Brian had a ex Manchester area PD2 or 3 that he was restoring - I wonder if he ever finished it?

Dennis Javelin:

Ray Smyth:

Ray Smyth.

Its been a long time since I was down at their place but the last time I was there Brian had a ex Manchester area PD2 or 3 that he was restoring - I wonder if he ever finished it?

Hi Dennis, Thank you for your post. I have known the Finch family since the mid 1970s, I used to do the occasional job for them on a Saturday.
They were usually a load of boozers from a local pub for a long day out which included spending the afternoon at " The Races ", York, Catterick,
Uttoxeter, etc, then an evening at Wakefield Theatre Club or The Golden Garter in Manchester. The pay for the day was between £7.00 & £10.00.
I always got a boozers " Whip Round " of cash at the end of the long day, very often was between 30 & 40 quid. Dont tell the Inland Revenue.

The Leyland PD3 that you mentioned was MJA 893G, ex Stockport Corporation, which became SELNEC, South East Lancashire North East Cheshire.
I have always kept in touch with Finchs, and earlier today I had a chat to Brian Finch, he is past 80 years old and still working. Back in the 1970s
when I did the occasional job for Finchs, my contact was Dad, Fred Finch RIP, and Brians brother Raymond. There are a few Finchs pictures on here,
including a Harrington bodied AEC Reliance, ex Yelloway of Rochdale, reg no 7072 DK, what a great machine to drive that was. Not long back,
Brian Finch acquired ex Wigan Leyland PD2, reg no DEK 2D to do local weddings. It was previously owned by Doug Smith, a mobile crane driver,
ex Ainscoughs. Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Dennis Javelin:

Ray Smyth:

Ray Smyth.

I must have clicked on something wrongly, because the post that I put on last night which
was replied to by Dennis Javelin has re-appeared, Perhaps I am losing the plot. :unamused: :wink:

Ray Smyth.

In addition to the posts above regarding Finchs Coaches, they now own this ex Wigan Corporation
Leyland PD2 with bodywork by Massey Bros of Pemberton, Wigan. I believe it is hired regularly
for wedding parties. It was owned previously by Doug Smith, a mobile crane driver/operator.

Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
In addition to the posts above regarding Finchs Coaches, they now own this ex Wigan Corporation
Leyland PD2 with bodywork by Massey Bros of Pemberton, Wigan. I believe it is hired regularly
for wedding parties. It was owned previously by Doug Smith, a mobile crane driver/operator.

Ray Smyth.

They need to clear that undergrowth out of the guttering before it does serious damage.!!