Buses, coaches, & lorries

Buzzer:
One for you old bus boys, Buzzer

That’s a very handsome machine. Wonderful. :slight_smile:

The only photo I’ve taken of a bus,Scania 113 in it.
Taken at St. Moritz Bad in 90s on a Three Countries Tour - Austria - Switzerland - Italy - Switzerland.

Dennis J, I knew you would know where to find the gen on that Tiger PS1/1, I was well aware of the details when I posted and thought a bit of fun o see what answers the younger generation came up with as I fall into the Buzzers category of old busmen. I believe the company has ceased trading during the pandemic.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Dennis J, I knew you would know where to find the gen on that Tiger PS1/1, I was well aware of the details when I posted and thought a bit of fun o see what answers the younger generation came up with as I fall into the Buzzers category of old busmen. I believe the company has ceased trading during the pandemic.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Unfortunately the youngsters would have passed the question by :unamused: . It’s old ■■■■■ like us who think these vintage buses were works of art - as opposed to the rectangular boxes that pose for buses nowadays.

Aye but the buses we drove rarely broke down, how often did you see a Leyland PD2 or 3 or a Bristol Lodekka on the end of a bar, the same can be said for AECs, Daimlers and Guys. Their underfloor engined counterparts were much the same , the AEC underfloors let the side down with their overheating problems. Hardly a day goes by these days that you would see a modern buzz box being recovered most have a short life.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Aye but the buses we drove rarely broke down, how often did you see a Leyland PD2 or 3 or a Bristol Lodekka on the end of a bar, the same can be said for AECs, Daimlers and Guys. Their underfloor engined counterparts were much the same , the AEC underfloors let the side down with their overheating problems. Hardly a day goes by these days that you would see a modern buzz box being recovered most have a short life.
Cheers, Leyland 600

I would add to all that, that the old 'uns were way more comfortable too. The seats were more comfortable and the ride was better. Furthermore, even the performance was better IMHO. The AEC Regent Vs performed better on our undulating landscape in East Kent in the '60s than any of the tin boxes that now ply the routes. It’s called ‘progress’ apparently!

Does anybody know if AEC’s ever did an under slung engine where the oil had to be dipped with the engine ticking over

ERF-NGC-European:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

I would add to all that, that the old 'uns were way more comfortable too. The seats were more comfortable and the ride was better. Furthermore, even the performance was better IMHO. The AEC Regent Vs performed better on our undulating landscape in East Kent in the '60s than any of the tin boxes that now ply the routes. It’s called ‘progress’ apparently!

I would have to agree wholeheartedly with the comment about comfort. My recollections of Guys/Crossleys and
Daimler double decks built in the early 50s does not include bone shaking rides accompanied by rattles, creaks and
groans and quivering panels as is the norm with our local Wright Volvos… and you could fix the old un’s with a
Birmingham toolbox,a hammer, a screwdriver and a pair of pliers,oh and a adjustable spanner…!!

pyewacket947v:

ERF-NGC-European:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

I would have to agree wholeheartedly with the comment about comfort. My recollections of Guys/Crossleys and
Daimler double decks built in the early 50s does not include bone shaking rides accompanied by rattles, creaks and
groans and quivering panels as is the norm with our local Wright Volvos… and you could fix the old un’s with a
Birmingham toolbox,a hammer, a screwdriver and a pair of pliers,oh and a adjustable spanner…!!

You’re right about the Wright buses , I took a 14plt first Hants one up to Fareham railway station from Gosport the other week , bang crash squeak all the way and the driver took a wrong turn as he forgot he was driving the 9 route not the 9A one :unamused:

grumpy old man:
Does anybody know if AEC’s ever did an under slung engine where the oil had to be dipped with the engine ticking over

Yes folklore says that the A219 engine in the Regal IV has to be checked with the engine running. That however is not what the AEC manual says. It can certainly be a pain getting the oil level right after an oil change however. If you follow the folklore you end up with the sump overfull. If you do what the book says and you then check the oil with the engine running you start worrying that it is practically off the stick. Check the oil level at the end of a day when the engine has run for at least 45 minutes and within 5 minutes of switching off.

cav551:

grumpy old man:

Yes folklore says that the A219 engine in the Regal IV has to be checked with the engine running. That however is not what the AEC manual says. It can certainly be a pain getting the oil level right after an oil change however. If you follow the folklore you end up with the sump overfull. If you do what the book says and you then check the oil with the engine running you start worrying that it is practically off the stick. Check the oil level at the end of a day when the engine has run for at least 45 minutes and within 5 minutes of switching off.

I asked because I used to do a bit of part timing for National Travel, I’d done the London to Halifax service one day with a long forgotten AEC , back to the Frost Hill depot and pulled onto the pumps…“leave it running driver” :open_mouth: …fuel was going in and the garage man dipped the oil. I’d never seen or heard of that before

:laughing:

blue estate:

pyewacket947v:

ERF-NGC-European:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

You’re right about the Wright buses , I took a 14plt first Hants one up to Fareham railway station from Gosport the other week , bang crash squeak all the way and the driver took a wrong turn as he forgot he was driving the 9 route not the 9A one :unamused:

blue estate:

pyewacket947v:

ERF-NGC-European:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

I’m not an expert in bodybuilding but I’ve always believed that the longer wheelbases used nowadays coupled with what seems like bigger windows contributes to a lot of the rattles and groans from today’s buses. It would be interesting to get an opinion from anyone who is from the bodybuilding fraternity - and I don’t mean Mr Muscles types :smiley: :smiley:

Well I can date the change from comfy old buses to brash new ones at around 1970. I went away to college that year in Eastbourne. Eastbourne Corporation was still running elderly AEC Regent 111s and Regal single-deckers (as well as PD2s and Regent Vs) but it had just introduced the new generation of OMO single-deckers. I was appalled at the difference in comfort, ride and driving characteristics. Gone was the smooth pull-away from halt, for a start. And the noise was deafening. Shortly afterwards, the Leyland National plagued the nation and they were the worst of the lot IMHO.

32802188373_ebd280d8b6_z.jpg

One from beaulieu mm

Hi ERF NJC I totally agree with your statement as for the Nationals although built local to me and having driven quite few early ones they were the pits. To be fair the Mk IIs with Leyland 680 or Gardner 6HLXB were much better but the Bristol RE was the best rear engined single decker killed of by British Leyland in favour of the National. However a good AEC Regent Mk III or Leyland PD2 or 3 took some beating for reliability.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

ERF-NGC-European:
Well I can date the change from comfy old buses to brash new ones at around 1970. I went away to college that year in Eastbourne. Eastbourne Corporation was still running elderly AEC Regent 111s and Regal single-deckers (as well as PD2s and Regent Vs) but it had just introduced the new generation of OMO single-deckers. I was appalled at the difference in comfort, ride and driving characteristics. Gone was the smooth pull-away from halt, for a start. And the noise was deafening. Shortly afterwards, the Leyland National plagued the nation and they were the worst of the lot IMHO.

A Daimler Roadliner alongside a Leyland Panther and Panther Cub (ex Leyland demonstrator I think). Their fleet engineer must have been on drugs. Either that or he was partial to the odd brown envelope :wink: :wink:

Dennis Javelin:

ERF-NGC-European:

A Daimler Roadliner alongside a Leyland Panther and Panther Cub (ex Leyland demonstrator I think). Their fleet engineer must have been on drugs. Either that or he was partial to the odd brown envelope :wink: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

Dennis Javelin:

ERF-NGC-European:

:laughing: :laughing:

I remember a Daimler single deck demonstrator turning up at Birmingham City Transport, Selly Oak Depot.
It had a ■■■■■■■ Vee 6 at the rear, well whatever it was called, it should never have been allowed out.
In fact, i am inclined to think it escaped and Daimler where not too keen on having it back.
I only shunted it around the depot and my abiding memory was the sound of several empty dustbins being dragged
behind it and a haze of blue smoke in its wake.!!

Pictures taken earlier today, Monday 28/06/2021, at the bus station in Wigan town centre.

Ray Smyth.

Photo0420.jpg

Photo0419.jpg

Photo0418.jpg