Bury St.Edmunds parking cock-up

i will be down that way tomorrow nite,will see if anything as changed.

i always (used to) park on the industrial estate on chapel pond hill, bit of a stomp into town, but a good bit of excersize!!

bigandy:
i will be down that way tomorrow nite,will see if anything as changed.

Well its been 3 years since this was posted so I would of thought it probably has :wink: :laughing:

Probably built a Tesco’s and a thousand houses

Cliff Warby:

Welshman:
Had a similar problem didnt have any change,but there is enough room to park at the side of the barrier while you go into town to get change.There is a decent pub that does food across the road from the exit down by the toilets.

It’s called the Grapes and that is my old ‘local’, but when i was on the road and could only stop off for a few hours I used to park in the lay-by behind Woolies and opposite the ‘Chippy’ which is literally 10 steps from the grapes! :laughing:

You can’t get down that road now Cliff, it is a sort of bus-stop no parking zone now. They are preparing to build a new shopping centre there!

job got cancelled so went to BP coryton instead,
free parking on site,free showers and clean loo’s,use of canteen cabin. :smiley:

Wanted to get clear of Felixstowe last night and had about an hours driving time left on a 9. I’d never had the chance to fully explore Bury St.Edmunds for finding a pub and being able to park within spitting distance and the atrocious “lorry park” at the Bury East turn off (one before the Sugar Bowl) just wasn’t going to happen, not tonight, not ever.

I’d heard mention of parking at a cattle market or something so headed for the city centre :sunglasses: Turned right at the island at the top of the hill and found myself on a very narrow road heading towards some shops. Came to a painted island with signs saying cattle market left, so took a left and then found myself at another painted island with exits straight across, left and right but alas, all with height barriers :open_mouth: Obviously not being able to “spin” a 40ft trailer round on a painted island I was faced with the frustratingly annoying task of having to reverse back about 200yds with cars flying round the corner of the island previous at break-neck speeds to get in where I couldn’t ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nuff shocked-face car-drivers later I had it turned round and after obtaining some directions, trooped back up to the island on the main road, hung a right, down the hill to the next one, did a 180, back up the other side and up the tight slip road into the lorry park, SUCCESS ! :smiley: :exclamation:

Uh-oh, is that a meter I can see up ahead ? :open_mouth: Yep, wanting 3 of my finest pound coins :unamused: Uh-oh, no change except for a 5p and a 1p coin :open_mouth: What now ? Nowhere to turn round, no money to get in ? :unamused:

Nothing else for it then, blind-side reverse back down the sliproad onto the main road :open_mouth: 10 shunts later, finally made it. It was nice of the guy in the waiting artic behind me to get out and give me a hand watching my blind-side and traffic so that I didn’t hit anything/cause a smash :frowning:

So, where now ? Now over hours and into a 10 :frowning: Started heading back towards the lorry park I was determined to avoid but came to the double painted islands where the pub is and took a right turn there. Went along there 500 yds and came to a BP garage on a set of lights and the Spread Eagle pub on the right. Aye-oop what’s that on the left, is it a car park ? Yep, without a height barrier and big enough to get a couple of artics in. Perfect! Beer and grub at the pub’s good too. So with my new-found place to park, there endeth the tale. :sunglasses:

Cool story :sunglasses:.I have been to Bury St.Edmunds,with my dad,we was lucky,we was tipping in the brewery and we parked in there for the night,otherwise we would of proberly had the same problems as you had.
Anyway cool story :smiley:

Had a similar problem didnt have any change,but there is enough room to park at the side of the barrier while you go into town to get change.There is a decent pub that does food across the road from the exit down by the toilets.

:smiley: Cheers MAD28 :sunglasses:

And Welshman, I realised that but I have an unwritten rule that I don’t pay for parking, anywhere, ever (unless it involves a trip into town in the car :sunglasses: ) so the reverse out was necessary. :smiley:

And you think us Jocks are tight… :wink:

I also have a little story about Bury cattle market! We often used to park there, because like you say it’s ideal for food and a few beers in the town. As opposed to the new park, which is ideal for that one thing- ‘park’!
Three of us arrived there in ‘convoy’ at about 7 one night a couple of years ago. My mate in front of me pulled up to the barrier and ran back to me- “It’s gone up! Have you got another quid?” I gave him the coin and he ran back to put his money in the slot. Second problem, the slot was rejecting every coin he put in. So me and my mate behind me walked up and tried some of our coins, but alas, same problem. Anyways, by this time there was a quite a queue developing, back around the bend, off the sliproad and into the road in fact! So after a few minutes of Umm-ing and Arr-ing, realising that none of us had too much time left, and that it was gonna take several stressful minutes and a few scrubbed tyres to back us all up out of the way, i noticed that the lift-up barrier was only bolted onto it’s ‘lifting box’ (Sorry, not got with barrier terminoligy!). So a quick dive into the outside locker of the cab, and a few twists later all vehicles were safely in the park free of charge, we were supping a few well deserved jars in the local establishments, and the barrier was lying peacefully by the kerb!

Luckily no tickets in the morning by the way, and our fears of being watched on CCTV didn’t come to anything either.

It was an emergency you understand, i don’t make a habit of it!

Welshman:

It’s called the Grapes and that is my old ‘local’, but when i was on the road and could only stop off for a few hours I used to park in the lay-by behind Woolies and opposite the ‘Chippy’ which is literally 10 steps from the grapes! :laughing: