Bunk in a shit state - advice please!

Just posting in the “whining about Actroses” thread got me thinking.

I’m probably going to be sent out tramping soon, most likely in the unit I’ve been in this week. I don’t mind putting up with the battered unit, I’m a new driver so it makes sense… but the mattress on the bottom bunk is a ■■■■■■■ disgrace. It’s got a fair patch of oil on it, a LOT of Mystery Stains and is generally ■■■■■■■ filthy. The top one is slightly better, but still not good.

How much fuss would you make about it? or would you ■■■■ it up, stick a mattress protector on it and make the best of a bad job?

Your in the army now son… [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Depends how long your gonna have it an how many nights out your having.

go buy a topper then shove a cover over it etc

nick2008:
Depends how long your gonna have it an how many nights out your having.

go buy a topper then shove a cover over it etc

+1 on that , Never sleep directly on a truck mattress :open_mouth:

Take some cleaning kit with you next time and give it your best shot but definitely buy a mattress protector and also probably won’t get anywhere whinging to the boss man .

If dipper dave has been using the unit, burn the mattress

Get some cling film or stretch wrap. Wrap that thing up. that should lock in bad smells & other nasty stuff. :grimacing:

Brake cleaner is great for getting oily stains off…don’t forget the matches too!

Just to add some covers actually come off leaving just the foam

ive always asked for a new mattress if I got a different motor,and it was dirty stained only ever been refused once and it was MANKY…told the office it goes or I go…I walked, if they wont give you respect …would they sleep on a manky ■■■■■ mattress at home ,no I will not either.

I sorted it by putting up with it.

I gave it a blast of antibacterial spray, then once my cab was suitably fumigated, put on a mattress protector and a topper over that. It didn’t smell bad, it’s just that nobody has given a ■■■■ about looking after it… a bit like every other aspect of the unit. :unamused:

I haven’t dared open the fridge (it probably is broken like everything else!), I’m just not going to deal with that. I don’t plan on carrying anything that needs to be cold anyway.

slowlane:
I sorted it by putting up with it.

I gave it a blast of antibacterial spray, then once my cab was suitably fumigated, put on a mattress protector and a topper over that. It didn’t smell bad, it’s just that nobody has given a [zb] about looking after it… a bit like every other aspect of the unit. :unamused:

I haven’t dared open the fridge (it probably is broken like everything else!), I’m just not going to deal with that. I don’t plan on carrying anything that needs to be cold anyway.

I’d warm water and bicarbonate of soda clean it then wipe it and leave it open all weekend, come the warmer weather it’ll be nice to pull a chilled can out :wink:

Er, wet bicarb? That just cakes up. The point of using bicarb is that it absorbs smells, you want to be able to vacuum it away after.

I’m pretty experienced with this sort of thing from my years of taxi driving - bicarb will absorb the smells, but once you’ve thoroughly vacuumed it, you want to use stuff like ‘Refresh Your Car’ spray (can get it from Halfrauds in a blue/white squarish bottle) - it’s full of alcohol and antibacterial, go a bit crazy with it on all soft furnishings (hold your breath if you don’t want your lungs to bleed), let it sit with the windows closed to give it a chance to work then air it out. That’ll kill the bacteria that’s causing the smell in the first instance.

Pallet wrap isn’t a bad shout but the squeaking might get on your ■■■■ so you could probably just get one of those rubber mattress covers, you can just wipe it off when you change trucks.

slowlane:
Just posting in the “whining about Actroses” thread got me thinking.

I’m probably going to be sent out tramping soon, most likely in the unit I’ve been in this week. I don’t mind putting up with the battered unit, I’m a new driver so it makes sense… but the mattress on the bottom bunk is a [zb] disgrace. It’s got a fair patch of oil on it, a LOT of Mystery Stains and is generally [zb] filthy. The top one is slightly better, but still not good.

How much fuss would you make about it? or would you ■■■■ it up, stick a mattress protector on it and make the best of a bad job?

Personally I’d refuse to take it out if I was tramping in it.

The company are paying £25 or so to have you out for the night. If they paid £25 for a hotel room and the mattress / room was in that sort of state, they’d be asking for a refund.

Fortunately the truck I drive is mint, it has been since new and I look after it as though I’d bought it. Very few companies are like this, especially with the older trucks.

Why should you have to spend a few hard earned shillings so you can be fresh for your days work. Have a meeting with your TM and tell him/her that you’ve got no issues in going tramping but you’re not prepared to do it with the truck in that state. It might be called Tramping but that doesn’t mean you actually have to live like one.