Bullet proof windscreens?

Does anyone know how much a bullet proof screen, like the ones ford spec, costs? Reason I ask is, I’m on my 3rd screen in my 60 reg, and it’s got a crack in it. That’ll be 4 screens by 2 years old at it’s next mot. First one was a merc one, this and last one are budgets. This screen lasted 4 days before I got done by an un sheeted skip lorry. Surely a screen like ford use would’ve been cheaper than 3 replacements :open_mouth:

You are obviously driving to close to the vehicle in front. :smiley:
Why not just change them at mot time.

Both happened when I was overtaking slower skip motors. Just one of those luck of the draw things. Shame I can’t get these odds for the lottery. Changed the first one at mot, but the second one had a crack in the wiper field on the drivers side. Maritime policy to change instantly. This one got done on the near side, so will be done at mot

Mad how it goes at times. I went months without a puncture or blow out and ended up with two in a week the other week.

OVLOV JAY:
Does anyone know how much a bullet proof screen, like the ones ford spec, costs? Reason I ask is, I’m on my 3rd screen in my 60 reg, and it’s got a crack in it. That’ll be 4 screens by 2 years old at it’s next mot. First one was a merc one, this and last one are budgets. This screen lasted 4 days before I got done by an un sheeted skip lorry. Surely a screen like ford use would’ve been cheaper than 3 replacements :open_mouth:

Thought you meant proper Bullet proof screens! :wink: used to test fire 7.62mm from a Gympy and Slr in the good old days to see how far they’d penetrate! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: they cost a bomb :laughing: :sunglasses: :smiley:

kr79:
Mad how it goes at times. I went months without a puncture or blow out and ended up with two in a week the other week.

That’s not luck, someone just doesn’t like you :laughing:

I think you’ll find a bulletproof screen will crack and splinter but won’t let anything through. You’d still need a new screen but at least you’d be alive to request it.

A few weeks ago I was running the corridor at around 4am when there was a hell of a bang and I felt like what can only be described as being flicked with water from a hose.

It was still dark but having turned on the cab light the entire cab was covered in minute shards of glass.

Upon closer inspection of the screen I could see a hole the size of a golfball.

When I got chance to stop I looked and both laminates of glass had shattered leaving only the thin plastic layer in between. My only theory judging by the size of hole is that I was hit by something like a wheelnut flicked up from the opposite carriageway.

Although it definitely wasn’t a bullet I was pretty impressed that although the screen was wrecked the object didn’t make it in to the cab.

Cheers
Neilf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you where fortunate too as a wheel nut or other object weighing /and traveling fast enough to do that sort a damage to the screen had gotten trough it and hit you, it would of been a different outcome, Although the odd’s are stacked against it ever happening again to you , in fact the majority of us

neilf:
I think you’ll find a bulletproof screen will crack and splinter but won’t let anything through. You’d still need a new screen but at least you’d be alive to request it.

A few weeks ago I was running the corridor at around 4am when there was a hell of a bang and I felt like what can only be described as being flicked with water from a hose.

It was still dark but having turned on the cab light the entire cab was covered in minute shards of glass.

Upon closer inspection of the screen I could see a hole the size of a golfball.

When I got chance to stop I looked and both laminates of glass had shattered leaving only the thin plastic layer in between. My only theory judging by the size of hole is that I was hit by something like a wheelnut flicked up from the opposite carriageway.

Although it definitely wasn’t a bullet I was pretty impressed that although the screen was wrecked the object didn’t make it in to the cab.

Cheers
Neilf

Why have you got 3 dead chickens hanging in the windscreen? :laughing:

Years ago,when i was doing recovery work,our company had an old D reg Cargo crewcab. Me and the cargo didn’t get on very well,one week going along an A road stopped in a queue,a transit used it as an emergency stopping area-no damage to the truck-but the transit was looking second hand.
Later on in the week I was in Bacup,where the streets off the main road mostly aproach at a steep angle.The punter asked me to turn up one-but i couldn’t as the beavertail would have caught. As i waited for them to figure out how to get home on a less steep turn yet another transit ran into the back of me. This one was doing a homer in a manchester council van.
Now getting to the thread,2 days later driving up the M74 I saw a ■■■■■■ big crow heading (luckily)for the passenger side of the windscreen. BANG,there it is feathers and blood on the outside–beak all the way through on the inside–being honest i nearly ■■■■ myself. It was an interesting call to the gaffer–he hated replacing windscreens because,although you pay the £50 excess-because you are vat registered he had to pay the vat on the whole job!

I guess you can be grateful the crow wasn’t being delivered by a transit at least though right ? :smiling_imp:

Suedehead:

I would have thought that was obvious.

As a driver of a truck with a lightbar and frilly curtains I only earn a pittance and need to supplement my income by selling poached poultry. LOL.

Cheers
Neilf

‘Bullit proof’ means an ordinary bullit or other object will not pass through it, the screen still cracks or has large chips so it’s not going to make any difference except cost a lot more.

neilf:

Suedehead:

I would have thought that was obvious.

As a driver of a truck with a lightbar and frilly curtains I only earn a pittance and need to supplement my income by selling poached poultry. LOL.

Cheers
Neilf

Moy Park are looking for drivers around here in Lincs aparantly :wink:

Fairly common here in Australia to use mesh windscreen protectors on highway trucks:
hyway-store.com/index.php?di … y_id=15965
These guys make a huge range