Bulker tipper advice please . .

Any tips on tipping a ‘sticky’ load ■■?

Particularly asking about quarried lime … although the bucket driver tips it into the trailer as gently as he can, (as opposed to dolloping it in), when we come to tip some 6 hours later it seems to like to cling to the base of the trailer, particularly about 4 or 5 tonnes of the stuff right at the front, making it somewhat unstable when the tipper is fully in the air.

Any top tips ? ? ?

I’ve never loaded quarried lime before. We carry a lot of peat which can be particularly sticky, we always spread a few shovels of sand over the trailer floor which works really well.

We do a lot of lime and recycled lime products to farms and some can be a right pain.
First thing I would say is make sure the body is dry and clean, the coating gravel and sand leaves can help it stick.
We had a step frame bulker and that was next to useless on lime and sticky stuff, now we only have weightlifter sloapers which seem to be a lot better.
As Diff Lock says plenty of sharp sand round the neck can help, if its available, more often than not it isn’t.
If the ground your tipping on is firm we usually resort to pulling clear of the heap that as come out and ramming it back ( in the 12 years ive being doing it we haven’t had one go over yet, famous last words) if that doesn’t work I afraid its climb in the back with the shovel. :frowning:
The joys of being a tipper driver, im sure if the rest knew what we had to put up with they would have more respect for us………ok probably not. :laughing:

Does giving the fully raised body a good clout with a heavy rubber mallet help with these loads at all.
Helps with the powder tanks with certain loads, especially if you cimb on the rear wing support or rear wheel so you can hit the body amidships to send more vibration up the top.

Haven’t carried the load in question but in a previous life on bulk tippers loads like leather shavings (back when we had a viable leather/boot and shoe industry among others) could stick too, used to pull forward and jerk the load back, care needed and you obviously choose your ground well, have a look in the back before doing this in case the load has shifted from one side only thats when things get dicey.

Mr Bam:
We do a lot of lime and recycled lime products to farms and some can be a right pain.
First thing I would say is make sure the body is dry and clean, the coating gravel and sand leaves can help it stick.
We had a step frame bulker and that was next to useless on lime and sticky stuff, now we only have weightlifter sloapers which seem to be a lot better.
As Diff Lock says plenty of sharp sand round the neck can help, if its available, more often than not it isn’t.
If the ground your tipping on is firm we usually resort to pulling clear of the heap that as come out and ramming it back ( in the 12 years ive being doing it we haven’t had one go over yet, famous last words) if that doesn’t work I afraid its climb in the back with the shovel. :frowning:
The joys of being a tipper driver, im sure if the rest knew what we had to put up with they would have more respect for us………ok probably not. :laughing:

12 years sounds like a good record . . . on only my second trip as a ‘tipper driver’ (a few weeks ago) my mate went over right next to me, identical unit and trailer . . .he was OK but had a trip to hospital to check him out . . s**t me up a bit, hence the reason I am looking for top tips :laughing:
Thanks for your sound advice by the way.

If you are new to the tipper game a couple more points to watch (especially with farmers).
Always have a look where they want you to tip first, the ground might be fine for is John Deere 7830, but if you get bogged down theres a good chance it wont be enough to pull you out. You will also find that the farmer has a big concrete pad but he will always want is lime “over there “ at the other side of that swamp :confused:

When tipping have the body up or down, don’t go messing about pulling forward with the body half up, that’s when they usualy fall over :open_mouth: , just make sure you leave room for your back door and fire it up to the top, when you feel the load slide out start to breath again :smiley: , you will have a few brown trouser moments. :open_mouth:
Some people say dump the air out of the trailer suspension, but to be honest when we have tried it, it sees to make it more unstable, especialy on dodgy ground.

Just one more point, farmers also like you to tip near power lines. Keep well away from them, you would be surprised how far they can arc on a damp day, when it does it tends to blows most of the tires out :smiley: and goes with a hell of a bang, made me spill my coffee when my mate did it :imp:

If you need any more info just ask.

Rich.

With regards to the power lines- KEEP WELL AWAY!
A workmate of mine lost his hair and odd bits of his hands and feet and was unable to return to the haulage game. It happened when nearby power lines were wet due to recent rain. The raised tipping trailer’s body was also wet and the spark arced about six feet between the two. Lorry was a mess with all tyres wrecked, plus odd bits of fibreglass cab and wiring.

Hiya you may never tip sugar beet pulp(they dry most of it nowaday’s)if you do it’ll be on a concrete base.
you shoot up the tipper and as soon as you feel the pulp slide… GO!! if you ease forward and then stop, the
pulp which is kind of spongy(fluffy)compacts and pushes out the sides and just will not go through the back
door. then you’ll have one hell of a job with a beet fork for ages.second bad one to that is scrap engines,
the bolt’s stick into the sides and get jammed…nightmare. I,ve had the same problems tipping lime as you .
i had a 8 wheeler and thought it had gone over, the load let go at the last moment and the body come over
to centre again.
John

All cracking advice, much appreciated :smiley: