Bulk tippers

Hi all, looking for a change in work and wondering what class 1 bulk tippers are like? I understand it’s mainly aggs and animal feed but is it good work? Cheers

I did8 years on aggregate delivery. If you can get on the long distance work it’s great. But if you end up working for a local quarry doing local plants then it’s boring doing 8/9/10 tips to the same plant all day.
The bonus is though no RDC waiting rooms to deal with and usually a quick tip and away you go.

Just done a months fridge work to rdc and already fed up haha hate the places! Only good thing at the moment is that you stay in your truck due to COVID, think tippers will be more enjoyable, I did 2 years on rigid tippers but hopefully might get a bit further distance on artics

Can be queueing to deliver grain, but you are with your vehicle not stuck in some pound shop guantanamo style holding pen at a poxy rdc.

I did it 30 odd years ago, enjoyed it mostly, money isn’t fantastic and there’s no pallets to flog, but usually the wagons go like hell and seldom does anyone take any notice of the umpteen excess speed warnings the tacho logs.

Oh I had a fun time on bulkers in my early days of trucking, did a stint with robinsons of Worcester which would have been a lot better if the management and planning staff weren’t breathing down your neck all week :neutral_face:

Quarry work was simple and you get to know the weighbridge guys too which is nice because they will sometimes cut you a break if you are a few kgs over gross but the grain work can be a ■■■■■ sometimes, not only the waiting in line for hours at a mill but also some of the places you go to load, a farm out in the sticks, pushing an Arctic down narrow country lanes with 7.5 tonne limits and no alternative route, all that good stuff.

Also I hope you don’t mind pushing a broom around too as if you haul grain then switch to load bedding sand or something then you gotta get in the back and sweep the old wheat out or it will sprout in the sand when you dump it again and that can get quite dusty too when sweeping wheat out of a trailer.

Also fun reversing half a mile (exaggeration) through a farm around buildings to dump sand next to a cow shead and walking through ■■■■ and slurry to open the back doors etc.

If you can get through that then you will be all good. . . Beware of a certain Lafarge site in Birmingham though, I can’t remember the name but the weighbridge there was not built for Arctic’s and you have to pull around a VERY tight U-turn to get on the bridge and many a tires have been popped on that thing according to the weighbridge operator as well as the pile of wheel flags on the floor too :laughing:

Juddian:
Can be queueing to deliver grain, but you are with your vehicle not stuck in some pound shop guantanamo style holding pen at a poxy rdc.

I did it 30 odd years ago, enjoyed it mostly, money isn’t fantastic and there’s no pallets to flog, but usually the wagons go like hell and seldom does anyone take any notice of the umpteen excess speed warnings the tacho logs.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: