Bulk Tipper loads

Hi All,

Can anyone please help me determine how bulk tipper driving loads are procured.

Does the work come from web sites such as ‘Return Loads’ ‘Haulage Exchange’ etc, or is it through sub-contracting from larger bulk tipper companies.

How are the loads that are being transported costed - MOT - Tarmac - Quarry materials - Construction debris ?

How is the owner driver paid for his services?

Your help would be very much appreciated

Truck owner paid by ton but can be paid on day work if on a patching job
Mostly franchises they come first sub contractors are also used sometimes a sub cintractor will sub it out again to other hauliers but as far as i know you can get in touch direct
Sub contractors can be from anywhere and they would have worked with the quarrys for years on and off depending on available work.
Not sure how a quary costs a job there can be big jobs where some days a job might require a 1000 tons plus a day.

Are you doing it with an Artic or Rigid?
If your getting a bulk tipper that’s mostly suited to waste or light materials like bark compost, etc. Best bet is see if any companies want you to sub contract for them?
As said most aggregate companies take you as a franchisee. Might be easier Subbing for a muckaway firm on an eight wheeler depends what work you are after what vehicle etc

Mostly quarry work is done on a tonne/mile basis…but beware.

If it’s calculated on a ‘radial’ basis, then you are paid for the distance the site is away from the quarry, as measured in a straight line on a map, with a ruler.

You may well also find that you can’t use the shortest route…either because of TROs (weight, width etc) or because the quarry co has agreed to conditions like "no tippers on School Street from 8am to 9.30 and 2pm to 4.30.’

Typically the quarry will put its own trucks on the easiest work, then the sub-cons get the next lot, and the independent guys get the worst routes and most difficult sites.

What I’d do…set myself up as a sand and gravel supplier, buy from the quarries and sell to the customer concentrating on smaller loads to small builders…aiming for the niche between a bulk bag and an 8-wheeler load. That way you get a profit from the load, not just a price for the transport. Building a customer base would be the hardest part, and would entail a lot of slogging around sites, talking to builders, and scanning planning applications for folk having extensions or developing small plots.

If you need to ask questions like that best you don’t bother-just throw your money straight in the bin.