Bulk bags, securing of?

Can anyone point me to the regs on carrying bulk bags please?
[zb] if I can find it.

not sure of specific regs some one with vastly more knowledge will come along i’m sure

But when i worked on the pallet network and some nutjob ordered 1ton of pebbles and got it delivered via us. all we had to do was make sure the side straps where down it was a curtain side truck though.

i thought what ever you were carrying had to be strapped? or at least the side straps down either side of your curtain if that was done then happy days. I’m not sure bulk bags need any special treatment…

Sure i’m about to learn something new in the next half hour :grimacing:

bulk bags of what exactly ? and what size , shape of bags ? any gaps between them ?

beefy4605:
bulk bags of what exactly ? and what size , shape of bags ? any gaps between them ?

Aggregates, normally chippings or stone ballast in 1 ton bags, no gaps though and high-ish sides like you’d see on a Jewsons wagon- they never strap them from what Ive seen!

Gembo:

beefy4605:

Aggregates, normally chippings or stone ballast in 1 ton bags, no gaps though and high-ish sides like you’d see on a Jewsons wagon- they never strap them from what Ive seen!

Everything on the back of the lorry has to be strapped if vosa stop you then good luck■■?

Bloody wood chocks have to be strapped never mind bulk bags

The only way you could get away with not strapping it, is if you have “positive fit” so no gaps forwards or sideways or backwards, and the body of the truck is rated the same as an XL rated trailer.

It doesn’t take long to throw a strap over.

Depends on the trailer and also how theyre loaded. As F reds says, tightly rammed in with no gaps and you’ll get away with two straps across the back. We use nothing but tilts and are often fully loaded with 1tonne bulk bags of fertiliser or agg and the sideboards are strong enough to not warrant anything at all…

i often move bulk bags of scrap plastic granuels. 1 ton per bag. usually 24-26 at a time.

just throw a ratchet over them. takes seconds and they will not move.

just watch your head cos sometimes the strap pulls the bag down slightly upon tightening and you geg a little “waterfall” of whatever is in them trickle down

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I use a tipper net then strap over the bags and net or depending on the product rope the gaps instead .

I always strap them but with the high drop sides that are level with the tops of the bags, Ive often wondered if I’m wasting my time.
Every builders merchant truck Ive seen never has them strapped if they have drop sides on the wagon.

Gembo:
I always strap them but with the high drop sides that are level with the tops of the bags, Ive often wondered if I’m wasting my time.
Every builders merchant truck Ive seen never has them strapped if they have drop sides on the wagon.

they should be i’m sure :neutral_face:

If you had a lump of steel on a flat bed with high sides i’d still strap the ■■■■■■■ thing!!!

If you tip over in a less dramatic way, if they are strapped at least your going to do less damage… i mean a ton bag aint going to come flying out if its strapped. if not then can you imagine a ton bag of sand catapulting from your truck and landing on top of a car.,

Do it properly not what the other guys do, do the right thing not the easy thing it doesn’t take long

Page 181
https://www.wko.at/Content.Node/branchen/oe/TransportVerkehr/Ladungssicherung_EU-Empfehlung_en.pdf

Rope and dolly knots. :grimacing: moved many a fertiliser load, the premier league started in 1992 you know. :laughing:

Gembo:

The idea of using a drop sider to carry bulk bags of aggregate is like a tipper.In that it rightly puts the emphasis on ‘containment’ to ‘secure’ a load that can’t realistically be ‘secured’ any other way than by containment.

While trying to strap them on a flat or a curtainsider is like using a flat to haul bulk aggregate instead of a tipper.IE it’s the wrong wagon for the job while using a drop sider to haul bulk bags is at least closer to that ideal of a tipper. :bulb:

weeto:
Page 181
https://www.wko.at/Content.Node/branchen/oe/TransportVerkehr/Ladungssicherung_EU-Empfehlung_en.pdf

208 pages of how to secure stuff. No wonder people wanted Brexit…

madmackem:

weeto:
Page 181

208 pages of how to secure stuff. No wonder people wanted Brexit…

To be fair there can never be too much good advice.But the relevant bit is that trying to strap or rope a load of sand etc on a flat ain’t going to work whether it’s wrapped in a bag or not.Which is why ideally we have tipper bodies for the job.In which case a drop sider is the next best thing. :bulb:

Punchy Dan:
I use a tipper net then strap over the bags and net or depending on the product rope the gaps instead .

Always did the same dan , rope between the bags , pull the nets really tight and they ain’t going anywhere . Straps are a waste of time on bulk bags .

rigsby:

Punchy Dan:

Always did the same dan , rope between the bags , pull the nets really tight and they ain’t going anywhere . Straps are a waste of time on bulk bags .

I hope you made more effort than your colege that lost his load of blocks by the duke of York , says the man who lost the granite on chapel roundabout !

It wasn’t his fault dan , the sprinter cut the corner and hit him head on . Ian’s pride and joy the 2014 flagship in the old colours , total loss .

And again this morning Dave a LD64 :blush: , on its side Duke of York ,these Buxton yee haas !