Building site fork lift driving numpties

I went to a site today and was tipped on the entrance due to space constraints (groundwork being carried out restricting access).
The site was off a minor B road and a fairly narrow road at that. Along the road was a fairly low tree canopy in full leaf.
I happened to ask the forkie if he thought I’d get down the full stretch of B road to re-emerge back on the main drag ‘A’ road.
The bolshy forkie lad’s default response was “There’s much bigger than that gone down there”.
Bare in mind I drive an Artic @ 14’8" and moffet combo, apart from an extra few feet with a W+Drag what else would be MUCH bigger accessing a residential building site?
Starting to get miffed with forklift drivers on crappy building sites who clearly don’t have a clue regarding space awareness.
Perhaps he was just a buerk.
I DID get down the road, by the way. After having brought down quite a lot of branches and gingerly pootling down a 2 mile stretch of ■■■■■■ B road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said you’d get down,you got down…I don’t see the issue.

xichrisxi:
He said you’d get down,you got down…I don’t see the issue.

The issue was his attitude really…cocky bugger. Gave me the hump.

hiabman:

Sounds like you made his day, he got to you! :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

hiabman:

Sounds like you made his day, he got to you! :wink:

Spot on [emoji3]

They don’t live in the area, commute in a small car or come by bus and have absolutely no idea. It’s not the first time you’ve had this problem as your post said. Google earth and ask a local or go back the way you came. We’ve all been there mate, good luck.

If in doubt, check on foot. Or reverse in. Never, ever , ever rely on a forklift driver for advice.
(There’s a reason he drives a forklift… :grimacing: :grimacing: )

Farmers will say the same when lime spreading… they want you to back an artic off a cart track through a 5ft wide gate

the nodding donkey:
If in doubt, check on foot. Or reverse in. Never, ever , ever rely on a forklift driver for advice.

there sure is a reason they drive a forklift have you seen the money they get ? not to mention they only end up doing 8 hour shifts, i wonder who are the thick guys ? guys who drive trucks or a simple fork lift ?

desypete:

the nodding donkey:

there sure is a reason they drive a forklift have you seen the money they get ? not to mention they only end up doing 8 hour shifts, i wonder who are the thick guys ? guys who drive trucks or a simple fork lift ?

You’re right Pete, £120+ for 8 hours “work”… Terrible money :unamused:

You’re mixing up being a forklift driver at a warehouse, and and a telehandler driver that keeps a building site ticking over everyday. Without whom the site stops…

To be fair he probably didn’t speak any English. He had been taught a handful of phrases in the coach on the way over. The site agent had then taught him that “There’s much bigger than that gone down there”. Was the English translation of “I’m terribly sorry, I’m from Gdansk and I don’t know the area at all. I suggest you try google maps, walk it or reverse in. Then get down the job centre shapish because I’m on twelve quid an hour. For that is the helpful advice your truck driving colleagues would offer, should you venture to ask.”

desypete:

the nodding donkey:

I would take that opinion on board, if it wasn’t just another anti driver rant by someone to thick to obtain a driver cpc…

hiabman:
I happened to ask the forkie if he thought I’d get down the full stretch of B road to re-emerge back on the main drag ‘A’ road.

Here’s the lesson… Forkies don’t think like lorry drivers ( Unless they’re ex lorry drivers, perhaps!! ) in the same way that cyclists don’t think like car drivers.

The only person to ask would have been another lorry driver, because low bridges and trees are part of their world, something that a forkie wouldn’t even think about!

I once asked an old boy in rural Norfolk for directions… his directions were spot on but he neglected to mention the low bridge on route, but why would he? Luckily, I seen a nice little side road I could back down to go back the other way!

Now I always ask the question “Any low bridges or trees along that route” then you see the vacant look in their eyes, as they hadn’t even thought about that… and if they do know about a bridge, you can bet your life they won’t know what height it is!! Lol :smiley:

If in doubt go back out the same way you came in… although with Truck specific sat navs and bridge height maps, I find there’s rarely much need to ask people for directions these days!!

Moffett the stuff in from a safe place. Might take a while though, so you might have a sore back from the bouncy ride. Once had to stop half a mile from a (one house) site because of pinch-points, overgrown bushes etc. But then you may have the issue of 3m plaster-board being too wide for some lanes, oh the fun of it all. Make a judgement call to the office and tell them it’s too narrow, send some 7.5 curtainsiders instead.
Options, options.
I quite like the chocolate one. But I could be digressing now…