Builders' merchant with a HGV vehicle

A mate of mine runs a buidlers’ merchants business and they have a HGV vehicle for deliveries. Their new vehicle has a digi tacho fitted and their driver has done his CPC and got both digi cards and the new cpc card. However, he isn’t sure about what other legal responsibilities he has as the business owner. He is aware that the card needs to be downloaded at least every 28 days. What equipment does he need to download this onto? I suppose he also needs equipment to download what’s on the digi tachograph machine itself. Any advice or could you direct me to where I can get some advice and pass it onto him?

He needs a device to download data from the card and the VU (vehicle unit). I use one of these, a Digidown Plus. They are about £200.

Other makes are available, they are much of a muchness.

Then he needs to upload the data from there to a PC which is installed with tacho analysis software, I use Tachomaster tachomaster.co.uk/?_cl=1, I think it’s £1 per driver per week and £1.50 per vehicle per month.

That’s what I do anyway,others may have variations but that’s the general gist of it.

Harry Monk:
Then he needs to upload the data from there to a PC which is installed with tacho analysis software, I use Tachomaster tachomaster.co.uk/?_cl=1, I think it’s £1 per driver per week and £1.50 per vehicle per month.

No he doesn’t! There’s no requirement to actually pay to have the data analysed, all that is required by law is that you download it and store it in a recognised form so that it can be inspected by DVSA

Been looking at options for digital tacho download software myself just for the sake of having it and being able to have a scan of my own card but can’t find any free options.
The best I could find was this where you can download and store your data, analyse etc. for a one off price.

tachodisc.co.uk/tachograph-p … tcher-lite

This might suit his needs ?

Denis F:
No he doesn’t! There’s no requirement to actually pay to have the data analysed, all that is required by law is that you download it and store it in a recognised form so that it can be inspected by DVSA

Strictly speaking that’s true, although when I had my VOSA site visit they asked me what I did about the analysis side of things and made it pretty clear that they expected analysis to be done. Other traffic areas may take a more lenient approach but for the sake of the £6-odd quid a month it costs I’d sooner give them no reason to put me on their radar.

Kaistar, you can use digiConnect (from tachosys.com) which is free and with a cheap smartcard reader you can pull data off the card. then use readesm for very basic “analysis”… those are the free options. more choices if you’re willing to pay but no need to spend if you just wanna have a look see

FlyByNight:
Kaistar, you can use digiConnect (from tachosys.com) which is free and with a cheap smartcard reader you can pull data off the card. then use readesm for very basic “analysis”… those are the free options. more choices if you’re willing to pay but no need to spend if you just wanna have a look see

Already have an omnikey card reader so it’s just the software I’m looking for so will have a look at that, thanks :slight_smile:

(Sorry for the mini thread hi-jack Ader1)