Buffalo hauliers on m/e

My dad is the the ‘old guy’ with the Volvo, he used to drive for Recliffe Roadways, he was one of the first to do the Middle East trips (with ice cream) along with Eric Calcraft and John Friswell. I remember Brent Savage he was mentioned in some-ones post. My dad also originally worked for Bradleys in Old Clipstone (where I was born in one of Bradleys cottages) then he went to J. Clarke haulage in New Ollerton until it changed it’s name to NCC (National Carbonising Company) then it changed it’s name again to Rushcliffe Fuels. Anyone remember Brian Brown otherwise know as BP. My first memories are of when I was quite young going to Killamarsh power station in my dads tanker. I remember going out in the lorry with him calling at Broughton Lodge cafe (Pats cafe) and Lavenders Blue which was 2 caravans in a layby somewhere. I have a couple of photos somewhere, I will find them and put them on. My dad’s brother was also a lorry driver but was killed in a lorry accident in 1958 whilst working for Bradleys.

I have been thinking for ages who used to have a black Volvo N12 from the Nottingham area who took chocolate down to the Middle East. In 1980 I remember talking to the driver at the Mocamp once and now Redcliffe rings a bell. Does anybody remember if they also had a black N12 or remember seeing a black N12 pulling a fridge doing middle east work from the Nottingham area.

Here is your Buffalo Merc again with Keith Simmo (Blue)

Roscoe12:
My dad is the the ‘old guy’ with the Volvo, he used to drive for Recliffe Roadways, he was one of the first to do the Middle East trips (with ice cream) along with Eric Calcraft and John Friswell. I remember Brent Savage he was mentioned in some-ones post. My dad also originally worked for Bradleys in Old Clipstone (where I was born in one of Bradleys cottages) then he went to J. Clarke haulage in New Ollerton until it changed it’s name to NCC (National Carbonising Company) then it changed it’s name again to Rushcliffe Fuels. Anyone remember Brian Brown otherwise know as BP. My first memories are of when I was quite young going to Killamarsh power station in my dads tanker. I remember going out in the lorry with him calling at Broughton Lodge cafe (Pats cafe) and Lavenders Blue which was 2 caravans in a layby somewhere. I have a couple of photos somewhere, I will find them and put them on. My dad’s brother was also a lorry driver but was killed in a lorry accident in 1958 whilst working for Bradleys.

Yes, I am Brian Brown’s daughter (BP), unfortunately he passed away this time last year, he would always talk about his stories and adventures on the pipeline and in redcliffe, and just lorrying in general. Thanks for posting :slight_smile:

This is a picture of Brian Brown also known as BP while he was working for thomson and jewitt

I`m not the sharpest tool in the box and have again proved it to myself , i was expecting to see pictures of Leyland Buffaloes broken down all over the m/e but surely no one was daft enough to take 1 over … or were they?

ramone:
I`m not the sharpest tool in the box and have again proved it to myself , i was expecting to see pictures of Leyland Buffaloes broken down all over the m/e but surely no one was daft enough to take 1 over … or were they?

Bet some one did! :laughing: :laughing: bit chalk and cheese the buffaloes, we had some that went like the clappers and didn’t give any trouble, most of them couldn’t get past the workshop door. I personally think if you gave them a real good thrashing they seemed to be more reliable. When they were going right they would really fly.

Wheel Nut:

Very rare Merc there…they were the first of the V10 engines,fitted under the old cab,which was tilting for the first time. Very few of these were imported as the New Generation came a year or two later.

Riverstick:

Wheel Nut:

Very rare Merc there…they were the first of the V10 engines,fitted under the old cab,which was tilting for the first time. Very few of these were imported as the New Generation came a year or two later.

That looks like it’s RHD to me, if so it must be nearly unique. The handful that were sold in the UK were mainly, I thought all, LHD. The only operator with any number of them over here was FB Atkins, but theirs were left hookers.

According to Mercedes’ website, the V10, with its tilt cab, was launched in Europe in 1969. Maybe they should have pushed the model harder in GB, but they seemed content to acquire a reputation for gutless wagons with the 1418. Scania did better by offering the LB140 in RHD, alongside their smaller-engined vehicles. Lots of posts on the forum slate the Scania LB80 for being underpowered at 32 tons but, by giving British operators the choice, their reputation was not tarnished by it.

Do any of you remember Buffalo hauliers on the M/e ,i have some photos from my good friend who used to own them.

Redcliffe Roadways ■■ anyone remember

toureg123:
Redcliffe Roadways ■■ anyone remember.

Sure do.I had a mate I was in the army with was working for them.
Not sure if he was an o/d or not,name was Ted Beardsley.

oh yes i remember redcliffe alright. as a sutton in ashfield lad born and bred.

i started from school with them in the yard. that n12 was bought from russel ross. a haulier and dealer who also rebuilt atkinsons with gardner engines in them.

would love to see some of the photos of the rebuilds (trucker ash ?)

used to have a big workshop at the back of his massive house in omberley ave. skegby

redcliffes wheree based in a yard with a narrow lane between 2 houses. still in use as a haulage yard but with strict restrictions on movements.

The N12 was chosen after seeing one at the Paris Motor show i think in 79 it was a must have moment .Some more photos of internal work.

just made a phone call. the n12 was sold back to rjr comercials (russel ross) who had moved to a town called new houghton near mansfileld/shirebrook area. after its stint with redcliffe. it was then exported. however the person who bought it paid with a duff cheque. the truck never to be seen again. how things change from the 80’s to present day eh. :unamused: :unamused:

Hi,
Here is a link on toprun with the photos supplied by Ed.
toprun.ch/truck/2008-01/buf/

I like so much the N12 in the desert and the F89 6x4 look so massive!

i should rework the photos to make it less red…

Ferdy

TransOrient - The Middle-East Run book ! toprun.ch/truck/transorient.html