Brs

Does anybody have any info about the above, i they like ex Army drivers, pay is average, they have been around since 1940, Not to sure to bother waste my time and fuel, to get more lies.

Thanks for any info. :wink:

Thought they vanished years ago?.

I thought they were a name from the past

if by BRS you mean British Road Services, they closed up years and years ago. Eventually what was left of them turned into Lynx.

BRS changed to Excel back in the 80`s, closed down most general haulage for contract work,they are now i think part of or are DHL

BRS were a part of the NFC(National Freight Consortium)
Which included Pickords and other large companies
When the evil ■■■■■ Thatcher started to ■■■■ and pillage the country’s assets and flog everything off at a cheap price so her and her ilk could make vast amounts of money
BRS became Exel Logistics
The BRS name continued under BRS truck rental and the name and brand is owned by Volvo Trucks UK who took over the business
And that’s correct DHL took over Exel Logistics and where I work they unfortunately run our distribution which is a big joke
They come in at a stupid rate to get the work then put “graduates” in charge to run the job and they wouldn’t know a lorry from a cabbage how they stop in business is beyond me

Long Gone, a bygone era,

conjures up images of roped & sheeted 8 wheelers and Bristol artics with tandem Ali trailers

also stands for : Before Ratchet Straps yep - sums it up!

I’m sure BRS the rental company also supply drivers as well as trucks. Maybe this is what the OP means.

Used to use BRS rental out of Trafford Park a few years back, owned by Volvo/Renault now. They did supply drivers to B&Q back in the day, but not used them for ages now so don’t know if they still do. Still contract and rental trucks though.

Ye B&q contract work they do, i think i will give a miss b&q only seem to employ halfwits themselves, don,t fancy having that done shopping there, and what,s to say how long the contract is for Brs would lie been there before in the nineties with Cabmont my first job moved out my area.

Thanks for the reply,s Chaps

BRS Car delivery , carried on well in to the 90’s known then as BRS Automotive.

BRS never turned into Lynx or Exel all seperate companies under the nfc banner the name and the truck hire was sold to Volvo years ago BRS did have an in house agency iifc was called task force or similar

gazsa401:
When the evil ■■■■■ Thatcher started to ■■■■ and pillage the country’s assets and flog everything off at a cheap price so her and her ilk could make vast amounts of money
The BRS name continued under BRS truck rental and the name and brand is owned by Volvo Trucks UK who took over the business
And that’s correct DHL took over Exel Logistics and where I work they unfortunately run our distribution which is a big joke
They come in at a stupid rate to get the work then put “graduates” in charge to run the job and they wouldn’t know a lorry from a cabbage how they stop in business is beyond me

You forgot to mention of course that it was, to a large extent, employee-owned; and those employees, many of them drivers and warehousemen, became shareholders, and a lot of them made a tidy penny.

Worth pointing out as well that BRS used to do exactly what DHL do now, and in doing so put a lot of smaller hauliers out of business.

My Father worked for BRS in Watford. He failed his HGV a few times. BRS took him on as a shunter. They put him through his class 1 then set him onto the (proper - not draw bars) wagon and drags for the Kellogg’s contract. I remember going to the yard as a boy. I loved it and that started my lorry interest. Couldn’t get enough of it. Even back then a young teen on a transport yard was allowed. I remember Pickfords had some wagons at the same Watford yard. My old man used to kip in the yard in a tird brown Bedford camper van.

After BRS melted away he left for Lockwoods (not Lockwood) in lincs on flats and tauts, roping and sheeting the sugar beet etc. Anther firm that used to not bat an eyelid at keen youngsters milking around the yards. Most drivers including the TMs boy were down there. Lockwoods was based on the old WW2 bomber command airfield at Bardney in lincs. I sent many a Sunday afternoon with my Mum and young sister out on a dispersal pan on that airfield helping my Dad refuel his F12 and pretending to rope and sheet. If I didn’t come home smelling of diesel at age 12 like my Dad, I didn’t feel like a man :laughing:

BRS “parcels” certainly did become part of Lynx. Lynx was the culmination of all the various parcel distribution under the NFC banner.
BRS parcels + NCL, (also Atlas Express I think) I had several friends who worked for BRS parcels in Low Moor Bradford and they were transferred to Lynx at Pudsey. In the same way many of my ex colleagues at NCL Valley Rd were also transferred there.
I seem to also remember that Lynx was formed initially from Hanson Parcels, certainly they took over their yard at Pudsey/Stanningley
What happened after Lynx I have no idea .

Sidevalve:

gazsa401:

You forgot to mention of course that it was, to a large extent, employee-owned; and those employees, many of them drivers and warehousemen, became shareholders, and a lot of them made a tidy penny.

Worth pointing out as well that BRS used to do exactly what DHL do now, and in doing so put a lot of smaller hauliers out of business.

BRS was not in any way part employee owned.
Employees where only offered discounted shares in the NFC prior to “floating” on the stock market and de-nationalisation,when the shares took off employees then sold their shares,some making a great “killing”
I was only a struggling young man back then,with a mortgage and two kids and could not afford to buy as every penny was accounted for.

lolipop:

Sidevalve:

gazsa401:

BRS was not in any way part employee owned.
Employees where only offered discounted shares in the NFC prior to “floating” on the stock market and de-nationalisation,when the shares took off employees then sold their shares,some making a great “killing”
I was only a struggling young man back then,with a mortgage and two kids and could not afford to buy as every penny was accounted for.

You’ve just contradicted yourself mate.If employees buy shares in the company, then by definition they own a part of it.

The rest of it is exactly what I said.

and they got the shares at the floatation price plus a good discount . One of my old mangers at one of the last actuall BRS (94ish) depots was spending around ÂŁ100 pw on shares and the discounted price they got at the time of floatation was pennies

OK I have let this roll for a while so here is the history as far as I remember!
national Freight Corporation was made up of over 50 companies - Pickfords Removals and Heavy Haulage, BRS all regions, BRS Parcels, BEC (British Express Carriers), National Carriers and many others.
National Carriers started to decline with the reduction of rail borne parcels, so set up a contract division - National Carriers Contract Services - NCCS.
This was broadly in competition to BRS Contracts.
In the early 80s it was clear National Freight was to be one of the first, if not the first company to be sold by the Thatcher government.
A group of senior directors met, and put a pitch to buy the company, backed by employee money who would be able to buy shares.
Yes employees could bid for an initial tranche of discounted shares, which could (as the offer was oversubscribed was) reduced for larger applications.
Here’s the catch. There was little history of this kind of sell off, so the money invested could have been lost. Advice I was given - invest as much as you can afford to lose.
But history points to the success.
Anyway, changes soon followed - overnight all green BRS Parcels vehicles were painted black, and branded Lynx.
NCCS was rebranded overnight to Exel Logistics (no c in Exel).
Most NFC companies operated from the same sites, eventually BRS was rebranded Exel, except where contracts did not supply drivers. This contractual business along with Truck Rental was sold along with the BRS brand to Volvo.
This led to a rationalisation of depots.
Exel became the dominant and holding company name, which merged with MSAS (McGregor Cory), selling off Pickfords at the time.
Exel were now a world player, and bought Tibbett And Britten.
Shortly after following a buying battle with UPS, DHL bought Exel.
In UK Exel Supply Chain was c10x bigger than DHL Supply Chain, so most former
Exel sites remain today.