Browns of stoke

Hi
Anyone got any useful info on this company? ie attitudes towards the drivers etc. They are after drivers, but had a bad reputation 20 years ago just wondered if things had changed.
Cheers Phil

Two of my good friends are both ex.browns drivers , one was a tramper the other a day man , both are unanimous in saying that browns is one of the best jobs in stoke , chris who isn’t a potteries native couldn’t believe the horrendous reputation browns once had .over the last couple of years the kit seems to of improved greatly , but I know they lost all there ‘cream’ johnsons work , so not sure … Give em a go , certainly look a professional outfit , is there any firm in stoke the has a good attitude towards drivers?

Not the best but certainly not the worst.
They have a reputation locally that is largely undeserved nowadays, David Brown is guiding the company in the right direction but it’s still a really old-fashioned firm that hasn’t looked outside the window in many a year.

Second-hand trucks, but they’re pretty decent spec for tramping, pay is reasonable and hours are rarely short, but they don’t run you ragged, just normal general haulage.

Some knobs in the office but you can put them in their place if you feel justified. A few drivers have said some harsh words to the TM but next day is a new day and no hard feelings from either side.

Never expect to be going home until you’re told, even when returning to the yard after 10/12 hours there could be local customers that need a collection.

You could always try Tyler if needs be, he’s not a bad bloke although straight to the point most of the time. Not the best kit or money but neither was it the worst.

Lifted from their vacancies page;

Salary: £9.50 p/h to £14.50 p/h Plus Overtime, Plus £20.00 per week bonus

Allowances: £25.00 Night Out, £18.00 Parking, £20.00 p/w ADR, £20.00 p/w Performance Bonus, Free Driver CPC Training

Job Type: Permanent and Full Time

Description:

Browns Distribution are urgently seeking experienced and professional drivers to join our team.

We currently have full time positions on Days, including nights out and Tramping with excellent rates of pay on-top of Allowances, Premiums and a weekly Bonus.

We require:

Day Drivers
Groupage Drivers
Day Drivers with Nights Out
Trampers

Browns offer Free Driver CPC Training to all of our employees at our very own training centre.

I did a small stretch for warburtons on his sca work , top money , trucks crap . trailers worse , and your worked like an absolute dog …always after drivers . E&E currently advertising , always been a good payer . There’s plenty about , but as I said previously I don’t believe there s many many good firms to work for in stoke .

richie22:
I did a small stretch for warburtons on his sca work , top money , trucks crap . trailers worse , and your worked like an absolute dog …always after drivers . E&E currently advertising , always been a good payer . There’s plenty about , but as I said previously I don’t believe there s many many good firms to work for in stoke .

I think ‘Jimmy Warbo’ has always had the kind of reputation that the money is there but you will work for it. Lovatt used to advertise often but I think he had a slight problem with the VAT man and I’m not sure whether the business didn’t change hands. The only work really worth doing in Stoke is the logistics type stuff with Sainsburys, FedEx and so on. Screwfix is reputed to be the best job going in the area. Crewe is another option for the OP - Davis is always recruiting although that’s not surprising.

There’s a firm called Bocm Paul’s recruiting and Culina staffford which is a bit of a drive from Stoke .

Norbert Dentresangle Campbell Road DC have vacancies for the M&S contract

Sparkyphil:
Hi
Anyone got any useful info on this company? ie attitudes towards the drivers etc. They are after drivers, but had a bad reputation 20 years ago just wondered if things had changed.
Cheers Phil

What sort of work are you after Phil?

Rentadent:

Sparkyphil:
Hi
Cheers Phil

What sort of work are you after Phil?

I am looking for a small firm doing general haulage with nights out, dont fancy the supermarket type of work(I am a bit old fashioned), I have been doing Bougheys at Wardle via an agency but the money is not that good and I could do with something perm.
Cheers Phil

hiya a chap i used to hang around with years ago has worked for browns over 15 years. he was tramping with sheds out of Rollinsons Nantwich then he was on the trusses for ages now he only does 3 days a i think. he,s over 70 and just does if and when. the job must be ok as i know he,s not one for been messed around. he did a spell on Comarts in the early 70,s.
John

I did a couple of days on Browns via an agency when I first retired 11 years ago, but with the crap ERF’s he was running at the time I refused to do any more.
I think the tackle is better these days, but I’ve got the best job in Stoke!

Try FedEx.

Does anyone know the best way to get on at sainsbury ’ s in Stoke? Is it only through agency or right place right time scenerio? I currently do general haulage for a firm in Buxton but am getting slightly fed up of 20+ drops and collections on class 1, having to constantly chase your tail each day. Cheers for any responses.

ginge184:
Does anyone know the best way to get on at sainsbury ’ s in Stoke? Is it only through agency or right place right time scenerio? I currently do general haulage for a firm in Buxton but am getting slightly fed up of 20+ drops and collections on class 1, having to constantly chase your tail each day. Cheers for any responses.

In via agency I’m afraid fella.
Although I hear bocm Paul’s are advertising for driver on the marks and spencer contract they run out of Campbell road,Stoke.