broken

it was back to work on wednesday after 2 weeks off :cry: .

whilst going about my round i noticed that the trucks power steering was playing up (went stiff when turning right). anyway gets back to the yard and sticks it in the defect book.

next day i get in and the volvo fitter has written in the book no fault found, so i get my truck and off i go. imagine the shock i got when i get to sankys corner roundabout in burntwood onlt for the whole thing to stiffen up again which resulted in me having to go up the curb to get round the [zb] thing. yet again after this incident the thing starts driving alright.

gets back to the yard tells the manager who gets it down to volvo for a thorugh check over.anyway it appears that the steering rack is broken :open_mouth: .
surley for this to have happened someone must have hit a kerb or something really hard and not mentioned it to anyone.the truck in question is a 03 plate fm9.

does the steering rack often just break on its own :exclamation: :exclamation:

jon

I would imagine, only in very rare occasions jonboy, sounds as if someone kerbed it pretty hard! I have had a power streeing pump fail, on a roundabout and as a result hit the kerb, didn’t break the rack but scared the living daylights out of me :open_mouth:

John

JonBoy my missus reckons that if it goes stiff on right hand turns, could i please get lots of work that means turning right most of the day. :laughing: :laughing:
drove a tipper once and was just entering the yard when the steering locked up
good job the boss was standing there cos i nearly ended his life…and the office…straight in the workshop for a new pump…one never knows when its going to happen…but it sure does frighten ya…
have a nice day

Does that Volvo use rack and pinion steering?? The test in Commecial Motor show the FH16 has reciculating ball steering. I’d be surprised if that isn’t common across the entire range.

FWIW, I’ve never heard of a truck that uses rack and pinion steering.

When I worked for a local bus company it was common to have to defect buses due to low oil levels, they never seemed to get filled until you could hear the steering requesting it.
I’ve also had a DAF 45 give me problems following a service, the gear box was a total pig, putting TWO bottles of oil in reservoir cured it. Some zb service that.
IMHO jonboy your truck has taken a large whack to it’s front wheel.

I got a truck back form having a new clutch done by Scania in Lincoln, got to Crawley and the prop shaft fell off , apparently it had the bolts in but they hadnt been tightened!!!.

Also got one back from the same place once an it didnt register on the dipstick the following morning for engine oil, needless to say the tm had very harsh words to say to them.

JB it hasnt been in the garage recently has it?, it could be they forgot to do something up!!!..

JB it hasnt been in the garage recently has it?, it could be they forgot to do something up!!!..

it was in for its 6 weekly when i was off work :unamused: .suprising that ain’t it :cry:

jon