Broken VAIN

Dids:
I was thinking about this after seeing your pics, and this is no disrespect to your saturday driver in any way. Out of everyone I know that drives there are only 2 blokes I would trust to drive my own motor if I had one.

Yeah i know where yr coming from mate. Its not ideal and poor Jerry does have a lot of pressure on him whilst hes takin charge of it cos i’m so particular about it. On the way home he did say that as much as he enjoys driving something as highly regarded as Mr.Vain he says that sometimes the pressure does take the shine out of the job. I think that when i replace Mr.Vain with what i have in mind i will be the only pilot (my brother may be the only exception).

Plans of my next project are underway! :open_mouth: :wink: (Its gonna be a while thou. ) Only 2 things i can tell you are that it will be a Scania and it will be red.

Sorry for your sad loss rob,(time and earnings), i bet Mr Vain nearly cried

how did the light bar get damaged? (as you may guess im not technically minded) and what is the third pic about? what are we looking at there?

Sorry to read about your troubles, if there is nething i can do, u know how to get in touch.

Giblsa:
Sorry for your sad loss rob,(time and earnings), i bet Mr Vain nearly cried

how did the light bar get damaged? (as you may guess im not technically minded) and what is the third pic about? what are we looking at there?

The third pic is where the front cab shock snapped from the force of the tyre going off.

Estimated costs so far, cab shock £73, rose joint £45, wheel£345, tyre£270, wheel bearing £370, abs sensor £95. Thats without anything that hasn’t been discovered upon stripping out. Not sure what other brake parts are needed yet or if it will need a stub axle. Light bar was damaged by underlift bar on wrecker. Gutted.

Fingers crossed for you Rob

a bit over a grand then? (at the moment) :open_mouth:

lets just hope there is no more damage then mate. :frowning:

good luck

removed-i’ll PM you instead…hot potatoe.

The repairs neccessary are a fairly easy task Rob, even if you do need a stub axle. the beauty of scania’s is that they’re easy to work on. Alot of the time there’s no play in a wheel bearing even when it’s knackered and the only way to tell is to jack the wheel up and spin it, you can’t do this everyday so i wouldn’t beat yourself up about it.

The bearing on your motor is a two piece affair ( looks like a single piece but if i remember rightly they’re actually two seperate bearings) They take alot of getting out and in but nothing that a decent press can’t sort out. Shouldn’t need a hub, i’ve not come across one that didnt survive yet. As for the cab shock etc, again nice and easy to do. 45 minutes to an hour i’d say realistically. The only bit that may take time is getting the disc off of the hub if need be, they don’t always come off in one piece unfortunately however if it’s on drums your laughing.

Not sure how the lightbar was bent though, did it happen whilst the lorry was being hooked up or when it was travelling■■? It can be a real struggle to lift stuff with low bumpers and lightbars etc. I love my lowline maxi reach boom though, haven’t caught anything with it .Yet. Fingers crossed, touch wood! lol!

Thanks for that mate. Bar was bent by underlift when hitching up. Not sure what to think about that. They have it stripped out and it looks like the stub axle is ok. Need a wheel! Don’t know if they have one.

Ouch! It’s such a shame to see a lovingly cared for lorry broken & bust. :cry:

At least it didn’t catch fire though and is a fairly simple (but quite expensive) repair :smiley:

Youre not alone Rob…I had a bit of your luck this morning.
Bowling up the A140 solo on the way to M&K for a service I hear a horrible noise and notice my nearside skirt has come adrift and its being pulled along by the wires for the side marker lights… by the time ive stopped its shot off into the verge…one of the bars that the hooks lock onto has broken away.
Paints mullered side lights in bits stainless steel rubbing strip and badge are scratched to bits :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
not as dear as yours mate but around about 600 quid to put it right :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
didnt have the heart to take a picture i was to busy crying :frowning:

Ah well chin up working this week for nothing now :frowning:

lets hope mr vain gets back onmt he road soon

we all miss him :smiley:

Sorry to hear about your troubles Rob.
Hope you and Mr Vain get back on the road very soon

Blissy:
Youre not alone Rob…I had a bit of your luck this morning.
Bowling up the A140 solo on the way to M&K for a service I hear a horrible noise and notice my nearside skirt has come adrift and its being pulled along by the wires for the side marker lights… by the time ive stopped its shot off into the verge…one of the bars that the hooks lock onto has broken away.
Paints mullered side lights in bits stainless steel rubbing strip and badge are scratched to bits :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
not as dear as yours mate but around about 600 quid to put it right :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
didnt have the heart to take a picture i was to busy crying :frowning:

Ah well chin up working this week for nothing now :frowning:

Oh mate! I’m sorry about that. We pull for hauliers less than half a mile apart and we’ve both had a crap start to the week. :cry:

ere rob, do bartrums still have the witch on the side of the trailers?

yella:
ere rob, do bartrums still have the witch on the side of the trailers?

No mate they don’t. I did hear a tale about when they put the witches on the side it brought the company nothing but bad luck. Thus why it was dropped. It may not be true but sounds feesable.

that’s interesting…wonder if it’s true?

Unlucky Rob,hope you get rolling soon.

Happily Mr.Vain returned to the road this mornig, still sporting a bent light bar. So after several hours in the workshop it had several hundred pounds worth of parts fitted
New wheel
tyre
brake pipe
ABS sensor
wheel bearing
dust cap
front cab shock
air bag
rose joint
cab mount bushes
various other brake parts and sundries

Just got to get Yogi to work his magic on the bar.
Would anyone like to guess the recovery bill?
Colchester to eye, 7 hours. Out of hours. ?

Lastly, good to see Lug 84 at Rugby truckstop this afternoon.

MR VAIN:
Happily Mr.Vain returned to the road this mornig, still sporting a bent light bar. So after several hours in the workshop it had several hundred pounds worth of parts fitted
New wheel
tyre
brake pipe
ABS sensor
wheel bearing
dust cap
front cab shock
air bag
rose joint
cab mount bushes
various other brake parts and sundries

Just got to get Yogi to work his magic on the bar.
Would anyone like to guess the recovery bill?
Colchester to eye, 7 hours. Out of hours. ?

Lastly, good to see Lug 84 at Rugby truckstop this afternoon.

am guessing somewhere around the 600 + mark

1200 ? wheel an tyre r a few quid straight away !