Broken Tachograph Card

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing. My tachograph card has developed hairline cracks across the top which has severely weakened the card and now I’m a bit worried it may totally crack off.

I’ve looked into ordering a replacement but it says I have to send my current card in with my application? I don’t see why it can’t be sent in once the replacement has arrived, I don’t fancy sending it in and driving on printouts for up to 15 days. Also wouldn’t be ideal if it took longer than 15 days.

If I send it in without my card they’ll treat it as a lost card?

Has anyone ever had this and replaced your card?

Thanks

Not just a tacho card any card bank card etc,maybe just a reason you have hairline crack in it.Do you put the card when its not in use ie rest days in a slot in your wallet with the edge sticking out and then put it,(out of habit)in your back pocket and sit on it,like I used to,until it dawned on me why most of my cards got damaged.

This is the reason why I don’t keep my card in my wallet or pocket when not in use, I keep it in a key ring card holder and even then it’s kept in my hard shell work bag

Pound to a pinch of snuff if you tick the box saying it’s damaged then don’t send it they’ll simply return your application and ask you to resubmit along with the card.

If you tick the box saying it’s been lost, you’ll also have to enter the date you lost it. I have no idea if this information will get passed to DVSA, but if they did and you were found to have continued using the card after that date it COULD raise suspicions of fraudulent card use. Not for one moment saying this is what would happen, just that the possibility exists.

Personally I’d just run with printouts for a few days.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It’s summertime. Have you got a holiday booked that you could send it off beforehand?
If it’s damaged as opposed to lost, does that save the £19 fee?

stu675:
It’s summertime. Have you got a holiday booked that you could send it off beforehand?

Lost, stolen or damaged makes no difference to the fee. But if the card “malfunctions” replacement is free.

lolipop:
Not just a tacho card any card bank card etc,maybe just a reason you have hairline crack in it.Do you put the card when its not in use ie rest days in a slot in your wallet with the edge sticking out and then put it,(out of habit)in your back pocket and sit on it,like I used to,until it dawned on me why most of my cards got damaged.

Yeah I think that’s the problem mate, maybe i will have to invest in a new card holder or phone case with some sort or card slot. A little annoying lol

Roymondo:
Pound to a pinch of snuff if you tick the box saying it’s damaged then don’t send it they’ll simply return your application and ask you to resubmit along with the card.

If you tick the box saying it’s been lost, you’ll also have to enter the date you lost it. I have no idea if this information will get passed to DVSA, but if they did and you were found to have continued using the card after that date it COULD raise suspicions of fraudulent card use. Not for one moment saying this is what would happen, just that the possibility exists.

Personally I’d just run with printouts for a few days.

The application says if I don’t send the card in it’ll be treated as lost which obviously isn’t ideal, however if you Exchange see below quote

Exchange
Please do not return your digital tachograph card with this application.
When you receive your new card you will also be sent a confirmation
of receipt letter which must be filled in and returned to DVLA together
with the card that is being exchanged.

Maybe I will superglue it and call them to see if I can pay for a replacement and keep it until the new one arrives.

stu675:

I haven’t actually got anything booked as of yet. But was thinking of this. Thanks

Telling them it is faulty is suicide.

Mate of mine did the same, and when he rang them, he was told to send his in. I said to him to tell them that he had lost it, and he paid the £19, and had a replacement within 3 days.

Ken.

Quinny:
Telling them it is faulty is suicide.

Mate of mine did the same, and when he rang them, he was told to send his in. I said to him to tell them that he had lost it, and he paid the £19, and had a replacement within 3 days.

Ken.

I’m not telling them it’s faulty I’m telling them it’s almost snapped. At the end of the day I’m preparing in case it does snap and would like to replace it in advance which they should appreciate.

I don’t want to tell them it’s lost because then I can’t use the card can I… it would be illegal

I just reported as lost and carried on using it till I got the new one, legal or not I didn’t have any trouble. Better than not using a card while you wait for a new one.

I wouldn’t think you likely to get done for it.

You cannot get a replacement “in advance” of a potential failure because you are not permitted to be in possession of more than one valid card (for rather obvious reasons).

elsa Lad:
I just reported as lost and carried on using it till I got the new one, legal or not I didn’t have any trouble. Better than not using a card while you wait for a new one.

I wouldn’t think you likely to get done for it.

I guess it all depends if you get pulled over

Roymondo:
You cannot get a replacement “in advance” of a potential failure because you are not permitted to be in possession of more than one valid card (for rather obvious reasons).

Seems like I’ve be able to. Called them this evening a gentleman took my details and has ordered me a replacement card ‘ free of charge ‘ and it will arrive soon in the post followed by a envelope to send my current card back in.

I explained my situation and he said a replacement is ordered and I will need to send my current one back to them.

Sounds too good to be true.

However if you fail to send your old card back it says online your liable for a potential fine. So it will obviously be sent back as soon as it arrives.

Just hope what he says is correct information

Jakeea:

lolipop:

Yeah I think that’s the problem mate, maybe i will have to invest in a new card holder or phone case with some sort or card slot. A little annoying lol

A standard leather wallet is fine if it has the card slots that are kind of hidden and accessible around the crease of the wallet. My driver cards go in those compartments and my other cards in the visible slots. The other cards tend to get replaced more frequently so never get to the stage of falling apart. Has worked fine for a number of years and my current leather wallet dates to 2004. Wouldn’t expect a card holder case to last as long.

Noremac:

Jakeea:

lolipop:

A standard leather wallet is fine if it has the card slots that are kind of hidden and accessible around the crease of the wallet. My driver cards go in those compartments and my other cards in the visible slots. The other cards tend to get replaced more frequently so never get to the stage of falling apart. Has worked fine for a number of years and my current leather wallet dates to 2004. Wouldn’t expect a card holder case to last as long.

Thanks mate, so you mean the slot behind the card holders I do have this so may try!

Jakeea:

Roymondo:

Seems like I’ve be able to. Called them this evening a gentleman took my details and has ordered me a replacement card ‘ free of charge ‘ and it will arrive soon in the post followed by a envelope to send my current card back in.

I explained my situation and he said a replacement is ordered and I will need to send my current one back to them.

However if you fail to send your old card back it says online your liable for a potential fine. So it will obviously be sent back as soon as it arrives.

Make sure you send your faulty card back by recorded delivery then they cant say they never received it.

shullbit:
Make sure you send your faulty card back by recorded delivery then they cant say they never received it.

Oh, yes they can! All it proves is that an envelope was delivered - it doesn’t say what (if anything) was in it. I daresay thousands of folk have tried this dodge with cheques over the years to delay payments etc. For belt & braces you should get A N Other to witness you putting the card in the envelope, sealing it and handing it to the postperson.

shullbit:

Jakeea:

Roymondo:

Yeah I did plan on doing that, always do when I send stuff to them especially important stuff. Definitely worth the extra expenses