Broadband

Can anyone recommend any good providers? I can’t get fibre optic were i live only broadband , and I can’t get virgin, I don’t know wether it is cheaper to get a package with the tv channels or just get Internet as the tv has free view built in cheers

Have a look at sky.

We pay nothing for broadband, have been with Orange (now EE) so long that i got the free broadband by having a monthly mobile contract over £30, that figure now much reduced (whilst allowance has been increased yearly to well over a thousand any network mobile monthly minutes and all landline calls free) …always always deal with Orange customer services by phone to get the right deal, renew with them BY PHONE when you want to renew/upgrade, you will not get this negotiable contract stuff from an Orange shop nor anywhere else.

when renewing contract if you don’t want or need a fancy new phone get substantial further discount off your contract each and every year.

NOTE…if someone from ‘Orange’ calls or texts you just before your contract is due for renewal trying to get you to renew they are not from Orange but from a phone contract tele-sales con shop and do not have the authority to negotiate deals with you…this probably applies to other networks though.

BB is now longer free for new Orange customers but is still very good value but you have to use them for landline contract as with all the other providers, proved to be a good reliable service for many years, i’m not looking to change.

Freview/Freesat for usual rubbish and connect computer to your telly for streaming alternative stuff, cheap as chips…sky/virgin can go where the sun don’t shine.

Our sky is rubbish, slow speeds and keeps dropping connection so im in the process off swapping to bt.

We have Broadband phone mobile and electric from Utility Warehouse for £80 per month. I think you can pick & mix as to which you have . The people at the call centre are always efficient and helpful . Got to be worth enquiring

We have. Bt broadband and it’s fantastic.

Cheers , I was with virgin before I moved but can’t get the broadband now, ive been looking at Plusnet , talk talk etc , ill only be using it for browsing maybe the odd album/song download etc so I don’t want to be paying top dollar for something I won’t be using

Firstly, do some research into which companies supply your area.
Avoid ‘bundled’ suppliers. These are companies that do not have many customers in your area, so they ‘rent’ the switches from BT. In doing so, your internet speed will be substantially slower than other people. (If neighbours are getting 8 meg, you could be getting 6 meg) The reason is that the switch needs to use your line speed to communicate with the isp as well.
So look for unbundled suppliers in your area. And always ask when phoning for quotes if the service is unbundled.

Secondly, up until recently, I would always recommend BT. But their customer service is shocking. So after doing a lot of research, I switched to Plusnet. I have lost 10meg on my fibre optic, but the customer service is exemplary.

This link will tell you what speeds to expect, and which services are available to you.

And for all information you need, visit thinkbroadband.com/

Go compare…:wink:

Plusnet, i was with Virgin and had a problem they would not fix, as regards disconnecting, there cure was to to cut my speed down.

I went with Plusnet with them knowing the fault, and yes they sorted it, and i have the speed i should of had.
It took 2 visits from Open Reach, and they were very helpful and thorough.

Cannot fault Plusnets customer service, and it also BRITISH based

PM if required

Plusnet is actually part of BT so you do get the advantages of quick setup and, as has been mentioned the customer service (once you get through to them) is excellent. Recently signed up with them in two properties that don’t have an existing line and they were both up & running in 14 days.

BT still supply the best kit, and I haven’t had any great issues with their service but they are more expensive. If you’re only looking for short term broadband then Plusnet offer monthly contracts

The one to avoid is TalkTalk in just about every respect.

The one advantage you do get with BT is that, along with the broadband you get access to BT hotspots for mobile, & they are available just about everywhere (they piggy-back on their customer’s modem’s)

Here, here for PlusNet :sunglasses:

I was with AOL which was hopeless. Now with BT who, when I complained about my broadband being slow. They sent an engineer who put a new connection into my home.
Now got a much better speed.

I’m currently with Plusnet For broadband on FTTC 80/20 , I have always kept my line rental and calls with BT any who basically only re sell BT line rental,are ok as well, I would avoid talk talk and sky as both want your line, so can result in loss of number when you want to leave them as well as it costing you money
There are a lot of smaller isp’s out there who resell BT and other providers broadband and if it’s an uncensored free from nanny state web blocking you want then they are your best bet prices vary and do tend yo be a little higher than the big 6 ISP’s

Out here in the sticks I have Tooway satellite broadband. 20Mps download, 2Mps upload, 16Gb allowance per month for £25. Dish plus Installation and the hardware is around £250 last time I looked. Best part is, no incoming cables needed!
As they say in all the good ads, search online for Tooway or Avonline.
Hope this helps
Paul

Well im with bt never had any problems, but im moving flat soon and i can finally get a sky dish! So im gona treat maself to sky instead of council tele but was thinling about taking their broadband too into the bargain as its cheaper than bt.

Sky broadband, good or bad? And please no moral palava about murdoch i dont give a hoot.

Also i see talktalk has already had a boot here is another one, they are dirty bastarts steer clear. Im no talking about quality of broadband im actually talking about them robbing you, stick a mask on them and call the ■■■■ turpin! Whenever they doorstop me on the street trying to sell me their product i go nuts!!

Was with AOL until “TalkTalk” took over. It soon went down hill.

Left them for BT which has been ok.

TIP If your on a contract with BT and it has expired - or in other words your 12 or 18 months contract has ended - you are on a monthly rolling contract. Phone them up and tell them you want to cancel as you’ve found a better deal. They’ll say ok and refer you to the cancellation department. There they will ask you who has given the better price, but don’t say. Then they’ll offer you a much lower price WITHOUT entering into a new contract. It worked for me and to be fair (and I hate BT) they are very good.

Same works for SKY!

Not trying to high jack the OP - but hope it helps

I was with talk talk, utter rubbish!

Changed to EE=brilliant, and english call centres.

Juddian:
We pay nothing for broadband, have been with Orange (now EE) so long that i got the free broadband by having a monthly mobile contract over £30, that figure now much reduced (whilst allowance has been increased yearly to well over a thousand any network mobile monthly minutes and all landline calls free) …always always deal with Orange customer services by phone to get the right deal, renew with them BY PHONE when you want to renew/upgrade, you will not get this negotiable contract stuff from an Orange shop nor anywhere else.

when renewing contract if you don’t want or need a fancy new phone get substantial further discount off your contract each and every year.

NOTE…if someone from ‘Orange’ calls or texts you just before your contract is due for renewal trying to get you to renew they are not from Orange but from a phone contract tele-sales con shop and do not have the authority to negotiate deals with you…this probably applies to other networks though.

BB is now longer free for new Orange customers but is still very good value but you have to use them for landline contract as with all the other providers, proved to be a good reliable service for many years, i’m not looking to change.

Freview/Freesat for usual rubbish and connect computer to your telly for streaming alternative stuff, cheap as chips…sky/virgin can go where the sun don’t shine.

+1 - BUT … if you do have a problem with Orange their customer services are absolute crap. I have had a few run-ins with them and could fill pages with the tales :imp: But the deals are excellent, and when it finally gets sorted the service itself is great.

I’m a fan of plusnet too, top customer service, and if you want TV it’s now easier than even to get all the satellite channels for a tiny fee with a 3rd party receiver.