Britvic willow lane Huddersfield

Can someone tell me how to get to Sittingbourne please. I breaking out into a cold sweat here at the thought of going somewhere strange and would hate to get lost.

Truckbling:
Can someone tell me how to get to Sittingbourne please. I breaking out into a cold sweat here at the thought of going somewhere strange and would hate to get lost.

Better be more specific as this forum attracts a few trolls who will jump on you for this…

Truckbling:

Why not use the resources available to you to make sure you get somewhere with no problems? :unamused: Would you think a colleague was a ■■■■■ if they asked you for advice getting somewhere?

Finding somewhere yourself having spend half an hour fannying around after a wrong turn etc. isn’t impressing anybody really is it? I take it you have never got lost in your entire career.

Guys, I know I’m new here and probably should consider carefully giving out advice. But if you click Truckingbling’s name, then click Add Foe, then click the submit button, that’s it… you can no longer see his drizzle. Job jobbed, the more people ignore trolls, the better the forum is. He’s just a lonely ■■■■.

Truckbling:

Look for a blue sign saying M1 North (this will change to A1 North) or M6 Northwest follow the road - it’s quite long until you come to another blue sign which says Welcome to Scotland. It’s just there on your right where the bus stop used to be.

dri-diddly-iver:

Truckbling:

Look for a blue sign saying M1 North (this will change to A1 North) or M6 Northwest follow the road - it’s quite long until you come to another blue sign which says Welcome to Scotland. It’s just there on your right where the bus stop used to be.

And if you can’t find the bus stop. Don’t worry pull up and ask the welsh man, standing next to the bus stop.

dri-diddly-iver:

Truckbling:

That might be accurate if I was in the South but alas I’m not. Anyway, run was changed and I ended up going to Bellshill and East Kilbride. Sadly I found both hits straight away, probably because I’d done both drops in the past so no big deal really.

Boomerang Dave:
Guys, I know I’m new here and probably should consider carefully giving out advice. But if you click Truckingbling’s name, then click Add Foe, then click the submit button, that’s it… you can no longer see his drizzle. Job jobbed, the more people ignore trolls, the better the forum is. He’s just a lonely ■■■■.

I’m a nice guy really, I would rather drivers use things like google maps or satnav, possibly even an atlas to find their destinations rather than coming on forums asking very basic questions. I know he coped perfectly well before the internet was invented so why not apply the same logic today?

Truckbling:

Boomerang Dave:

I’m a nice guy really, I would rather drivers use things like google maps or satnav, possibly even an atlas to find their destinations rather than coming on forums asking very basic questions. I know he coped perfectly well before the internet was invented so why not apply the same logic today?

I suppose because it’s here,bit like asking your mate in the yard if you’ve been there and getting the in’s and out’s of the place really.

I dunno why it should bother you,it doesn’t cost anyone to post or read.

What is the harm in asking■■? In my years as a driver I have found places after being given the wrong or old address. I have found New places not even on a map so am quite capable.

this occasion I just thought I’d get a second opinion on the EASIEST way in!

r your directions - follow A1 or M74 and when you get to a white sign saying welcome to England stop there, and stay there :smiling_imp:

Boomerang Dave:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dri-diddly-iver:
What is the harm in asking■■?

Indeed!!!

I can’t read TB’s posts now cos I’ve blocked them, but on an amusing note, he’s that experienced he ignores the fact that a good driver uses every opportunity to plan properly in advance, he’s probably a bit too experienced (i think that’s the right word) to realise that, or is deeply embarrassed at the idea of publicly admitting there are many things he doesn’t know.

It reminds me of a few of things:

I used to work for British Steel at what was called a flat rolled division. We carried either coils up to 25 ton, or de-coiled steel in sheets - usually 5 x 5 ton packs. We often used to carry what was knows as ‘Pickled & Oiled’ steel, basically sheets of descaled steel that were individually coated in very slippery oil. Careful and I mean very careful driving was required.

One day this agency bloke turned up (I’ve nothing against agency drivers!)… and I noticed he had pickled & oiled on, so mentioned to him how slippery it was… he bit my head off telling me he had years of experience driving tankers, didn’t need me to tell him anything etc etc. He pulled out of the yard drove about 50yrds to a T-junction, turned right and threw his load all over the road and pavement, lucky for him there were no injuries or deaths… needless to say he was given his marching orders.

Back before SatNavs and Google Maps & Google Earth, I used to watch out for Fire Stations as a good place for getting local directions, usually because they would have large back yards where you could spin around and they have good local knowledge. I was in Warrington one day and knew I’d be coming up to a station - so drove into the back, see’s this young Fireman and asks “is this Warrington mate?”, to which he replied “Yes”, so I asked “Where do ya want ya steel mate?” Before I had chance to indulge him further with my crap sense of humour - he said “I’ll find out” and legged it through a door.

And just for T’Bling. Again… before all the ‘techie’ - place finding kit. I picked a 40’ box up from Tilbury docks, the delivery address was a postcode in London, tis a small place London and last time I looked, you needed more than just a postcode to find places on a map or a-z. I used my common sense… I asked other drivers at the site canteen and soon found one who’d done the drop. He put me right on it, along with lots of other useful information - including… you’ll be there all day mate. And sure enough I would have been… except I planned to leave the trailer there for them to empty, picked up another skelly and did a couple more short local runs… turning what could have been a crap day into profit for the company.

Good and properly experienced professional drivers are never ashamed to ask for advice or directions, the better they are the more resources they will use to make proper advanced planning. ■■■■■ with nothing to offer other than their ego, spend all of their time blowing wind out of their backsides, being so self inflated that if they don’t - they’ll most likely burst.

Boomerang Dave:

dri-diddly-iver:
What is the harm in asking■■?

Indeed!!!

I can’t read TB’s posts now cos I’ve blocked them, but on an amusing note, he’s that experienced he ignores the fact that a good driver uses every opportunity to plan properly in advance, he’s probably a bit too experienced (i think that’s the right word) to realise that, or is deeply embarrassed at the idea of publicly admitting there are many things he doesn’t know.

It reminds me of a few of things:

I used to work for British Steel at what was called a flat rolled division. We carried either coils up to 25 ton, or de-coiled steel in sheets - usually 5 x 5 ton packs. We often used to carry what was knows as ‘Pickled & Oiled’ steel, basically sheets of descaled steel that were individual coated in very slippery oil. Careful and I mean very careful driving was required.

One day this agency bloke turned up (I’ve nothing against agency drivers!)… and I noticed he had pickled & oiled on, so mentioned to him how slippery it was… he bit my head off telling me he had years of experience driving tankers, didn’t need me to tell him anything etc etc. He pulled out of the yard drove about 50yrds to a T-junction, turned right and threw his load all over the road and pavement, lucky for him there were no injuries or deaths… needless to say he was given his marching orders.

Back before SatNavs and Google Maps & Google Earth, I used to watch out for Fire Stations as a good place for getting local directions, usually because they would have large back yards where you could spin around and they have good local knowledge. I was in Warrington one day and knew I’d be coming up to a station - so drove into the back, see’s this young Fireman and asks “is this Warrington mate?”, to which he replied “Yes”, so I asked “Where do ya want ya steel mate?” Before I had chance to indulge him further with my crap sense of humour - he said “I’ll find out” and legged it through a door.

And just for T’Bling. Again… before all the ‘techie’ - place finding kit. I picked a 40’ box up from Tilbury docks, the delivery address was a postcode in London, tis a small place London and last time I looked, you needed more than just a postcode to find places on a map or a-z. I used my common sense… I asked other drivers at the site canteen and soon found one who’d done the drop. He put me right on it, along with lots of other useful information - including… you’ll be there all day mate. And sure enough I would have been… except I planned to leave the trailer there for them to empty, picked up another skelly and did a couple more short local runs… turning what could have been a crap day into profit for the company.

Good and properly experienced professional drivers are never ashamed to ask for advice or directions, the better they are the more resources they will use to make proper advanced planning. ■■■■■ with nothing to offer other than their ego, spend all of their time blowing wind out of their backsides, being so self inflated that if they don’t they’ll most likely burst.

Cool story.

A good experienced driver doesn’t need to be whinging and panicking about finding just another delivery point. Its our job ffs.

I have very few faults :bulb: , however my total inability to take verbal directions is one of them. I never, ever ask for directions because I’m well aware that I suffer from this handicap. Invariably well meaning folks will ask me if I’ve been to XYZ ltd before, if I make the mistake of admitting I haven’t they’ll then launch into a detailed description of how to get there. Thing is, about 2 seconds in the voice in my head goes “mmmm donuts” or “mmmmm nice ■■■■■”.

I always thank them profusely as they’ve gone out of their way to help me and for that I’m grateful, but tbh they might as well spoken about the early years of the industrial revolution for all the notice I was paying.

Asking directions once i was greeted with the reply ‘I used to drive trucks you know’ which then lead into a lengthy life story of life back on the road in the 50’s/60’s when drivers used to have to sleep on engine blocks, no power steering, having to eat a limb to survive on Shap etc. Although educational it took at least 10 minutes and in the end he didn’t know where the place was!!

Just glad theres a forum like this now when if I’m struggling I can start a thread and ask for some tips.

Truckbling:
A good experienced driver doesn’t need to be whinging and panicking about finding just another delivery point. Its our job ffs.

To be fair I don’t see anyone panicking and only one whinging :grimacing:

Not whinging, just making a valid point. Certainly touched a few nerves here.

Dipper_Dave:
Asking directions once i was greeted with the reply ‘I used to drive trucks you know’ which then lead into a lengthy life story of life back on the road in the 50’s/60’s when drivers used to have to sleep on engine blocks, no power steering, having to eat a limb to survive on Shap etc. Although educational it took at least 10 minutes and in the end he didn’t know where the place was!!

Just glad theres a forum like this now when if I’m struggling I can start a thread and ask for some tips.

I must have asked the same bloke as you!
Did he have a black dog and a stick?
:laughing: