British road Services

At my age of 70 I’m surprised that so many guys can recall their days at BRS.Whenawarra a lad I worked for a time at Nottingham(KE)and Newark(KH).Apart from the run of the mill stuff and the occasional Bristol punishment lorry and Ford D series we had some Scania 110 and Scammell Crusaders.

You was spoiled, gidders!

Retired Old ■■■■:
I think the Albions replaced the Austin/BMC motors, didn’t they, leylandlover? Were they Clydesdales with the 350 engine, or Chieftains with the old Albion 4-potter?

ross depot austins all in a row!

26228399721_b0050e688f_z.jpg

ross on wye depot

wideboybob:

Retired Old ■■■■:
I think the Albions replaced the Austin/BMC motors, didn’t they, leylandlover? Were they Clydesdales with the 350 engine, or Chieftains with the old Albion 4-potter?

Casey,I only worked at Ross for a very short time,I got a transfer from Tyburn Road Birmingham depot.The Albion,s were new then but had a major brake problem,they all pulled to the n/s badly and the drivers would not take them out.We found out they had the wrong brake cam fitted. :blush: The foreman had us remove all the brake hubs and there was an engineer from Leyland at the depot for a couple of days.

wideboybob:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Hi bob and rof ,magic shot ,those BMC units did alot for Pressed steel fisher between Longbridge and Llanelli ,regards Keith .

[attachment=0]this%20iamg.jpg[/attachment]

Just found this pic on scrapbook memories thread

Merrin End,

Hi.
Hull Depot.1966 Got the start,a week shunting around Hull and the docks in a 4 wheeler Mercury,(they shadowed me in a grey moggie minor van to see if i was ok),then i was given a Bristol tractor unit.It was as honest as the day was long and never let me down,a Proper man George Humphries was yard forman and came across the second week and asked why i was not putting mileages onto the Op 6.I said it was because it was so old it did not have a mileometer on it…He walked me across the yard to it,reached down to a spindly thing sticking out of the chassis,pulled off a rubber cup and…there was the mileometer.Two other laughs,when it rained you had to lower the seat to see where the wipers had cleared and if ever it ran out of air,a metal flag would drop down out of a cylinder above the windscreen with “STOP” cut out of it. I then got a NEW Seddon with a RR engine in it,that flew along,and i went on Freightmasters contract now and again with that.
George Humphries,Dennis Naggs,Jockey Isley,Sid Hann…Ben Nevis !,Bobby Beitch? Johnny Jesus, Appy Appleby… ? Saddington,Side saddle “Ossie” Ossington and more,when cabs were wood and men were STEEL/…Steal? :unamused: Happy days,the lorries spent more time in Woodside Cafe than they ever did in the yard.
hulltramper

Great memory , Hulltramper , lovely to read :sunglasses: .

JAKEY:
Great memory , Hulltramper , lovely to read :sunglasses: .

Hi.
Thanks Jakey,but its only reading the other posts,that makes you glad you were on the road during those times and bring back happy days and names of grand mates. Take care.
hulltramper
PS. It was Ferrymasters Hull…NOT Freightmasters DOH! Chap there was Ben Bonner and a young traffic clerke “Tricky Dicky”. Tricky came to BRS as a traffic clerke later,and it was about the time they were doing away with the medium range trailers. Of course,Hull had loads of the new trailers and you had to hang on to them,because other depots would set you up for home with a loaded shorter trailer. I was down Colchester somewhere and was told to drop the new trailer by their clerke and take a loaded m/range,we had “an exchange of words” and he said he would ring Hull. I could see his face getting redder,he handed me the phone and said.“Here” Tricky Dicky asked me what the weather was like,i said it was nice he then said." Its ■■■■■■■ down here, your done there,bring your trailer out and ring me from up the road,i have just told him to stick his load up his…'arris".GOT TO STOP NOW i’m burning diesel again !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: , Im ex Oxford depot ,yts,then apprentice in the workshops before going on the road for them for a total of 15 years ,1984 start .

Today at the Tramway Museum at Crich, Derbyshire -

Bristol - Rugby Depot FB5 - VOM174:

Found this in my Dad’s old paperwork etc, from his days at BRS Cowley, Oxford Group, Jakey/Steve be of interest to you, also Ivor/Toshboy 1952 this would be when you were on there with Dad yes? Regards Chris

Scan0002.jpg

adr:
Found this in my Dad’s old paperwork etc, from his days at BRS Cowley, Oxford Group, Jakey/Steve be of interest to you, also Ivor/Toshboy 1952 this would be when you were on there with Dad yes? Regards Chris

Hi Chris.
Hope your keeping well mate ,same here .you have caused me to get up into a very hot loft this morning ! . anyway found my life’s records of stuff which has given me an hours reminiscence ,yes found the same Diploma as Charlie dated Dec 1952 so may have been an annual thing . Got me thinking about accidents -we hardly had any those days despite overloading and servo brakes , but no comparison to these days . We had relaxing jobs looking back and we enjoyed our mates and always stopped to help anyone who looked like they needed a hand on the road etc. Found Charlies Scammel you posted on another thread -a classic a nice keepsake ,copied it for myself so hope that’s ok by you . Regards Ivor

toshboy:

adr:

Hi Chris.
Hope your keeping well mate ,same here .you have caused me to get up into a very hot loft this morning ! . anyway found my life’s records of stuff which has given me an hours reminiscence ,yes found the same Diploma as Charlie dated Dec 1952 so may have been an annual thing . Got me thinking about accidents -we hardly had any those days despite overloading and servo brakes , but no comparison to these days . We had relaxing jobs looking back and we enjoyed our mates and always stopped to help anyone who looked like they needed a hand on the road etc. Found Charlies Scammel you posted on another thread -a classic a nice keepsake ,copied it for myself so hope that’s ok by you . Regards Ivor

Morning Ivor, yes we are keeping well, Mum not been too good last couple of weeks but she was 92 a fortnight ago but she is picking up again, different breed, tough as old boots still lives on her own in her little bungalow with her dog & can still wipe the floor with any of us if needed :laughing: :laughing: Bit of nostalgia is always good, no harm looking back because those days may have been harder but I definately think they were better :smiley: I always look back on my days with Dad in his wagon’s, as you will remember Dad was a very calm man & nothing ever seemed to fluster him either at work or at home, an amazing Father I was very lucky , but as you say it was slower & there was always time for a chat & a cup of tea, not the tearing around nowadays, everyone looking at the clock, set times for loading/unloading/vehicle checks/having a dump etc etc, I remember his old Drivers rooms, always laughter & p*** taking, but you were all in a hard job & you helped each other through, be it with a helping hand, passing on knowledge/experience or sometime just an encouraging word, it all helps. No problem with the photo, I’m not precious about photos I think pics are for looking at & anyone wishes to copy any of mine you carry on. Regards Chris

Hello Chris , have they painted your truck up in Air products livery yet ?

Love seeing your dads award , can I post it on my BRITISH ROAD SERVICES OXFORD face book page please ?

Regards Steve

On the subject of the job being slower, I love this pic’, never mind legal breaks, tacho’s etc etc, what are they :unamused: none of that crap to worry about, I’m going to stop & have a ■■■/Cupa Rosey etc cos I feel like it. Regards Chris

JAKEY:
Hello Chris , have they painted your truck up in Air products livery yet ?

Love seeing your dads award , can I post it on my BRITISH ROAD SERVICES OXFORD face book page please ?

Regards Steve

Hi Steve, hope you are well mate, Melvin too :smiley: Was that you sat in the garage at Milton couple of weeks ago? I’ve seen you on the road a couple of times too :smiley: No my Horse is still in Cryoservice colours mate & she’ll stay like it now thank God, she is too old now so they won’t paint her, mine was in for service that day so I had a different wagon, new AP colours look like a flipping milk tanker :unamused: :confused: . Yes mate post Dad’s certificate where you like, no probs, these things should be seen by anyone that’s interested. Regards Chris

adr:
On the subject of the job being slower, I love this pic’, never mind legal breaks, tacho’s etc etc, what are they :unamused: none of that crap to worry about, I’m going to stop & have a ■■■/Cupa Rosey etc cos I feel like it. Regards Chris

And my misses can go for a walk too(right hand side of picture!)

David