British road Services

CJA1 , great clippings on the Crusader and Marathon .

Gaydon

The Leyland Steer Chinese-six was from BRS Carlisle Group. The Maudsley was part of the Sherwood Group based at Dock Road, Worksop, later being transferred to BRS Barnsley. Chris

Bristol etc. Chris

adr:
Bristol etc. Chris

Entered service in June 1962 Fleet no 1A187

Total ■■■■■ IMO.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Total [zb] IMO.

Right on Larry you tell 'em how it was ! Anyway more importantly how are you keeping and even more importantly how is your Good Lady wife I hope she is doing better. Kind regards to you both Dennis.

Well Dennis Ive got her home from hospital, She is doing ok at present, Im looking to get away for a holiday shortley, Ive got all the gear Wheel chair, Leccy Buggy, Walkinsticks for two of course. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:., Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well Dennis Ive got her home from hospital, She is doing ok at present, Im looking to get away for a holiday shortley, Ive got all the gear Wheel chair, Leccy Buggy, Walkinsticks for two of course. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:., Regards Larry.

Great to hear that the good lady is on the mend Larry . Dave

Lawrence Dunbar:

Has your stick got an Eaton two speed on it Larry ? There is a retired driver from Penrith who goes by the nick name of “■■■■■■■■■■ John” who attends the various truck Shows and has a Two speed button on his walking stick ! He used to drive for Ridings and possibly Finney’s so that was the reason for his nick name I Cheers Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Howay Lawrence, Glad to hear that you are doing alright. Make sure you drive your leccy buggy in a safe manner.
Divnt do any racing or wheelies on it. Where I live there are a lot of buggies, mainly driven by old fogies, some
drive on the footpath, and others choose to drive on the road. Most of them wear dark clothing and can be unseen
by the type of mainly car drivers who tear arse along and don’t concentrate on reading the road ahead.

About 10 years ago, I was talking to James McMullan of McMullan Transport from Ballymoney, Co.Antrim when I
called in at their Wigan Depot one morning, and we happened to talk about “Hard To Spot” buggy drivers ahead,
James and I agreed that they ought to be more visible on the roadway. James then went on to say that he had
recently received 50 Sleeveless HiVis jackets for his drivers, costing only £2.00 each. I then asked him to get some
for me, so he phoned his supplier in Ballymoney, and asked for a further 20 to be sent here for me. My HiVis jackets
were put on one of James`s trailers that came over from Larne to Fleetwood that same night, and given to me the
following day. I handed most of them out to our local buggy drivers, some actually wear the jacket, and some have
it attached to the back of the seat. That was my good deed for the day, Just £40.00 for extra safety.

I saw a programme the other night about British people living in Benidorm, Spain, and I saw 1 old Gadgy on a 2 seater
buggy, with “Her Indoors” on the pillion, one of those would suit you and Mrs Dunbar. Cheers, Ray Smyth.

In the book A Pictorial History of BRS, there is a photo of Micheldean Depot. AEC OSD32 is seen leaving the depot. Is this an ex Smiths lorry? Also, on Bob Alloas BRS England and Wales website. Pictures 445 and 500 show ERF SUH 570 GP? Also, photo 610 shows a BMC van GP145. Does anyone know anything about these vehicles?
Regards Wal

May be able to shine a bit of light on the Mitcheldean photos, Wal, but can’t be too sure without seeing the photos.
What size/model was the BMC van? There was a little J4 van with, I think, a 1.5 BMC diesel which was the depot’s service van, inherited from the George Read fleet. Later came a “Noddy” van from South Wales. Leylandlover may be able to give you more info.

Anybody know if the Swindon depot was always at Greenbridge, or was there a yard somewhere else before that ?

Retired Old ■■■■:
May be able to shine a bit of light on the Mitcheldean photos, Wal, but can’t be too sure without seeing the photos.
What size/model was the BMC van? There was a little J4 van with, I think, a 1.5 BMC diesel which was the depot’s service van, inherited from the George Read fleet. Later came a “Noddy” van from South Wales. Leylandlover may be able to give you more info.

These are the 2 photos

Service vehicles at Merrin End when I worked there was a J4 diesel van a petrol Landrover and of course a bloody Matador :slight_smile: Done a few miles on breakdowns with the J4 It had the sliding front doors.The Landrover had a front winch and a compressor.I had gone to Uncle Richards by the time the noddy van got there. :smiley:

adr:
Bristol etc. Chris

out of interest what engine and gearbox did those bristols have in

fredm:

adr:
Bristol etc. Chris

out of interest what engine and gearbox did those bristols have in

Hiya,
Mainly 150 Gardner’s but some had the Leyland 600 better motor of the two
have driven both, the Leyland engined job outshone the Percy by a mile.
thanks harry, long retired.

leylandlover:
Service vehicles at Merrin End when I worked there was a J4 diesel van a petrol Landrover and of course a bloody Matador :slight_smile: Done a few miles on breakdowns with the J4 It had the sliding front doors.The Landrover had a front winch and a compressor.I had gone to Uncle Richards by the time the noddy van got there. :smiley:

I thought you might have some input, Clive. The “Noddy” appeared just before my second stint at Merrin End.
I believe SUH570H was fleet number GP151 but time has had quite a serious effect on the memory!
OSD32 was probably ex- Smith’s- doesn’t seem like a Read number to me.

Thanks for the info chaps, much appreciated
Regards Wal